PDA

View Full Version : I need your help guys

Victor
03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm about to order a 200 gallon skid sprayer from Gregson-Clark (because I love everything about their sprayers) and have a question about spray hose. The Hannay reel my sprayer is going to come with, can hold up to 400' of 1/2" hose, or 550' of 3/8". From reading all the bad press 1/2" hose has gotten on here, and my personal experience with 3/8". I'm going to have 3/8" hose installed on it. I'm not sure though if I should have a full 550' of 3/8" installed on it, or not. I guess there might be times when having more than 400' of hose would be handy, but I don't think there would be many. I mainly target smaller (7k sq. ft., or less) residential properties. You guys that have been draggin' hose would have a much better insight on this, than I would. I guess the question I'm asking is this... Are there any drawbacks to having too much hose on your truck? Such as insufficient flow at the gun, problems respooling the hose, or anything else? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me guys.
As a side note. I'm not going to do any tree spraying with it. It's strickly for use on lawns.

Vic

Xterminator
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I put 450 Ft of 3/8 on mine last week its alot better than the 1/2 inch i had the pressure holds better if you pull as you spray

HoseJockey
03-11-2006, 02:33 AM
I have about 500 feet of 3/8 on my rig. No problems with pressure at a 2 gal. rate.IMO the more hose the better.If you have pin hole or a leak, you can cut it, attach the gun at the end, and keep on rolling still having plenty of hose to reach the back yard. Then splice it later when you have more time. Also the more hose will help if you have 2 and 3 house next to each other. you can treat everything with out moving the truck.

kyles974
03-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Back when I used to kill myself pulling hose around all day and spraying many LARGE apartment complex areas, (one that sat on over 72 acres) I would use a 300 ft hose. I would not have but a couple of spots that was a challenge for me. I wnet to a ZTR sprayer/sprader which is in the foe sale forums, and production over tripled! ......AND NO problems with any areas! NO more leg burning for 2 weeks in spring! No more burned out employees!!!:headphones:

turfsurfer
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Victor, the main problem would be adjusting the pump pressure to account for the increased friction loss due to longer length and smaller diameter hose.

turfsurfer
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Vic, Let me know how that spray rig works for you this Spring. I'll stop if I see you out.

Victor
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
I really do appreciate it. I talked to Rhett from Gregson-Clarke about it and he recommended I go with 400' to start with and just splice in extra length if I need it later on. As always Rob. Thanks for the help Buddy. I'll definitely keep you posted on how it works out. Hopefully we will run into each other. :)

Vic

TSM
03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
personally i'd go with the longer lenth hose, spicing is just a spill waiting to happen

vegomatic40
03-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Amen on the splicing. Avoid it if you can. Hoses like the Green-garde are braided PVC and while very durable and easy to repair the weight and tendency to "grab" objects in the lawn can get problematic over a long day. Look at the Kuri-Tec series K4350 braided polyethylene hose in 3/8". Comes in 300' or 500' lengths. Very lightweight and the surface is slick so less resistance when pulling on those acre plus lawns. It's also light enough that you can oftentimes "flip" several feet of it over obstacles like small shrubs, stumps,rocks etc. that many hoses hang up on. Doesn't sound like much but, walking extra steps back to dislodge a hose from a gutter starts adding up when you get as long-in-the-tooth as I'm getting. Make sure you "train" your hose to go back on the reel when reeling it back up. Guide the hose carefully when reeling so that it stacks in even, left to right to left and so on. Hose tends to have a memory and a sloppy job makes it more likely to get kinks that can interfere with spraying. Most reels are made to accomodate 300' of 1/2" hose. If you get careless winding up 500' of 3/8" you may have one hell of mess on your hands. Use a "hose hook" if you can get one or, find a example and hammer one out of some scrap tube-steel. Take s about 15-20 mins if you are handy in the shop. This will save on burning holes through gloves when reeling back up and keep the inevitable "dog bombs" from winding up on your hands. Hope this helps.