PDA

View Full Version : north east people ready to work yet??????

milo
03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
i am sitting here hoping to be out doing cleanups really soon. i cannot wait. i dont think since owning my business i was so ready to start working. i am so happy the weather is starting to get batter and hope the phone starts to ring for cleanups. anyone else have this feeling????? :dancing: :rolleyes: :) :headphones: :laugh:

1MajorTom
03-09-2006, 12:29 AM
No can't say we have that feeling here. Time is moving too fast, and the season is just about to start. Calls are already coming in, 4 estimates in the last 2 days, and a few existing customers already calling asking for some extra work.
There was a time when I wished my life away. "i can't wait till i'm 16 so I can drive." "i can't wait until i'm 21 so I can legally drink." "i can't wait till we buy our first house." "i can't wait till my little one is out of diapers."
Now I know better, time moves too fast as it is. :cry:
This is our 8th year in business, we're not jumping thru hoops looking for another season to start.

jt5019
03-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Im ready i need to get the cash rolling in again... but the ground is way too soft and muddy right now to do much of anything.

G.M.Landscaping
03-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I can't wait either. Maybe another 2 weeks I hope.

4x4Jim
03-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I am ready. I am hoping by next week or the week after to get back out there. If the weather stays like this I will be happy.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm kinda in between. I am looking forward for this season, but time is flying way to fast. I am ready to get out there and start making money again. However, the work leading up... Doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day.

HighGrass
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Quotes are going out and I start curb clean-up next week or the week after. Pretty dry so far, but I think the rain in the next few weeks so we'll have to wait and see.

Richard Martin
03-09-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm almost ready to cut grass. 2 more cleanups and then 2 large (by my standards) mulch jobs and I'm ready.

Sir mowsalot
03-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I started cleanups already, on Monday. 50's today, and the next 5-6 days are gonna be in the 60's. I was surprised once i started to realize how dry it everything is.

nobagger
03-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Nothing yet, the news just said a chance of snow next Monday and Tuesday. I hate spring clean ups, but its a necessary evil in this business. But so far we have signed over 15 new customers that all want a spring clean up of some type.payup

rodfather
03-09-2006, 07:31 AM
We start full time on the 13th. Everyone will be on board by the 1st of April.

John Gamba
03-09-2006, 08:16 AM
just bought a new turf tracer so i can keep my great figure:weightlifter:

fga
03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
alot of companines have started already.
I start this monday. i would have already. but i was hoping the lettering for my trailer would have been done by now. but either way, Monday, unless its raining.

i feel blessed. from my very first day on my own, 8 years ago, winters were terribly hard, financially. the goal was always, budget accordingly. just get to march....just get to march. this was my easiest winter in about 11 years. the fact that i start monday, is just a feeling like i completed a goal or something, what a relief! you guys who have it hard in the winter know what i'm talking about...

DixieFerris
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Up here in the Albany area and a little north where we work, we are probably like 2 weeks away from getting on properties. lots of rain over the weekend they are saying, then back to a cold swoop for a couple days next week. But if temps stay moderate, I think we begin cleanups on March 24-27...mowing by April 15 or so.

mrusk
03-09-2006, 02:59 PM
WOO can't wait for spring. Gave a 10,500 estimate for paver pation yesterday, have 2 estimates sunday, 1 for a 200 sf paver job, another for a patio and pergalo. Then i have a meeting with a new home owner on thrusday for new lawn, walkways, boulder retaining wall. The guy said his budget is 10-15k. I drove by the house and it looks like atleast 15k worth of work, maybe more.

Oh boy! I bet i gross more $ in the 2nd quater then i did all last year!

John Gamba
03-09-2006, 03:01 PM
WOO can't wait for spring. Gave a 10,500 estimate for paver pation yesterday, have 2 estimates sunday, 1 for a 200 sf paver job, another for a patio and pergalo. Then i have a meeting with a new home owner on thrusday for new lawn, walkways, boulder retaining wall. The guy said his budget is 10-15k. I drove by the house and it looks like atleast 15k worth of work, maybe more.

Oh boy! I bet i gross more $ in the 2nd quater then i did all last year!

I hope it works out for yeah:clapping:

THKitty1
03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Hubby breaking out in hives. "I hope we get enough accounts, what if we don't get any new clients, etc..."
4th year in business and hoping to double this year

John Gamba
03-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Hubby breaking out in hives. "I hope we get enough accounts, what if we don't get any new clients, etc..."

Keep working at it:weightlifter: You can do it:waving:

RICHIE K
03-09-2006, 05:22 PM
We started monday doing clean ups and started mulching some of our comm. propertys

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :gmctruck:

nitrotim
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm Jammin this week, cleanups, estimates. SHould be Fertiliziing stating monday hopefully. I got a new Z - Spray coming saturday and a renovator next week.

Rene
03-09-2006, 08:42 PM
hell, still to much snow up here.
we usally start around yearly to mid April.

mrusk
03-09-2006, 08:58 PM
UPDATE: Just looked at a 3200 sq paver job tonight!! Wooo.

Sir mowsalot
03-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I go thru the same thing too every spring.

mulcahy mowing
03-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I go thru the same thing too every spring.
me three. i'm just about done if i dont get 8 more lawns asap at least 8

milo
03-10-2006, 12:36 AM
well i am ready. i say that now but after one week i will be pissed like always lol. i think it is because i did not work this off season. i know i cannot wait. :dancing: :waving: :laugh: :headphones: :dancing: :)

impactlandscaping
03-10-2006, 01:10 AM
We are going to be full tilt next Monday. Cleanups,edging, more edging, about 230 yards of mulch jobs, pondless waterfall installation, paver walkway,and about 1.5 acres of hydroseeding sold...just about time for pre em rounding as well. I am one man short, and I won't know my name in about 3 weeks, but life is good:drinkup:

illday
03-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Ground is still too wet and soft up here. Figure I am a week - 10 days away from starting. Hell, I'm already behind.

jt5019
03-10-2006, 11:08 AM
More rain coming too ... i cant even step in my lawn without sinking nevermind putting some equipment on it.

JS Landscaping
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Still too soft and muddy up here. We still have patches of snow in the shady spots from the last snowstorm on 3-2-06. We techically never stop in the winter, due to tree work and these lot clearing jobs we have started doing more frequently. Great way to ballence out a poor snow season for plowing. But we are planning on starting with pre-m applications the first week in april, as well as clean ups. Renewals just went out yesterday. We have a small garden wall to do, roughly 200 ft long next week. Advertizing goes into full swing next week. Saw my yellow pages ad but not exactly happy with it at all. Is there anything i can do? such as request a discount since it is not what I expected? The proof the salesman showed me, is not what the ad came out to be. Well its gettin close for things to go into full swing! Definatly hoping to pick up quite a few more lawns this year. :drinkup:

James
JS LANDSCAPING :usflag:

EDEN77
03-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Started on Tuesday with a cleanup. The last 2 days were spent spreading bark. Wind is gusting to near 50 MPH today. Tough to work in that. But, the ground in SW PA is just calling for landscapers to get to it. It's time to get back to work right now.

proenterprises
03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
More rain coming too ... i cant even step in my lawn without sinking nevermind putting some equipment on it.

Same here, it is warm and sunny but still some snow left. Hopefully the snow is done for the year. It looks to be warming for the forseeable future. I imagine it will still be 2 more weeks before any cleanups begin.

lawnboyri1
03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm hoping to get back next or so. My employer likes to wait to the last minute to get everything ready(i.e fix equioment get workers send out notices to customers. It's been a slow winter here in RI.

John Gamba
03-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Same here, it is warm and sunny but still some snow left. Hopefully the snow is done for the year. It looks to be warming for the forseeable future. I imagine it will still be 2 more weeks before any cleanups begin.

Lots of mud here Pro :waving:

zim bob the landscaper
03-10-2006, 05:31 PM
idk when but i hope to get 20 spring cleanups and then 40 lawns to mow this season. just give me 20!!!!!!!!!

Kate Butler
03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Yesterday we had snow on the ground, this morning there was freezing rain and this afternoon we have rain & mud. Expecting more snow after this weekend. Ah, the joys of Spring in the North Country. We're at least a solid month away from any real, regular outdoor work.

fga
03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
hit 74 degrees in New York City today!! Monday is a go..

Ol'time Lawncare
03-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm Jammin this week, cleanups, estimates. SHould be Fertiliziing stating monday hopefully. I got a new Z - Spray coming saturday and a renovator next week.
I'm starting clean-ups Monday too. The weather man said tonight buy Friday a wintry mix will be here !

CC Lawncare
03-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Already started cleanups and treework has been going on for a while. :clapping: I am so ready to mow though that I have done my lawn twice. It didn't need it even the first time but hey ............I LOVE MY JOB!!!:laugh: :hammerhead: :waving:

jt5019
03-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Local news is talking about possible snow for thursday for Connecticut...Gotta love New England :usflag:

YGWBill
03-11-2006, 08:32 PM
the snow just melted so will start ih 2 weeks or so

Viseras lawn service
03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
strong cold front moving thru tuesnight - wed. then lows in the 30s till sunday with possible snow thur night/friday.....

no thx. cleanups a week from monday please.

zim bob the landscaper
03-11-2006, 10:49 PM
i heard cold then snow friday this pisses me off.

Sir mowsalot
03-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Did cleanups this past week, except yesterday to windy, so i did a small mulching job. Today was in the upper 60's, and tomorrow 70 , and monday 73. I might start pre-emergent next friday. Sure would be nice if this weather continues, we will be mowing soon if it does.

wrtenterprises
03-11-2006, 11:43 PM
You have got to be kidding. Pre-M on the 17th of March in Central Pa. A few clean-up's I can see, but an early 3-4 day warm spell is no reason apply combo products to already dormant turf. Unless we have every day in the 60's and nights in the 50's until the 17th it's a waste of product, period.

For example, I am currently working on a large retaining wall project at my home. Tuesday morning by friend arrives with his JD tractor/hoe, 45hp and we could not finish the excavation due to frost 8" thick. It's a slurry mess for everyone within 40 miles of me, and I am in almost the exact center of the state.

I'm all for making a buck, but like I said before, you have got to be kidding.....

Idealtim
03-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Its that time of year agaian where everything looks its worst[mud, trash, curbs, everythings brown].And i cant wait!!! I need some money after the terrible winter ct had. Grass is to damp still.

rodfather
03-12-2006, 01:24 AM
You have got to be kidding. Pre-M on the 17th of March in Central Pa. A few clean-up's I can see, but an early 3-4 day warm spell is no reason apply combo products to already dormant turf. Unless we have every day in the 60's and nights in the 50's until the 17th it's a waste of product, period. I'm all for making a buck, but like I said before, you have got to be kidding.....

I gotta second that

mrusk
03-12-2006, 01:48 AM
ahhh suppose to go back to normal temps mid week. I was going to do a small job this week. 100sq of pavers 10 sq of wall but i might wait another week now. I proably wouldn't be able to dig!

Sir mowsalot
03-12-2006, 07:35 AM
You have got to be kidding. Pre-M on the 17th of March in Central Pa. A few clean-up's I can see, but an early 3-4 day warm spell is no reason apply combo products to already dormant turf. Unless we have every day in the 60's and nights in the 50's until the 17th it's a waste of product, period.

For example, I am currently working on a large retaining wall project at my home. Tuesday morning by friend arrives with his JD tractor/hoe, 45hp and we could not finish the excavation due to frost 8" thick. It's a slurry mess for everyone within 40 miles of me, and I am in almost the exact center of the state.

I'm all for making a buck, but like I said before, you have got to be kidding.....
I agree, and that is why i said i MIGHT, not i AM. If the weather we are having continues into late next week.

ripple
03-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I am gettin ready...I have already done 3 mulch jobs...60 yds spread...Doing lotsa bidding for landscape jobs but not alot for mowing.
I still need a walk behind mower, aerator and dethacher.