PDA

View Full Version : Customer want's differnet grub control.

PaulJ
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I got this little note with a renewal form and prepayment check.

"Paul-
I would like you to use "Bayer Grub-Ex" for the grub control. One application is supposed to last all summer. It's available at Bomgard's in Columbus 24.95 for bag that covers 5000 Square feet
xxx"

This customer hasn't wanted grub control until late last summer when he thought he was seeing some problems. I think the prob was more from lack of watter but he asked for a treatment then even though I told him it wouldn't be very effective that late in the season.
I have no problem with doing grub control this season at the right time but I usually use Mach II with fert from Lesco and have good results. plus a 14000 sq ft bag is about the same price as his 5000 sqft bag.

do I just tell him that I use what I want, or do I try to explain to him why I use what I do and hope he accepts that, (he might, he's pretty reasonable most of the time) or do I just go buy the homeowner stuff he wants and say nothing.
One other thing is that this costumer lives out of town and this is just a cabin on a small lake.

turf hokie
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Sounds like it is imidacloprid (merit) in a homeowner bag. Check the Active ingredient and then you can go from there with talking to the customer about which product to use.

Luvs2Play
03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I had a customer two years ago that wanted me to use Scott's on their lawn instead of what I always use. I told them it would cost them the price of the product plus the mileage plus the windshield time. She told me that she would get it and then I would charge "less" because she was supplying the chemical. I then told her that I would have to charge her an extra $25.00 for callibration time. She decided not to go that way. I found out she had some left over from several years before I was taking care of her lawn. Still a good customer, and has a great looking lawn.

LawnTamer
03-09-2006, 11:11 AM
I tell customers that I only use professional grade products. I explain that the products I use have better active ingredients and work better. If they want me to apply a product and guarantee the application, then it will be my product choice. If you want to make him feel good let him choose between Mach II and Merit.

PaulJ
03-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I tell customers that I only use professional grade products. I explain that the products I use have better active ingredients and work better. If they want me to apply a product and guarantee the application, then it will be my product choice. If you want to make him feel good let him choose between Mach II and Merit.

That's about what I was going to tell him. I think the calibration time is another good point. I was planning on sticking with machII this year though. one reason is my lesco usually has a better combo product with he mach II than the merit. This year I am substitution a regular fert app. with the grub control for those who want it so having enough fert in there is important.
Thanks for the input guys

Xterminator
03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Work your own program. Dont let the customer Run your business. If you do they will always try. They hired you for your experience & Professionalism. Tell them you have it under control & use Merit (my favorite)

Jason Rose
03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
LOL. Iv'e had a couple call me up to tell me that "the scotts turf builder plus 2 is on sale at K-mart, just thought you needed to buy that now for our lawn..." I'm like uhhhhh, what?

I had to explain that I don't use the scotts powered clump crap and that I use professional grade products. Also that I don't apply "weed and feed" I use a liquid that actually gets onto the leaves of the weeds.

As for the posted question here... I would either just use the Mach II and TELL the guy that it was the what he asked for or like others said, explain that the claims on the retail bag are just claims and that the professional product you use is a far superior chemical.

Grassmechanic
03-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Work your own program. Dont let the customer Run your business. If you do they will always try. They hired you for your experience & Professionalism. Tell them you have it under control & use Merit (my favorite)
Bingo!! I was waiting for someone to say this.

PaulJ
03-10-2006, 10:09 AM
That's what I plan to do. I just wantedto see how others would handle it and what the best /most tackful way to tell the customer this.
thanks again

Flagen23
03-10-2006, 10:10 AM
If thre is a current grub problem going with a 24 hour control product is the only way to go. I always get calls late in the season when the grass goes dormant and people wonder what happened..... When it does not rain for a month.... things tend to go downhill! Mach II from LESCO has never let me down!

somo1
03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Just explain to the customer that the same chemical is probably in both bags, his and yours. And you can apply it at the correct rate without the recalibration time, and yahda, yahda, yahda. The main difference between us and joe blow homeowner. Is that we apply at the correct rate and time, depending on weather conditions. We can change our chemical rates depending on the requirements and conditions of lawns for the best results.