PDA

View Full Version : which mulch lasts the longest??

jonspolaris
04-24-2001, 03:24 PM
Which kind of mulch do u guys find lasts the longest??

i have tried cypress but it doesent seem to last long, any ideas??

Scraper
04-24-2001, 04:35 PM
Why do you want it to last so long? I use the triple ground hardwood on my accounts so that it decomposes pretty much entirely by the next season. That way you have no buildup over the years.

greens1
04-24-2001, 09:45 PM
You want mulch to decompose. It provides an excellent neutriant base for plant material.
Jim L

lawnboy82
04-25-2001, 01:33 AM
i really wouldnt know what lasts the longest, however i know you dont want to use sweet peat for mulch. it only lasts for a little while and decomposes really fast. i had used it at my house last year and my folks hated it. particles were too small and they ran off when we got a good rain.

joshua
04-25-2001, 10:55 AM
dyed black double shredd mulch works the best for me,. and last for about 2 years depending on how much sun it gets. every contractor uses it in my neck, we don't even think of buying that brown stuff.

Scraper
04-25-2001, 11:12 AM
Hey Joshua...Did you realize that for the most part that "black crap" is dyed wood scraps for the most part? Around here if you explain to the people what is in it...they don't want it anywhere near their property. I talk all my customers out of it. The brown is so much more natural looking than the asphalt black mulch. Also if it lasts two years...you're losing $$$ by not mulching every year!

Chip
04-25-2001, 08:34 PM
I prefer double ground mulch. I will use triple ground when it is not available.
I did one job this spring with the dyed black stuff and didn't like it for several reasons. First it doesn't have any nutritional value and was told to fertilize all plants and flowers because it actually steals nitrogen from the soil. Second it turns your hands and tools black. Third blows and washes away easily in a good storm. Fourth my customer said she stained a pair of pants when she was working in her flower beds. I applied this mulch at her sons request since he was paying the bill. I don't think I would work with dyed mulch again, unless the price was really inflated.

mdb landscaping
04-25-2001, 08:55 PM
i prefer spruce mulch. its priced in between cedar and pine bark. the pine barks color doesnt last long, and the cedar isnt worth the few extra bucks a yard. i recommend putting down spruce to my customers because the color lasts a little longer and smells nice.

smithsonmi
04-26-2001, 10:56 AM
From what I understand, all decomposing mulch will take nitrogen out of the soil. Wood is wood be it hardwood or recycled pallets.

Many people like the black because the color stays more consistent and doesn't turn silvery/grey.

Not every CONSUMER wants to mulch every spring.