PDA

View Full Version : wb or stander

CAG
03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Would you say that a stander could replace a wb on all hills.. I'm thinking of trying one out because we picked up a commercial account with a lot of hills that are pretty long and steep. The problem is right now we run two ztrs and a wb on a trailer.. the two ztrs have to stay on the trailer but I'm wondering if the stander could handle all the inclines the wb can..Also can you drive them up a steep incline without them getting tippie... Any input would be great!!Also have they ever made a 48inch model because thats the size i think I would prefer and I would be looking for a used one.. thanks

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Would you say that a stander could replace a wb on all hills.. I'm thinking of trying one out because we picked up a commercial account with a lot of hills that are pretty long and steep. The problem is right now we run two ztrs and a wb on a trailer.. the two ztrs have to stay on the trailer but I'm wondering if the stander could handle all the inclines the wb can..Also can you drive them up a steep incline without them getting tippie... Any input would be great!!Also have they ever made a 48inch model because thats the size i think I would prefer and I would be looking for a used one.. thanks

Demo one:usflag:

LawnGuy73
03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Demo one:usflag:

There it is.... :hammerhead:

rodneyskip
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Deere has a 48". It is the 647 Quik-Trak.
I doubt a stander could do EVERY incline that a WB could do, but it might be able to do every incline you need it to do.

jtkplc
03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I've got experience with both the Wright Stander (52" and 61") and the Great Dane Super Surfer (52"). The Super Surfers will not hold a hill. The longer frame makes for some fun rides and difficult handling. The Stander, in my opinion, is in another league, all by itself.

The Wright comes in 48" deck width.

As far as handling every hill, I would guess, no. I think some hills are only able to be done with a walk-behind.

I've gone up a few hills that the front end will come up on the Wright, a little scary, but if you lean forward enough it should be a rare occurrence.

Like others have said, demo one, that is the only way you will know. No one on here can tell you for sure.

PaulJ
03-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Didn't we already have this discussion/argument a couple months ago??

lawn_pro
03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
we tried a stander-it sucked....buy a walk-behind, TRUST ME

ZaK18
03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
we tried a stander-it sucked....buy a walk-behind, TRUST ME

Please be more specific...What sucked about it :confused:

lawn_pro
03-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Please be more specific...What sucked about it :confused:

We tried a 36", impossible to keep the thing on any type of a hill, difficult to mow a straight line, none of us thought the cut was great, rear tires always went flat(probably just the machine we had, but it could have been the design of the machine w/the rider standing directly above the rear wheels), the controls were strange-they almost seemed backwards, to tell you the truth-it really wasn't that comfortable. One thing I did like was how compact the machine was, I see guys using them around town so I guess they like 'em, we mow a apartment complex that is right next door to another apartmet, the lco responsible uses standers, thier lines are all over the place, it makes us look real good.

David Grass
03-09-2006, 08:04 AM
We tried a 36", impossible to keep the thing on any type of a hill, difficult to mow a straight line, none of us thought the cut was great, rear tires always went flat(probably just the machine we had, but it could have been the design of the machine w/the rider standing directly above the rear wheels), the controls were strange-they almost seemed backwards, to tell you the truth-it really wasn't that comfortable. One thing I did like was how compact the machine was, I see guys using them around town so I guess they like 'em, we mow a apartment complex that is right next door to another apartmet, the lco responsible uses standers, thier lines are all over the place, it makes us look real good.
I have noticed that until you get up into the 50 inches or so, nothing really holds a hill great if going side to side. The extra "reaching out" of a larger deck actually helps on hills (at least on Walker, Toro, and Hustler)

PaulJ
03-09-2006, 08:48 AM
If Hustler made a stander wiht the h-bar controls I would probably buy one but until hten I'll stick to my Super WB

PGA
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM

I felt that same way for the first 2 weeks of using one. All it is though is getting used to the machine. I had a terrible time getting my lines straight but now its a snap. They are very hard to get used to. Although I did notice the cramping left my hands after only a few weeks of using it over my walkbehind.

I found they can take on any hill although you constantly have the feeling your going to tip over. Its a weird sensation.

IMO the Wright Stander is a great machine and I plan on buying another this year.

jtkplc
03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
It sounds like to me that some your problems with the Wright Stander are not enough experience on one. It's no harding to make a Stander go straight than a hydro walk-behind or a Z, it's the same principle. It's a little weird to get used to, but the principle is the same.

lawn_pro
03-09-2006, 07:09 PM
we used it every day for a week, maybe that wasn't enough time..regardless, other lco's properties around here that use standers look like crap...maybe its just the operators or they just don't care what it looks like...

PGA
03-09-2006, 07:31 PM
we used it every day for a week, maybe that wasn't enough time..regardless, other lco's properties around here that use standers look like crap...maybe its just the operators or they just don't care what it looks like...

Like I said before, it took me a couple weeks to get used to it. Keep trying. I know you'll be completely happy when you get the hang of it!

CAG
03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
thanks for all the info so far!!
i agree that if i demo it for just a day or two it would not give me a good idea of what the machine can do as far as inclines.. what a new operator can do can not be compare to things a experienced operator can do with a machine..

down size
03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a 52 inch had it for 4 years and love it. I can put it on any bank that a W/B can go on . Also have a JD quik-trak 667 it needs to be in the bottom of a lake!!!! worst mower iv'e ever owned (IT WILL NOT STAY ON A BANK) it has a hard time staying on flat ground! Went to looked at the new standers yesterday yes they do have 48 inch. They have made a lot of changes to them. Will demo one when season starts

robertsturf
03-09-2006, 10:36 PM
We have 2 52" Standers and they are more stable on any hill that we mow than our walk-behind,. Simply because they have a wider stance and tires than our walk-behind. As far as mowing straight lines a person can mow straight or crooked lines with anything. It just depends on the ablility and experience of the operator. In otherwords I would say operator error!!

