PDA

View Full Version : Ever cut the wrong lawn?

StBalor
03-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I cut grass for a realtor and he gave me an address to a house he was selling. wanted me to clean the yard and cutt the grass. He said the home owner would not be home. I went there and there was a van in the drive but i did not think nothing of it. half way through i noticed people looking out the window at us. they never came outside and since the realtor was paying me i never bothered them. I just got done and the realtor came by and stopped. he said he wanted to make sure i found the house ok cause he was getting ready to leave after waiting for a plumber at the house he was selling. I said, Isn't this the house you wanted me to cut? he said no, and told me the address. well i showed him the paper he gave me, he had wrote down the wrong address. so we ended up taking care of someones lawn for free. And it was a mess when we got there. did not look like it had been cut in months.
I then went to the house i was suppose to cut and while there the homeowner from the 1st house stops by and asks me if he owes me anything? I told him no, this realtor already took care of it. but here's my card if you need me in the future. and if you ever sell your house look up this realtor.

Sir mowsalot
03-08-2006, 06:31 PM
ROTFLMAO

It is a good thing you guys arent in the demolition business. Just kiddin ^5

TURF DOCTOR
03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
You are on top man,i would have never told that 1.

mulcahy mowing
03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
lol thats realtors for ya lol.

deereman
03-08-2006, 06:41 PM
We were doing one of our commercial accts (nursing home-hospital) and I was way behide on my work load. So a good friend of mine wanted to help so I let him , told him the where the property line was and he shook his head yes. I took one part of the property and he took the other and usually we meet in the middle when we run two mowers on it. I got to the middle and ge was no where to be found!;) I tram over to his side of the property and he went down right where I told him to go but started cutting in the opposite direction of where he was suppose too!:hammerhead: We had a good laugh but it put us back 40-45 min. And they got free lawn care. for at least that part of the lawn!:angry:

RedWingsDet
03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
ya ive cut the wrong lawn before. Im just waiting for the day where someone plays a prank on me and I tear out the wrong lawn. LOL

Az Gardener
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
ROTFLMAO

That happened here in Phx. a couple of years ago, demmo guys tore down the wrong house. They had some splainen to do. Years ago as a newbie I went to the wrong house and sprayed the entire back yard with round-up. Was prepping for a landscape renovation. Here there are st, place, way, ave etc. got a place and a way mixed up. Never heard from the people.

P & L Turf
03-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I've not only cut the wrong house before, but I've also areated the wrong house before to. Thats what I get for listening to someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.:hammerhead:

nephilim0167
03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Good marketing tactics :laugh: There is actually a volunteer program that I used to participate in called Random Acts of Kindness. Basically there would be anywhere from 3-5 people in a group we would go to a house or person at a shopping center and perform a random act of kindness. We mowed a lot of lawns. We then would leave a card on the door saying what the program was, to pay it forward etc etc. Got so many calls asking if we'd go and take care of their landscaping regularly :laugh:

PGA
03-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Last fall I did a full cleanup, gutters, and a winterizer app for the wrong house.

The lady called me a 2 weeks later complaining I hadnt been there...

I was one street off but I swore up and down she said "terrace" and not "drive". I wrote it down "terrace" on 3 different sheets of paper.

I went to the house the next day and did the right one.

The funny thing is I left my little yard marker like I always do after an app, its got my name and # on it and the people never called me to even tell me I did the wrong house.

SOMM
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Got 3 accounts on the same street that way:

The competition's, every 2-week-route's new-hires couldn't understand their supervisor's instructions when he dropped him off with their 1.5"-set 48"wb decks that summer afternoon that it didn't rain the next day as forcasted. "Cut this one, skip those 2, cut the next two, and then the one before the last one. He pulls off with dust flying to pick up the groundsmasters operators on the other end of an adjacent common grounds contract nearby. He gets back and finds his new hires scratched their heads and decided the goal would also get accomplished until he returned by laterally mowing every front lawn on the block!

Our flyers went out same week when we heard about it, and lucked out. Timing is everything.

muddstopper
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I had a realitor have me cut and remove some trees off a lot, actually I cleared the lot so they could start grading, only to find out he had looked at the survey platt wrong and had me clearing the wrong lot. The two old ladies that actually owned the lot i cleared, where there the next day and they where just a little bit upset. Realitor ended up buying the lot from the old ladies to keep from getting sued.

Harry0
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I cut grass for a realtor and he gave me an address to a house he was selling. wanted me to clean the yard and cutt the grass. He said the home owner would not be home. I went there and there was a van in the drive but i did not think nothing of it. half way through i noticed people looking out the window at us. they never came outside and since the realtor was paying me i never bothered them. I just got done and the realtor came by and stopped. he said he wanted to make sure i found the house ok cause he was getting ready to leave after waiting for a plumber at the house he was selling. I said, Isn't this the house you wanted me to cut? he said no, and told me the address. well i showed him the paper he gave me, he had wrote down the wrong address. so we ended up taking care of someones lawn for free. And it was a mess when we got there. did not look like it had been cut in months.
I then went to the house i was suppose to cut and while there the homeowner from the 1st house stops by and asks me if he owes me anything? I told him no, this realtor already took care of it. but here's my card if you need me in the future. and if you ever sell your house look up this realtor.

Stbalor-You are cutting lawns already in March? Most of my lawns have not been cut in months. (NJ) More like a clean-up cut I guess.
I once did a small plant job for a customer reffered to me by an existing long term customer. We had a verbal agreement. I finished the job, and the owner pulled up and said, 'You didnt get my message". She said she called and left a message on my machine that she sold the house. Long story short, I removed the plants(10 evergreens and 18 perennials) and left the job like it was before I got there. I lost 4 hours of labor. It was a invaluble lesson as I have not done a job since then without a deposit and contract.
Harry

jtkplc
03-08-2006, 09:28 PM
ROTFLMAO

That's hilarious!!!

I've done a few wrong lawns before with the other company I work for. For the mobile home communities we cut we have maps that we go by with each lawn highlighted with a highlighter. Periodically thoughout the year people will move or whatever and we will have a new place added and several times a year the wrong lot gets marked on the map so we end up cutting the wrong lawn. You feel stupid, but it's not your fault, you were just following the map...:hammerhead:

Mr. Vern
03-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Never had that one happen personally, but do have a story to share. A good friend of mine was working for another friend of ours and was supposed to go and tear off some gutters and replace them. He got the gutters torn off and got to thinking "I better check the address again", sure enough he got the wrong house. He called the boss and told him what he had done, and Jimmy told him "you better hurry up and get them new gutters on that house before the home owner gets home" it's a lot easier to explain after you have fixed the mess. I still laugh about that one every time I think of it.

lawnboyblake
03-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Yup,
I've definately done some work at the wrong house before. My buddies mom wanted her yard dethatched last spring, no biggie. Said its the grey one on the left, not a big neighborhood, easy find. Said I would be able to get the tractor in the back yard, there was a boat and pool in the way, hmmmm. Oh well, keep on working. Then, the lady comes out of the house and is like "what are you doing"? I said this isn't Theresa's house is it? So, I then picked up all the thatch and went to the right house. Turns out she is friends with my buddies mom and everyone got a big laugh out of the whole deal, and I worked for FREE!!!!!!!!!:weightlifter:

Brendan Smith
03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
never happened to me (it's like that "i have a friend who... statement you always hear but in this case its true) but when i first started in the business, the guy i was working with left me a one house and went to do another one he had just picked up and was about halfway through the back yard and hears a tremendous blast. turns out it was the lady didn't tell her husband that he was going to cut the yard and the guy freaked out and fired a shotgun over his head. my ex-buddy said he thought his neighbors who he didn't like had hired someone to cut his grass but he wanted it out of control to piss them off (some wierd, long standing conflict). my buddy was trying to explain the situation and said he was leaving, but the guy told him to finish and went back inside. my ex-buddy went back to the front and loaded his mower, the guy came back out and aksed him if he was leaving, he said no just filling back up with gas. the guy went back inside and my ex-buddy took off, never to return. i almost died laughing when he came back to the site where i was working.

sheshovel
03-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Did the realtor pay you for both house?If he dident he should have..it was his mistake not yours.I would
ask him to pay you for both.

