PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki 27 Or 29efi Scag

Piscitelli Landscape
03-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I Am Picking Out My New Turf Tiger This Week And I Have The Option Of The Carb 27 Hp Or The 29 Efi. Now I Know That Everyone Is Quick To Say Take The 29 But Is It Really The Better Choice For 800.00 Dollars More. Let Me Know What You Think.

LLandscaping
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
We use Scag ZTR and just sold a Tiger Cub. We are going to replace it with a Turf Tiger 52/27 Kohler. We have a 61"/27 Kohler now as a demo and it is just too big for our needs. The 29DFI is more complicated than the 27 but will use less fuel. I have not had the 61 in thick growth but I don't think it will be lacking power. I just notice your comparing Kawasaki's, is the DFI liquid cooled? All we have right now is Kawasaki and Honda power equipment, but my dealer (known him for long time) said the Kohler was better in the 27. The Kawasaki's I have only go up to 19 so I dont know. If you want a Kawasaki, I would get the DFI.

lawnmaniac883
03-08-2006, 10:36 PM
If it were me, I would pay the xtra 800 and get efi. I'd rather give my money to companies for trying to make more efficient equipment than give it to the oil companies. JMO

TURF DOCTOR
03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
The efi starts so easy thats a tough 1,local scag dealer here might save you some money.

twj721
03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Kaw 29DFI only way to go as it is easy on fuel and power to spare

jtkplc
03-08-2006, 10:54 PM
We use Scag ZTR and just sold a Tiger Cub. We are going to replace it with a Turf Tiger 52/27 Kohler. We have a 61"/27 Kohler now as a demo and it is just too big for our needs. The 29DFI is more complicated than the 27 but will use less fuel. I have not had the 61 in thick growth but I don't think it will be lacking power. I just notice your comparing Kawasaki's, is the DFI liquid cooled? All we have right now is Kawasaki and Honda power equipment, but my dealer (known him for long time) said the Kohler was better in the 27. The Kawasaki's I have only go up to 19 so I dont know. If you want a Kawasaki, I would get the DFI.

The DFI is liquid cooled.

LLandscaping
03-08-2006, 11:01 PM
jtkplc,
Thanks for answering my question. I would get the DFI, what price did you get quoted for the 27 and 29DFI? Our dealer want $8700 for the Turf Tiger with a 27 Kohler and 52in deck. (61 is like $200 more)

green acres lawns
03-08-2006, 11:07 PM
If the 61" tiger is too big, why don't you try the 52" wildcat. Its not much bigger than the cub. I have the 52" tiger cub with the 24 hp honda and it works great in small areas.

jtkplc
03-08-2006, 11:10 PM
jtkplc,
Thanks for answering my question. I would get the DFI, what price did you get quoted for the 27 and 29DFI? Our dealer want $8700 for the Turf Tiger with a 27 Kohler and 52in deck. (61 is like $200 more)

No problem...I would go with the DFI also, for the added power over the 27HP and the fuel savings.

ProStreetCamaro
03-08-2006, 11:15 PM
I honestly dont think its worth it. There are a few reasons why.

1. First and most importantly is the fact that the EFI system is computer controlled and requires somebody that is specially trained to work on it. Make sure your dealer has somebody thats been trained properly before you get the EFI unit.

2. It may be more efficient but it would take years to make up for that extra $800 you spent.

3. Both mowers will perform the same and in case of a problem you can bet on the fact that the carberated unit will take less time to repair.

4. Once the warranty is up the cost to repair the EFI system will be through the roof compared to a simple easy to work on carb.

This is just the way I look at it. A penny saved is a penny earned and the carbed unit will produce just as well as that EFI unit that is more prone to breaking down.

LLandscaping
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Green Acres Lawns,
The I had two Tiger Cub both with 48/19 but sold one. I like the wider wheel base, larger pumps, and lower center of gravity the Turf Tiger has. I demoed the 52 cub with a 24 Honda before I bought my last cub. I really liked the 52 but at the time the 52 was $1400 more than because the 48 was a promo model. I like the cubs but I also mount my little wonder blower on the front of one of the mowers and the cubs struggles moving it. I appreciate the feedback, thanks have a great upcoming season.

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Greetings from Grand Lake Oklahoma! We purchased a 61" Turf Tiger w/ the 29 Kaw EFI, and the clamshell bagger. I think we purchased it for around 10,500.00. Different market dictates different price I guess. Great mower, the only downfall I believe is the deck. Hell for stout, but it just doesn't articulate or float. It is suspended by chains and hammers violently if you hit a bum at a fair rate of speed. Also it seems to be very back heavy w/ the geometrics of the bagger and engine being mostly behind the rear wheels. I have a 61' Encore prowler that has been in my fleet from day 1, and I believe that it delivers a higher quality of cut than the Scag. The Encore articulates and floats freely. The kawasaki powerplant is on both just a little smaller on the Encore. I believe that they offer the EFI now. The scag seems like it would withstand a tornado with out damage! Gotta give it credit! ALl in all a great machine that we use daily. Definitely EFI! I appreciate your time.....

LB1234
03-08-2006, 11:26 PM
We have the 27 horse with DFI...and yes, its liquid cooled. Absolutely love that mower. We placed the soft bagger on it and it does well with the bagger on as well.

TURF DOCTOR
03-08-2006, 11:33 PM
is it the 29 dfi..

Piscitelli Landscape
03-09-2006, 10:41 AM
jtkplc,

i got qouted 9250.00 for th 61 inch 29 dfi

chimmygew
03-09-2006, 12:08 PM
That is one helluva price. I'd jump on it. I have both the 29hp efi and the 27 hp. Both are good, but I'd like to have another 29hp. The fuel we save is amazing between the 2.

TLS
03-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Carb 27hp I'll assume is the A/C Kohler?

I originally though you were comparing the 27 L/C Kawi to the 29 L/C DFI Kawi. <---To that, I say DFI all the way. Between these two cousins, the DFI is clearly the winner....hands down.

But if your comparing the 27hp Kohler to the 29DFI....

There are a couple of things you have to consider with ZTR powerplants.

One biggie is weight. A L/C powerplant is heavier.

One of the main reasons I bought my L/C Kawi was POWER. At that time, there were no higher powered engines.

I just visited the SCAG website. Shame they don't offer the Kohler 28 EFI.

I would bypass the 27Kohler, 27 L/C Kawi and the 29 DFI Kawi and go for one of the Vanguards (31 or 35).

What machine are you coming from?
How many hours/year do you put on a ZTR?

These answers will dictate what you should do.

Richard Martin
03-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I honestly dont think its worth it. There are a few reasons why.

1. First and most importantly is the fact that the EFI system is computer controlled and requires somebody that is specially trained to work on it. Make sure your dealer has somebody thats been trained properly before you get the EFI unit.

2. It may be more efficient but it would take years to make up for that extra $800 you spent.

3. Both mowers will perform the same and in case of a problem you can bet on the fact that the carberated unit will take less time to repair.

4. Once the warranty is up the cost to repair the EFI system will be through the roof compared to a simple easy to work on carb.

This is just the way I look at it. A penny saved is a penny earned and the carbed unit will produce just as well as that EFI unit that is more prone to breaking down.

I've had a Kohler EFI for a while now and I have had zero problems with it. You start it up (with no choke) and use it. They also get slightly more power with the EFI and 2 more ft pnds of torque vs. the carb'd 27. It also doesn't take a genius to work on these things. If you do have a problem you just flip the key on, off, on, off, on and it goes into a self diagnostic mode and reports the fault codes, if any, via a light located next to the key. The systems on Kohlers are made by Bosch and Bosch has been making EFI for the automotive industry for 20+ years now so I think they have it pretty much figured out. It uses the same components as cars do like the TPS, HEGO and IAC. The only thing you should ever have to mess with would be the HEGO sensor and it's no worse than a car. You unplug it, screw it out, screw the new one in and plug it back in.

John Gamba
03-10-2006, 08:01 AM
I've had a Kohler EFI for a while now and I have had zero problems with it. You start it up (with no choke) and use it. They also get slightly more power with the EFI and 2 more ft pnds of torque vs. the carb'd 27. It also doesn't take a genius to work on these things. If you do have a problem you just flip the key on, off, on, off, on and it goes into a self diagnostic mode and reports the fault codes, if any, via a light located next to the key. The systems on Kohlers are made by Bosch and Bosch has been making EFI for the automotive industry for 20+ years now so I think they have it pretty much figured out. It uses the same components as cars do like the TPS, HEGO and IAC. The only thing you should ever have to mess with would be the HEGO sensor and it's no worse than a car. You unplug it, screw it out, screw the new one in and plug it back in.

Mr Martin

Dont forget the gas mileage on the EFI:clapping: