PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Paver Installers

Guido
04-24-2001, 05:31 PM
Anyone ever heard of Dr. Brian Shackel or his book titled: "The design and construction of interlocking concrete block pavements"

Let me know if you did and what you thought of the book (if you've read it or heard about it)

Thanks!

greens1
04-24-2001, 10:01 PM
I have not heard of it or read it. Are you recomending it, or have you read it and find it informative?

Thanks,
Jim L

Stonehenge
04-24-2001, 10:55 PM
I haven't heard of it either. What are the credentials of the author (what's the PhD in)?

Rex Mann
04-24-2001, 10:56 PM
Guido,

I had the pleasure of attending a lecture he gave here in the states. The guy is awesome. He has a PhD in one of the sciences. He has devoted most of his academic research to the study of interlocking concrete pavers. I think he is from Austrailia. When they want to do those 2 million square feet ports with pavers, he is the guy they call to close the deal.

If you are into retaining walls......Bathurst is the guys name. Same as Shackel, but on walls.

I saw both these guys the same day for free. Even sat at Shackel's table for lunch. He did not speak kindly of the ICPI, that's the only thing I disagreed on with him.

Our industry needs people like him.

Rex

Guido
04-25-2001, 04:42 PM
greens 1 - I've never read his book, I might start looking into it though. I got some info from a company called unigroup usa (uni-groupusa.org) on industrial paving with interlocking concrete. It came with a CD to help design specs for jobs?? I think?? I haven't tried it yet, I'll let you guys know what its all about once I do.

Stonehenge - And I quote from info packet "An international athourity on interlocking concrete pavements who has published more than 80 research papers on geomechanics and pavements and a book, "The design and Construction of interlocking concrete block pavements". He has been invited to lecture on pavement design and construction in 23 countries worldwide...........has been an engineering consultant for road, airport, and industrial pavement projects around the world.

Rex- Mann - Thanks for the info. So you think it would be worth looking into the book? I wonder if its only about huge jobs like the ones he caters to??

Has anyone seen the book??

Thanks again guys!