The mayor
03-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Someone has been plowing my parents driveway all winter. They swear it is me sneaking over at night to do it. This last snowfall the guy was doing their drive in the daytime. They found out it wasn't me. Nice act of charity. And it saved me a trip. Now if I can get the guy to mow their lawn I would be set.

daveintoledo
03-09-2006, 09:10 AM
but im not gettting any younger and my eyesight isnt getting any better.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

meets1
03-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Funny! I had it one time, new guy, we mow a string of condo's. There is another row of condo's on opposide side of an alley. i told him to start at condo #6, 2121 address and mow towards the middle, then we'll do the fronts and start to trim. So I mow the side, get to the back, NO WHERE! I fgure he may be talking, make another round or two, go back, still nothing. Now I jump off mower, shut it down and I here the other mower running. Here is skipped over the alley and started mowing the other condo. Needless to say, I talked to the condo people, and we mowed the backyard FREE! Since he already went around the edges.

Snow Plowing - lady calls me and asked why I plowed when it is still snowing. I told her we never did. This is at 9 at nite. 1/2 later she calls back and says that me or one of our guys just went through her garage door. I said, its not us! What color or what truck is there. She said a black one (which we don't have) I said well, I'll take a look in the morning. Sure enough, garage door buckeled in, tracks all over and to this day no one knows who did that driveway!

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Great idea for a thread.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Keep them stories comming guys!!!

sikagrass
03-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I cut a large vacant lot for the city ( code enforcement). It was a real jungle full of trash, junk, and 6 foot weeds.I goofed and inverted the last two numbers and did the one across the street. Been 20 years and to this day when I get a new adress I doublecheck over and over.Doing double work was a painful lesson not easily forgotten.

StBalor
03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Stbalor-You are cutting lawns already in March? Most of my lawns have not been cut in months. (NJ) More like a clean-up cut I guess.
I once did a small plant job for a customer reffered to me by an existing long term customer. We had a verbal agreement. I finished the job, and the owner pulled up and said, 'You didnt get my message". She said she called and left a message on my machine that she sold the house. Long story short, I removed the plants(10 evergreens and 18 perennials) and left the job like it was before I got there. I lost 4 hours of labor. It was a invaluble lesson as I have not done a job since then without a deposit and contract.
Harry

No, this happened last year. grass doesn't start growing here for a few more weeks.

PLS-Tx
03-09-2006, 06:38 PM
ROTFLMAO

Now that's funny. :laugh:

I'm glad everything worked out the way it did, that could have gotten ugly.

jgc8fan
03-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Never cut the wrong lawn... I always check the address 5 or 6 times... Sometimes if a t a new place or a realtor job I'll stop in the middle and check it again... Just to make sure it didn't change on me I guess. I have had realtor jobs that I've done after the place has sold, but that's their problem not mine... We set up a date and I cut on that date. They've always paid when it happens so no biggie.

The only other "odd" thing I do (and will do again Tues) is on one of the apartments I do... There is a second small apartment building behind it with a different address, and shares the driveway with the one I do. The guy that owns the one's I do never mentioned it even when we went to the property with him, but I mow it anyway just in case it turns out to be part of the prop. It's only a 10' X 20' strip to mow along with a small drive on the back side to blow off so no big deal, and I figure it's better to be safe than get canned for missing it. I'm waiting for someone to thank me for doing their property for free for the past year. LOL Of course the instant that occurs is the last time it will be done.

On a related note... I've gotten the daily paper for free for the past 5 years... Called the paper several times to tell them we are getting the paper when we aren't supposed to, but they just assure me that they "aren't" delivering it... Well... There's one in my driveway every day... It's actually kind of irritating because I only read the weekend papers so the rest of them pile up in the driveway, and then wind up in the recyc bin when I get around to gathering them up (tossed 3 today).

StBalor
03-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Did the realtor pay you for both house?If he dident he should have..it was his mistake not yours.I would
ask him to pay you for both.
Yes he did.

Toolman 1
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
I had a competitor on a commercial account mow almost 2 acres for me for 2 seasons. He just didnít know where the property line was. The only reason he didnít continue was they got a new company to do the property. Boy was I sad to see him go.

