PDA

View Full Version : pavers with border

bobcatnj
03-08-2006, 02:19 PM
when doing a walkway with a border do you do the border, the inside first, or do you do 1 straight path across the walkway?im doing a walkway using anchor cobble(inside) and holland for the border.

landscapingpoolguy
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
What came first the chicken or the egg?

landscapingpoolguy
03-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Depends on how wide the walkway is and curves etc. Usually well lay the edge restraint as the ouline of the walkway. Then lay the border, then lay the block and make cuts.

bobcatnj
03-08-2006, 05:49 PM
the walkway is 3 feet wide and is straight.so your sayin is to lay the edge restraint, then the border then the inside?

kris
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm not a real fan of laying edge restraint first and but there is no "right" way ...In your case of a straight walk it would be fine.... if you do lay the edge restraint I would not do both sides until you see where you end up on the other side with no cutting.
Just remember to put your edge restraint on the base not the sand.

So ya , edge restraint, sand, lay your holland stone then other.

amvega
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
We do it either way. Sometimes we put the edge restraint done, then the inside soldier course(border as you call it), then the main pattern, then the outside soldier course, and finally the outside edge restraint. Since you are doing a straight walkway I would do it that way. On curve walkways it easier doing the edge restraint last. That way you can adjust the walkway as you go. Hope that answered your question. I am ICPI so I will not steer you wrong.:cool2:

landscapingpoolguy
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
With a straight walk id prolly lay the restraint last. I use a restraint thats more flexible so just following a string line would prolly work best for a straight walk. I rarely do anything without a radius.

Chuck

mbella
03-08-2006, 11:02 PM
We never lay the edge restraint first.

Chuck, have you ever tried overlaying and cutting in place?

landscapingpoolguy
03-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Dont realy like to do that because the pavers tend to move aorund. I know its faster but I dont feel its as clean.

kris
03-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Dont realy like to do that because the pavers tend to move aorund. I know its faster but I dont feel its as clean.

I really cant get the guys to do it much ... it takes a very skilled guy on the saw and when a tight curve you need to remove and cut. Another issue is that sand will eat up a diamond blade really fast. If you cut dry there is lots of dust and if wet you have a bit of a mess that needs to be cleaned right away.
I found that you could cut on a very slight inward angle 1/2-3/4 of the way through the paver then give it a wack on the side with a hammer and it breaks perfectly. there is a fine line to doing it properly and you need to take all these issues into consideration....I really can't put it into words...it's just experience. If done with skill it can be a huge time saver.

neversatisfiedj
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
If its a 3' or 4' walk I lay edging first then I screen sand off it.

neversatisfiedj
03-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Anyone used the quick draw tool from Pavetech for marking ? Looks pretty nice.