PDA

View Full Version : Scrap metal

DanaMac
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Well I turned in my scrap copper and brass today. $394!!! :cool2:

Part of the money is going to my employee as a bonus. I told him last fall I'd split it with him. It's 2 years worth of junk and a pain in the *** to deal with. We took sometime to gut everything, removing the plastic, steel, etc from the bras to make it worth more. I think I will tell him if he wants to keep it all and turn it in this year, it's all his.

Dirty Water
03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
The funny thing is the only scrap we have from last year is one cracked PVB.

No copper here, and almost no PVB's.

PurpHaze
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
removing the plastic, steel, etc from the bras

Actually, I prefer something along the lines of soft and warm inside a bra. :laugh:

BSME
03-08-2006, 10:33 PM
dana...
how big was your pile? Was it worth it?

I started saving all the cracked PVBs and copper to turn in but it got to be too big of a hassle... I didn't think it was worth it.

DanaMac
03-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I had three HEAVY 5 gallon buckets of brass. Ball valves, PVB and RP bodies, old heads, a few valves. Weighed over 200 lbs. for three buckets. I think it was about $1.00 a lb. for that.

One 5 gallon bucket overflowing with copper. A lot of pieces sticking up out of the bucket. I think that was $1.20 a lb.

And another bucket with crap brass and copper. This was stuff that I didn't feel like taking apart. To get the best $$ you have to take the ball valves apart and take out the steel ball inside as well as the nylon/vinyl/whatever material seat also inside. Remove the handles as well. Take out all the internals in a BF - check valves, springs, etc. Solenoids, springs, diaphragms from the valves.

Honestly, not really worth it to me. I took a bunch of time, probably 4-5 hours to tear things apart. This is why I'm going to tell me employee if he wants to deal with it from now on, it's all his. He can keep it all at his place and tear it apart.

SprinklerGuy
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
4-5 hours almost 400 bucks.....you made more than you would doing repairs ;)

Give it all to me...I'll do it..

DanaMac
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I didn't mention it was also 4-5 hours of Tom helping me while he was on the clock. And like I mentiond, I told him I'd split it with him. I'm giving him $150. Plus there was the aggravation of moving it around in my garage. And my hands hurt like hell from trying to take apart all these old, corroded pieces. I'll let him do it from now on, and it's part of his bonus.

iluvscag
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Damn, you guys do pretty good brass is only 1.10 down here.

irrig8r
02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
What's the going rate at recyclers where you are?

I called three places today and they'll pay 1.50 to 1.65/ lb. for clean brass (screws, diaphragms, springs and all removed) and .90 to 1.00/lb. for unsorted.

Should I keep looking around for a better price?

mikeny
02-08-2008, 02:21 PM
cleaned up this week copper with soder $2.20 # clean copper $2.35#, brass just had a couple valves $1 #

mikeny
02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
cleaned up this week copper with solder $2.20 # clean copper $2.35#, brass just had a couple valves $2.25 # got $320 for and old snow plow a couple months ago I think they made a mistake on that but I took the cash and walked out.

Mike Leary
02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
That's cool idea, especially now with the prices. We used to able to just drop off
dcva's, rp's, etc., without stripping them. When the new rules happened, that was
the best backflow experience my guys had..getting paid to strip them, learning big,
& making some serious money by going to scrap yard. Why do you think we use brass
nozzles?:drinkup:

Wet_Boots
02-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I wonder if it's worth the effort to separate red brass from yellow brass.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I wonder if it's worth the effort to separate red brass from yellow brass.

No....only copper from brass and shiny copper from dull. Henry gets all cu/brass here and gets about 400/yr. They are cracking down because of all the theft and DLs are required.

hoskm01
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
No....only copper from brass and shiny copper from dull. Henry gets all cu/brass here and gets about 400/yr. They are cracking down because of all the theft and DLs are required.
Crackdown here too. Though if youre not stealing it, the rewards are still great and should be without worry.

Mike Leary
02-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Crackdown here too. Though if youre not stealing it, the rewards are still great and should be without worry.

Brass shrubblers?

AI Inc
02-09-2008, 08:42 AM
We save all cracked pvb,s and the copper with them . Usualy get about $275 from spring start up season . I take the $ and we charter a boat for some deep sea fishing when we slow down in Augest.

DanaMac
02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I think my tech got between $500-$600 this year from scrap. one of our customers is head guy at one scrap company. So he knows it is all frozen/cracked stuff. No complications of it being stolen.

irrig8r
02-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Spent about 2-1/2 hrs. last night stripping out balls and seats from cracked ball valves, pulling off shreads of teflon tape, tossing worn springs and washers, salvaging various intact washers, SS screws, etc.

Called around again this AM and they said maybe 1.90 to 2.25 per lb.... I'll hold out for the most I can get... but last time I did this, a few years ago, they were only paying 0.65/ lb... of course that was more or less unsorted...but still 3 x what I got 4 years or so ago...

Mdirrigation
02-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Dont forget about steel . this past 2 weeks i have been cleaning the yard , and the neighbors . 5 Junk cars total of 1800.00 I dumpster of straight steel 900.00 . The scrap yard is paying between 7.50 and 9.00 per hundred pounds

Scgentlman1
02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
#1 Copper clean $2.85 lb Yellow Brass $1.85lb Stainless steel 1.10 Lb South Carolina There is really a big difference in price with our local dealers

irrig8r
02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
#1 Copper clean $2.85 lb Yellow Brass $1.85lb Stainless steel 1.10 Lb South Carolina There is really a big difference in price with our local dealers

i think it's kind of a racket... and a way that a lot of folks make their living it seems..

Lots of folks waiting in a long line of cars to cash in aluminum cans.. but I was directed to a warehouse where they had me unload my brass for weighing.. only about 110 lbs..

Anyway, they scan my DL and have me sign a form. I'm figuring the price is a minimum of $1.75 for yellow brass and on up from that because I was quoted that over the phone last week. I get to the office where they have a form printed and cash.. and I see they only want to give me $1.27/ lb.

So I went back to see the weighmaster and he calls it all "red brass" which bumps it to 1.40. I said "hey the guy on the phone told me 1.75 minimum".. he says "who did you talk to?" .. and I had no idea... so... I took what they gave me... ;)

Next time I won't bother with disassembling any of it...

Funny thing too, they had an armed security guard... probably because they dispense so much cash...