befnme
03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
dang this brings back memories.... i had a lady that i cut regularly and she asked if i would do her sisters house just down the street and she would pay for it ? yes ma'am i wil. well i start to mowing and do this like 6 times .every time i mow people are home and everytime i collect the payment i get no complaints . so the last time i went there to cut i noticed a different lady there and she tells me that the other lady left in the middle of the night so she moved in...dont cut anymore .ok ma'am i wont. well i get back to the sister that pays and say dont worry about paying me anymore because your sister dosent live there anymore...she says to me " she never lived there anyway ";) huh? she said my sister hasn't moved in yet .;) i said well i saw her every time i cut and she said just exactly wich house did you cut ? i said the first one on the corner .she said no.. not that one the one on the other corner where noone lives .:hammerhead: omg i felt so stupid .no wonder anyone never complained . the house i was cutting was gettin over on me .and the house i was supposed to cut was empty so no one there to complain..i gave the paying sister 6 free cuts to make up for the 6 cuts she paid me for but never really got.:laugh:

topsites
03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I cut a large vacant lot for the city ( code enforcement). It was a real jungle full of trash, junk, and 6 foot weeds.I goofed and inverted the last two numbers and did the one across the street. Been 20 years and to this day when I get a new adress I doublecheck over and over.Doing double work was a painful lesson not easily forgotten.

That's the way I feel, I can honestly say in 4+ years this one hasn't happened to me yet... One time I did go to the wrong house to give an estimate, but the fact that the owner (or someone) appeared to be home yet nobody would answer the door clued me in to double-check stuff. Sure enough, and it was embarrassing. What I've also done is drove off in the wrong direction, this tears 30-45 minutes out of your carefully planned schedule, too.

Last night after work I evidently left the ignition to the truck switched on - Key was turned this morning, and absolutely no battery power, not even a click. A jumpstart fixed it but I hate doing this because drain that 1000cc battery one too many times and it can kill a cell and it's almost a 100 dollar battery.

ofishil
03-10-2006, 12:10 AM
I have a good one...

I had a friends son helping me last summer. Hes deaf. I have 5 houses on one street and 1 on the next block that i can cut across a park to get to on my mower. So i tell him more the two corner houses backyards with the 21" then head over to that house with the bushes next to the sidewalk. He says those over there. Yep thats them. So I mow the two corner houses front yards. Ride down the street past the house i tell him to mow after hes done with the backyards. I mow one more on the street then cut across the park to the house on the next block. Finish. Going back to the truck and look at the house that he was supposed to mow. Said damn he missed that whole side. A sidewalk separates the two sides of the yard. Put up my mower. Dont see him. Grab a trimmer and start trimming the two corner ones. Blow. Done still dont see him. But a trimmer is gone. Head to the one past the one i told him and still no dice. Finish over there. And hes at the truck. Said you missed that whole side he said no i didnt i mowed and edged and trimmed the whole thing. Drive over there and said look. He said Ohhh you meant this house. Yes the only house on the block with the bushes next to the sidewalk....... :hammerhead: He mowed the neighbors. He said there was an old lady staring at me watching me work. (remember this kid is deaf). I could only imagine her yelling at him "who are you and get off my grass". And him not hearing her. It gets better now. So i go to knock on the wrong houses door to apoligize and explain. Well the door is wide open. So i ring the bell. No ansrew. ring the bell no answer. So that goes on for like 10 minutes. I figure give the old lady some time to get to teh door. Now my mind is racing and I am thinking the lady had a heartattack with him (ignoring) her. Ring the bell some more and nothing. Say hello into the house and nothing. 10 more minutes. So now i am freaking out. Knock on my customers door to see if they know her. no ansrew. Knock on the other neighbors door. A teenager comes out I ask for his parents their not home. I said do you know the neighbor next door. Yes. I explained the situation and he says theres no old lady there. Its a young couple with some young kids. Knock and yell a few more times. Nothing. So we mow the right house. After he almost started on the wrong house on the opposite side. But i caught him. He got confused or something with the sidewalk splitting the yard in half. Knock and nothing. Door still wide open. So then the deaf kid tells me oh yeah a brown van stopped and picked her up. :cry: Leave adn finish the house on the next street. Go back and nothing. Talk to another neighbor and they say no old lady lives there. So i leave a note and leave. Come back couple days later and knock and the young neighbors come out. I explain the situation and they say no old lady was supposed to be here but we couldnt figure out how the door got unlocked and open. They were cool with everything and to this day nobody knows how to explain the old lady and the open door. I never brought him again.

Idahopondman
03-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Gave a bid to trim a willow. Lady called back totell me go ahead. Went out to trim the tree. When I finished the guy came out to askme what I was doing. found out I was at he wrong house on the wrong street. the funny thing was the two houses were exactly alike just one street over fron each other. Landscape was the same, same size tree, same shrubs everything. It was in a subdivision that had about 3 home designs. First one I did for free. The right one I charged.