PDA

View Full Version : Ranger and O/D

creeksidelc
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I bought an 03 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 liter, as my personal and work truck. My trailer is a 5x10 all metal with the mesh floor. It is very light compared to most trailers, and all I will have on it is on WB, a 21 in. blowers, and edgers/trimmers. Do I need to put the truck in overdrive, or drive for transporting my trailer. Also is it ok for it to put it in drive while accelerating then shift it to over drive once I get up to about 55. The gas mileage is worse in Drive, but if it saves the trans it is worth it.
Thanks for the help.

lawnspecialties
03-09-2006, 05:40 PM
The only time you'd want to keep it in drive is when the transmission is "searching" (excessively shifting back and forth) for a good gear. On the highways, keep it OD. If you're in town, doing around 45 or less, put it in drive.

As for the manual upshifting, I'd put it in OD and just use moderate acceleration. The manual upshifting won't hurt anything but you'll probably slip it into neutral by accident a couple of times. :hammerhead:

MMLawn
03-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Actually if you read your Owners Manual most of them tell you to NEVER tow in OD.

bugspit
03-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Actually if you read your Owners Manual most of them tell you to NEVER tow in OD.
yep, :rolleyes:

I take it out of OD even when pulling empty.

lawnspecialties
03-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Go to ford-trucks.com. It is a forum site about nothing but Ford trucks. They have a section about rangers and mazda B-series and some really good mechanics respond there. Get there opinion and let us know. Your fellow lawnsite buds await.:)

MMLawn
03-09-2006, 08:33 PM
I have 3 Ford Trucks (along with Dodges and Chevys also) I have in my fleet and the manuals all say to NEVER tow in OD. Now granted they are also all 250's and 350's BUT I would think that because they are also much more designed for towing and have much greater payload rating than a Ranger that it surely would make not using OD in a small p/u a must.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I have to agree with MM, just put it in drive when towing, no need to over heat the tranny.

wayne

ALarsh
03-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Turn O/D off. Your tranny will thank you. I also had a 2004 Ranger, 4.0, 4x4, etc. Pulled a 6.5X12 trailer w/ a toro Z, always turned O/D off.

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/LawnFolder/Equipment/IMG_2595.jpg
http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/LawnFolder/Equipment/IMG_2587.jpg