PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimming

howardsells2000
03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm new to the business. I'm going to give my first official free estimate in the morning. I've done many grass cuts and trims so I feel comfortable with estimating that part but this is going to be my first hedge trim estimate. It was an older man who called me who lives in a older neighborhood in the city. I have a feeling they are going to be way overgrown and very tall. I have been searching hedge trimming in the old posts. Most of the information was several years old. Should I charge by the foot, bush or hour? How do you guys do it. Thanks in advance for any advice. It's appreciated.

Green-Pro
03-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I charge by the bush with the average size bush being $12 to $15 per bush, I have had some that go $20 and on up to $45. Really it just depends on the size, I have a good idea on how long it will take to trim hedges with clippers and hand prunning, know what I need per hour based on all business costs and bid/estimate accordingly. Just be sure to not underbid yourself simply to get the job.

Good Luck

lawnspecialties
03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I charge by the bush with the average size bush being $12 to $15 per bush, I have had some that go $20 and on up to $45. Really it just depends on the size, I have a good idea on how long it will take to trim hedges with clippers and hand prunning, know what I need per hour based on all business costs and bid/estimate accordingly. Just be sure to not underbid yourself simply to get the job.

Good Luck

What he said. Digging holes and hedge trimming have got to be the two areas I hate the most in lawn care.:angry:

CAG
03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
go by the job, but watch out with the old folks just when you finished trimming and shaping all the shrubs they will come out and say they want them shorter!! It wont matter if its not in the best interest of the plant or whatever.. you will have to go over them again in order to make them happy! If you get the job trim one shrub and have them come out and ok it..then you have an idea of how the want the rest done..

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I'd go by the job as well....this way if someone has only 1 or 2 shrubs your not left with your hand on your backside

howardsells2000
03-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the advise.

B&D Lawn Care
03-10-2006, 03:52 AM
I always charge by the job on these. You gotta watch out for the old they will run you ragged.

JKOOPERS
03-10-2006, 03:56 AM
most of the time i charge a min of $100 unless theres only a couple of shrubs.

work_it
03-10-2006, 04:57 AM
I bid by the job. It all depends on the size of the hedge, how overgrown they are, and how much I'm going to have to haul away. Never forget to add in your dump fees.

I have to say, if you get good at it hedge trimming is one heck of a money maker. I have a landscape maintenance job that requires me to maintain over 300 feet of hedges and individual shrubs bi-weekly. After doing that for 2 years hedges become a walk-in-the-park. Easy money.