PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts

TWUllc
03-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Man, I'm having second thoughts about getting into spraying. I've been in school the past 2 semesters taking Pesticide courses and such that will count as an alternative to experience in the field for Maryland Applicator's License. The more I learn, the more risky I see how things are, and how much of a headache it could turn out to be. Am I overracting? Or are some of these assumptions on my part true?

KLR
03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
dont over think it

not sure what headaches you are thinking of but sure there will be headaches, what business doesnt?

you can earn a decent living just use your head when handling the products and be honest with your customers (no one knows all the answers, dont pretent with your customers that you do)

you'll do fine

indyturf
03-08-2006, 09:30 PM
you sound like my nephew, I helped him get licensed and was going to set him up with equipment. then he got cold feet! worried about burning lawn's or doing something wrong. he ended up working at a golf coarse for $10 an hr. if you have your license and want to do this type of work, I say go for it! we all were new at this at one time or another and it's not rocket science, just read and follow the label, take your time, you have many experienced people on this site to help you, along with your fertilizer suppliers. you could find somebody not to far from you that would let you come and work with them for a day or two. then do a couple family or friends lawn's for practice. it doesn't take long to get the hang of it! good luck!

Green-Pro
03-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Just use these things to help you along:

The education you are undertaking regarding applying.

God given common sense (i.e. don't take chances, say if wind speed picks up, make the call, if it doesn't seem like the right thing to be out spraying then don't)

and follow the label directions

Aww He!! just do the opposite of Chemlawn and you'll be fine :clapping:

somo1
03-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Just use these things to help you along:

The education you are undertaking regarding applying.

God given common sense (i.e. don't take chances, say if wind speed picks up, make the call, if it doesn't seem like the right thing to be out spraying then don't)

and follow the label directions

Aww He!! just do the opposite of Chemlawn and you'll be fine :clapping:

I agree with greeny, common sense plays a big part. Have storms coming in today and the wind had to be gusting to 30-40 mph. TGCL still out spraying, can you believe this sh---! I talked to a tech one day, and he didn't even know the mixture in the tank, just that one had pre-m and the other didn't.

Hey Second thoughts, here is some advice. When you start out spraying liquid herb. use more water. This will knock your percentage of concentrate down alot. Can't cover as many lawns, but when you get the hang of it you can step it up. And double check your application rates of product used against the sq. ft. treated. This will help out a bunch in letting you know if you are over/under applying. Good Luck and don't worry.

ThreeWide
03-09-2006, 08:39 AM
We've all been in your shoes at some point in time.

Practice spraying your own lawn as much as possible.

You will be surprised how many little things you will learn in that process. Those little things will help when it comes to doing your customer's properties.

And when you are spraying a product you've never used before, just be aware they all have nuances about proper application. Read the labels in detail.

You will start to gain confidence when you spray a property for weeds, then go back 4 weeks later and find that what you did actually worked!

Rhett@Gregson-Clark
03-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I could not agree more with all of the previous posts. It's ok to be apprehensive
and it is wise to consult others with experience in this industry. Applying pesticides requires specialized knowledge and equipment and there are risks. That is why you will you will always be able to make a lot more money doing this than
other services. My hunch is that you will do fine, however you could probably use a local mentor. I have a customer in your area that I think would be a great resource for you. PM me, give me call (800-706-9530) or click on the Gregson-Clark link above and I will be happy to hook you up. I wish you success and remember that real growth takes place outside of your comfort zone.

TWUllc
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I called a local LCO that I know personally, and am going to do a little intern work whenever I am free to get used to using the equipment, and to help speed my experience up some. Wish me luck! Thanks again everyone! :waving: