PDA

View Full Version : Another Mulching Question.

hillibilly
03-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I asked in the other thread about mulching, but never got a response. So I started a new one just for me :) lol.

Anyway here is my question to ya'll about an estimate. A customer wants the front flower bed of his house done. It is in total about 75ft long from one corner and then curves around the side of the house. It has an average width(away from the house) of 5-7ft. There are some weeds here and there and also a coupke of shrubs. Want do you think a good "idea" of an estimate might be?

Xterminator
03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
How much is the mulch a yard where you are

lawnmaniac883
03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Go out to the property, measure the beds that need to be mulched. Then after that is done, calculate the square footage of the area to be mulched...after that is done pay this site a visit: http://www.gardenplace.com/content/calculator/mulch_calc.html#

That site will give you the amount of material you will need. I would plan on 2-3'' of cover and price out bulk mulch in your area. Charge 50-70$ per yard of mulch installed.

Happy mulching!

B&D Lawn Care
03-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks thats a pretty good lil tool there maniac.

Runner
03-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Well, you got approx. 450 sq. ft, so if you lay it at 3" deep, you're looking at 4 1/2 yds., so you might as well make it 5 yds.. Now, what kind of mulch are they interested in? Shredded Cedar here for instance, goes for about $22 a yard, and the better hardwood mulches like Walnut, can go for up to 60. That's the purchase price out of the yard. Are you getting it yourself? Having it delivered? (Many places will deliver for free for 5 yds. or more...well worth it). You can figure your labor from there. If it's delivered, you should be able to spread it for around $20-30 per yd..

hillibilly
03-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Well, you got approx. 450 sq. ft, so if you lay it at 3" deep, you're looking at 4 1/2 yds., so you might as well make it 5 yds.. Now, what kind of mulch are they interested in? Shredded Cedar here for instance, goes for about $22 a yard, and the better hardwood mulches like Walnut, can go for up to 60. That's the purchase price out of the yard. Are you getting it yourself? Having it delivered? (Many places will deliver for free for 5 yds. or more...well worth it). You can figure your labor from there. If it's delivered, you should be able to spread it for around $20-30 per yd..

Thanks,both you you, some great tips.

Runner-Just making sure(dang I am dumb) you are meaning "Square Yard" and not the whole job right, when you price $20-30 a yd?

ArkansasLawns
03-10-2006, 08:50 AM
hillibilli

North Little Rock area is where I work. What area are you around? Out at Burnetts I am paying less than 14 a yard for shredded hardwood. I use my own trailer to pick it up. I have been charging 45 a yard to lay it out. 60 if I have to clean the area of leaves and weeds and so forth. Its all about what the market will bear. Supply and demand and what kind of profit you want.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2006, 09:17 AM
75ft x 6ft = 450sq.ft x .24 (for 3 inches of mulch) = 108 / 27 = 4 cubic yards.....

4 yards @ $55 installed = $220
delivery = $40

total = $ 260 + what every you need to charge for weeding, etc...

hillibilly
03-11-2006, 10:28 AM
What if the customer provides the mulch? Is that a good idea? Oringanly that is what he wanted to do.

ArkansasLawns
03-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Same price. Otherwise you are just a hired hand and he pays you by the hour. Why work for less when you have other lining up to pay you full price.