PDA

View Full Version : Everyday lawn care use, what to buy?

Bulldog26
03-09-2006, 10:38 AM
I need to add one/two blowers this spring. What would you suggest to buy for everyday lawn care use. I was concidering the rexmax 8001, Echo 751 or the Big Stihl. Is one of these what you would buy for everyday use? Looking at these units, all are very good machines but man are they heavy. Would it be better to buy one of these just for leave clean up and buy a smaller unit for everyday cleaning up grass clippings. If this is what you would do, what would you buy for everyday? Thanks for the help.
bt

JB1
03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
we have the backpacks for cleanups but for blowing clippings off of drives and walks we just use hand held blowers, quicker to grab it to use a couple of minutes. Currently using stihl handhelds because the dealer was closer and handy at the time.

Bulldog26
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Really, hand helds???? I didn't expect to hear that. what kind of power do they have?

Bulldog26
03-09-2006, 10:05 PM
ok... lets try this.... what are your thoughts on the br 600

LwnmwrMan22
03-09-2006, 10:30 PM
I run the 751 for everyday use.

I do 95% commercial work, so I'm not blowing off 25 driveways / day.

I like the backpack, because you can blow grass off at a distance, you don't have to walk all the way over to where the grass is, save yourself 10' here and there.

I also only run the 751, IMO, it's a waste of money to have a handheld too, when you already have the backpack because of other things.

It'd be like using a 21" push mower on a 3 acre yard, so you don't have clippings blowing all over out the side of the deck.

topsites
03-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Really, hand helds???? I didn't expect to hear that. what kind of power do they have?

My little stihl bg-55 is like Altoids - curiously strong.

At first it's like yeah, whatever... Then after a few minutes, it's like this crazy little thing is not bad, not bad at all.

I bought it mainly to get in the nooks and crannies (behind bushes, underneath porches, around outdoor a/c units). Because of its small size, it really rocks to get up into those tight little spaces.

Far as everyday use, I haven't had a chance to test it but I will say my backpack ALWAYS starts on the first pull and keeps running (full throttle within 5-10 seconds) <- This has not been my experience with the handheld.

grassyfras
03-09-2006, 11:42 PM
If I did it all over again I think I would buy a cheaper back pack. I have 2 Red max 7001's and their great for fall and cleaning up bush clippings and what not, but sometimes I think I would of been better off getting a sweet bagging system for a mower.

Richard Martin
03-10-2006, 03:45 AM
ok... lets try this.... what are your thoughts on the br 600

It's a great blower and I have one for leaf cleanups but for everyday cleanups I use my Stihl BR420. The smaller Stihl is a couple of pounds lighter which makes it a little easier to put on and take off all day long.

mowerman90
03-10-2006, 06:45 AM
I've got the BR600 and mow over 60 lawns per week. I'm in FL so I don't have huge piles of leaves to move in the fall. Of the backpacks I've owned over the last 16 years I find the BR600 to be the most powerful and the most comfortable to use. It's ergonomics are great. It's not too heavy and it doesn't have carbs and air cleaners sticking out to get caught on stuff. It's quiet compared to my old Echo 650 and it always starts on the first pull.

Jpocket
03-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I need to add one/two blowers this spring. What would you suggest to buy for everyday lawn care use. I was concidering the rexmax 8001, Echo 751 or the Big Stihl. Is one of these what you would buy for everyday use? Looking at these units, all are very good machines but man are they heavy. Would it be better to buy one of these just for leave clean up and buy a smaller unit for everyday cleaning up grass clippings. If this is what you would do, what would you buy for everyday? Thanks for the help.
bt

For everyday grass use I would suggest a Redmax 7001 A hefty blower, but still not overkill

PaulJ
03-10-2006, 09:19 AM

Enough power to blow a few clippings off the walks and drives. For larger jobs I will pull out the backpack but for everydayuse I have an echo and an efco handheld blowers.

Bulldog26
03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
The br 600 is 20.3lbs and the redmax 7001 is 21.9lbs. How would you compair the two machines? I got a sticker price of 479.00 on the br 600, how dose that look? What would I pay for a 7001? Thanks
bt