PDA

View Full Version : Removing Pachysandra

guntruck
04-24-2001, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone, I would like to know if anyone has removed pachysandra before and how much trouble it is. I was called to an address where a lady would like her gardens redone edged cleaned etc, but wants all the pachysandra removed also. Now from experiance i know this is a wild growing cover, nice in some spots, but will grow grow grow. Does the entire root system need to be removed for it not to grow back? If so how deep do the roots normally run? If this were you how would you guys remove the pachysandra? The area is 7'x15' and 22'x5'. Thanks

Lanelle
04-24-2001, 07:40 PM
Round-up. Go back a week later and remove.

guntruck
04-24-2001, 07:46 PM
Will the round-up kill the root system Lanelle?

greens1
04-24-2001, 09:38 PM
I don't know if you need your apps. permit for roundup where you are located, but in MI if you get caught spraying without a permit you will be in for some serious fines. They can also impound your equiptment.

If you have your permit, or don't need one, then yes Roundup is a systemic nonselective herbicide. Make certain you read and follow the label, different rates for different plant material.

Jim L

guntruck
04-24-2001, 10:39 PM
Jim, yes here we need our lisence to spray anything if we are getting paid to do it. Therefore i will have a friend/fellow landscaper do it for me. I will always sub out my pesticide/weed control work, i dont need the hassles. I just mainly wanted the information for myself so i can recommend this info to him. I put alot of faith in what i get from here, its helped me tremendously thus far!! Thank you.

thelawnguy
04-24-2001, 10:52 PM
Take a shovel, cut a line along the narrow end of the bed, then get your fingers underneath the mat of roots and pull. The whole bed should come up like one large carpet-roll it up as you go along.

steveair
04-25-2001, 07:15 AM
Hello,

A non-selective herbicide such as round-up, finale, etc. is the way to go. Established Pachysandra is not an easy thing to rid a bed of. After the first spray, you will kill off a majority of it, however, a fair amount will come back.

I usually spray the area to be rennovated first, then wait a week for it to take effect. I even like to wait longer if possible. Use a strong mix of round-up, I generally use 5-6 oz per gallon, depending on the type being used.

After die back has occurred, till/excavate/dig up the area and try to rake out as much of the root system as possibe. If a other plants are going back into the area, a pre-emerge can be used to help any 'straglers' from coming up.

As the year progresses, you will find that even after all of this, some will still appear. You may need to spot spray the area for a couple of seasons to really get rid of all of it.

I hate pachysandra, because it is hard to get established in a lot of areas, then, in other areas, you can't get rid of it.

steveair

guntruck
04-25-2001, 09:46 AM
Thanks Steveair, i will pass all this info onto the customer. You guys are so helpful!! Thanks

GroundKprs
04-25-2001, 11:10 AM
Test the planting area first, before using a herbicide. I have also removed pachy by just rolling it up like sod. In my experience in our area, it does not root more than 1-1/2 inches below ground level. All roots run horizontal, and tend to form a dense mat that is really difficult to tear. You will probably have to cut it with a shovel when it gets too large. Last one I did was about 750 ft², and included 6 yews in bed - had to spend a little time around them pulling individual roots. 4 years later not a single pachy volunteer has appeared. Sometimes the old way is better than the fancy chemicals. :D

guntruck
04-26-2001, 08:10 PM
Can any of you guys give me an idea of what you might charge for such an endeavor? Im a littel unsure of the time involved, thanks!

re-leaf
05-13-2005, 05:22 PM
In Massachusetts, I have found pachysandra in established beds growing down to a foot, even underneath the rubber lining of man-made streams, running from one side to the other. I, too, would like to find a way to eliminate this "weed" without using herbicides. It is not economically feasible to pull the stuff out and I haven't found that "rolling" does the trick in the Northeast where it roots so deep. The tiniest piece of root, even way deep, sends up shoots no matter how deeply it's been dug. Any more ideas short of digging up all shrubs in the area and tilling down 18 inches before replanting the shrubs?

southscape
06-02-2005, 11:18 PM
2 4-d should do it

bluediamond
06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
In Massachusetts, I have found pachysandra in established beds growing down to a foot, even underneath the rubber lining of man-made streams, running from one side to the other. I, too, would like to find a way to eliminate this "weed" without using herbicides. It is not economically feasible to pull the stuff out and I haven't found that "rolling" does the trick in the Northeast where it roots so deep. The tiniest piece of root, even way deep, sends up shoots no matter how deeply it's been dug. Any more ideas short of digging up all shrubs in the area and tilling down 18 inches before replanting the shrubs?

I've read that the 2 best ways to get rid of pachysandra are to:
1. Blast it twice (2 separate occasions with weed killer). or
2. Cover it with black plastic and it will smother and die.
I'm not sure how long this second process takes.

thompsonp
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
We're looking for pachysandra and will come to you to dig it up and take it away. Please contact me at thompsonp@hotmail.com if you have some for the taking. Thanks.

White Gardens
08-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Pachysandra isn't cheap. If you've got a buyer, or another property, transplant it or sell it. Good money if you can get rid of it fast.