ProMo
03-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I have a 36 stander and a 54 qwik trak. The deere wont hold a hill the stander does pretty good but not much traction in wet areas so I use a wb on a couple of lake areas.

rodneyskip
03-10-2006, 11:21 AM
ProMo and down size-

Could you give more input on your deere quik-traks? I was going in today to order one- now you guys have given me second thoughts. I was looking at the 657 54". Are you guys saying that you wish that you had not bought a deere stander- or are you just stating that they are not good on slopes?

Any input would be appreciated- it could save me from making a big mistake!

wahlturfcare
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I have used the Great Dane 52' super surfer and love them on hills. I could even get it to back up hills. When doing them you have to take it easy, especially when turning. I could also do some pretty good striping going up an down, when going down I would slightly jerk the controls alittle to control the speed going down.
I tried a 61' and it wouldnt work at all.
I have some pictures of the hills i've done somewhere on the computer if anyone wants to see them.

CAG
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
That would be great if you could post some pics.... thanks

lawnboyri1
03-10-2006, 02:40 PM
We have 3 52" Wright Standers that do the majority of our cutting good on hills to a certain degree. We also have 1-48",3-36" Gravely walkbehinds and 4-21 Lawnboy mower for the smaller and steeper areas we maintain. The largest mower we have is a 72" Gravely w/ Peco catcher system for our largest properties. My own opinion is the mower is too big and rather sell or trade it for more Standers, but my boss likes it too much

robertsturf
03-10-2006, 02:54 PM
657 is a good mower with some limitations. One being it doesn't do well on slopes. The other they seem to have a hard time turning without tearing up turf. I had one and sold it because of those reasons. The 7-Iron deck was fantastic and striped well. I loved the deck adjustment, and at 23Hp it had plenty of power.

rodneyskip
03-10-2006, 03:09 PM
657 is a good mower with some limitations. One being it doesn't do well on slopes. The other they seem to have a hard time turning without tearing up turf. I had one and sold it because of those reasons. The 7-Iron deck was fantastic and striped well. I loved the deck adjustment, and at 23Hp it had plenty of power.

Robert,

What kind of turf do you cut primarily?

I am now reweighing my options between the 657 and the 727. Do you have any input on this machine?

If you were going to buy a Deere to replace the 657 what would you buy?

Thanks

Adam3669
03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
If you are saying that the stander doesn't mow in straight lines, you have got to be kidding. It is the operator. If you are trying to mow straight but aren't, its your fault and you should learn how to operate the machine. The stander does an excellent job on the majority of hills, given that you must lean forwards on some. The cut isn't the best, but good. If you learn how to turn correctly you can completely avoid tearing up the yard. Between the Stander and the Great Dane, I would not purchase the Great Dane; I have only heard bad things about the Super Surfer. I own two of the 36", one a rapid height, and they are both very comfortable. The rapid height works very smooth and I would highly reccomend it.

John Gamba
03-10-2006, 03:43 PM
If you are saying that the stander doesn't mow in straight lines, you have got to be kidding. It is the operator. If you are trying to mow straight but aren't, its your fault and you should learn how to operate the machine. The stander does an excellent job on the majority of hills, given that you must lean forwards on some. The cut isn't the best, but good. If you learn how to turn correctly you can completely avoid tearing up the yard. Between the Stander and the Great Dane, I would not purchase the Great Dane; I have only heard bad things about the Super Surfer. I own two of the 36", one a rapid height, and they are both very comfortable. The rapid height works very smooth and I would highly reccomend it.

The stander is toooo short to cut in a straight line on larger props.Think about it.

robertsturf
03-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Rodney we primarily mow commercial properties 3 acres or less. And just a few residentials. Most of our commercials are HOA's or patio homes. In the Midwest we just have a lot of hilly neighborhoods. WE feel the Wright Stander is a good fit for US. YOU have to weight your needs vs. what you have to mow etc. I don't know about the rider option for the John Deere. The deck is the same ( that is good) but you have the wheel base problem vs what type of turf you have to mow.

Adam3669
03-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Mr. Gamba, I do beleive they make 61" Standers do they not?

down size
03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes they do make a 61. I have a 52 and can make just as straight lines with it on any size property.

John Gamba
03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Mr. Gamba, I do beleive they make 61" Standers do they not?

I didnt wide:hammerhead: i said short:hammerhead:

John Gamba
03-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes they do make a 61. I have a 52 and can make just as straight lines with it on any size property.

Show me:waving:

down size
03-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Have run it for 4years. the trick is to lower the air pressure in all 4 tires so you don't get so much bounce because the mower is shorter. If you would like to see come to indy in about three weeks I can always use some good experienced help!

PTP
03-10-2006, 08:44 PM
A while back I decided that I was tired of trimming a ditch so I took my stander on it. It was all of 45 degrees and I was going side to side. Now, I left some pretty good tire marks there but I did mow it.

John Gamba
03-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Have run it for 4years. the trick is to lower the air pressure in all 4 tires so you don't get so much bounce because the mower is shorter. If you would like to see come to indy in about three weeks I can always use some good experienced help!

A pic would be cool

down size
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I guess this means l'll have to find someone else? HA! HA!!I'll post some pictures when the grass greens up.