PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about a Troy-Bilt 23HP 50" Zero Turn Tractor Troy Bilt

hillibilly
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have one? Is it anygood? I am in the market for a cheap zero-turn mower for my second season of mowing and wanted to know if this was a good choice. If not than want are some good ones for around the same price?

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
My parents used to have a troybilt tractor 16hp w/ 48" deck. POS!!! Run, dont walk, Run as far away from that thing as you can. It never cut right from day one. and trying to find parts for the damn thing is one of the hardest things as Troybilt changed hands too many times.

lawnmaniac883
03-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Save your money for a commercial ZTR. Not sure what setup you are currently running but I would look into a commercial WB such as a TTHP or something similar. Dont waste money on crap equipment.

wissel_landscaping
03-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Are you talking about the RZT50? its the same mower as the cub cadet,simplicity,white. not to many people like them the EZT transmission is what i hear alot of bad things about.

iluvscag
03-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Junk. Enough Said

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
03-09-2006, 08:44 PM
It IS NOT the same mower as Simplicity, Simplicity ZTR Mowers are built by Ferris.

wissel_landscaping
03-09-2006, 08:55 PM
your right its cub, troy bilt, white i dont know why i was think simplicity.

hillibilly
03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Well the thing is I'am just starting out and have NO money. I am 16, and just want something to be mowing like 25 yards a week. Is there anything that might be able to fit in my price range?

hillibilly
03-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Ok what about a John Deere®
25 HP V-Twin OHV 54" Yard Tractor 190C. We have ALOT of credit at Lowes and this is something else I was looking at.

mow king
03-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok what about a John Deere®
25 HP V-Twin OHV 54" Yard Tractor 190C. We have ALOT of credit at Lowes and this is something else I was looking at.

Anything from lowes wont stand up to commerical abuse, if you're doing this on a very very part time basis it might work out for you.

Otherwise run from lowes.

hillibilly
03-09-2006, 09:54 PM
For the most part I do small residential yards. I have about 11 right now and I am looking towards a few more.

Oh and one more question, we have a "mower store" in my town that has a Cub Cadet 22 HP 50 In. Deck Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower what about this one? I am sorry for having so many questions but I want my money to count.

wissel_landscaping
03-09-2006, 09:56 PM
you would be better off starting with this http://www.mowtownusa.com/m5.html?form_name=ecom_ecl_product_details not bad to start with and the price is right.

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Since you have no money, or credit, go the MowJoe route for a while..... buy a $99.00 pusher from walmart and save, save, save!!!!

Jason Rose
03-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Well I am looking at the Cub Cadet version right here in the TSC ad I have. THe $2,999 version has a 22 hp KAWASAKI engine and the EZT transmissions. Homeowner machine but looks pretty damn well built for the money.

The other machine they have is the 23 hp KOHLER with the dual IZT hydros. For $3,999. Honestely you can't get any closer to a commercial machine than that and for that price that's 2 to 3 THOUSAND less than something similar in size.

Many mowers have had the IZT hydros and rarely is their a failure (what I was told).

mowergal
03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
I work for a company that does warranty for Lowes on Cub and last year are yard for work was a sea of cub cadets that were purchased from Lowes. Troybilt, cub, white are all owned by MTD now. That may help you decided.

BladeRunner1967
03-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Depot now has the Cub RZT50. Funny, the lawn and garden guy and three others were having a terrible time pushing this mower to the front of the store. I walked over and released the the hydros for them. :rolleyes: Mower looked good. 22 Kaw. $2999 They put it beside the POS Toro zturn. That should sell em.

Brendan Smith
03-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I have one, bought it last may. seems ok so far as i only use it part time. so far it has about 200 hours, but i am already thinking ahead and planning to buy an exmark, hustler, or maybe dixie chopper for next year as my business continues to grow. if 3k is the most you can spend and you have the mechanical ability to perform repairs yourself, that's one thing. if you are doing this full time and need to run it 8-10 hrs a day, keep saving your money. on the flip side i had a friend who bought one and the day after he bought it, we found one of the hydro hoses leaking and a weak hydro belt tensioner spring which was allowing the tensioner pulley to hit the left hydro pump. mine also developed this problem after about 75 hrs of use but i replaced the spring with a stiffer one and it seems ok. to sum up, if your business is all day every day, save your money. if you are part time for now, take your chances and get it to limp by for the next couple of years but SAVE YOUR MONEY THE WHOLE TIME FOR A COMMERCIAL UNIT, YOU'LL EVENTUALLY NEED IT.

Brendan Smith
03-10-2006, 09:37 AM
For the most part I do small residential yards. I have about 11 right now and I am looking towards a few more.

Oh and one more question, we have a "mower store" in my town that has a Cub Cadet 22 HP 50 In. Deck Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower what about this one? I am sorry for having so many questions but I want my money to count.
incidentally, that is the one i have. the reason my hrs are low is that i have a partner who shares the mowing duties.

hillibilly
03-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone. I have narrowered it now between the "Cub Cadet 22 HP 50 In. Deck" and the "Troy-Bilt 23HP 50in.". Since I am small and plan on getting a new mower in a couple years I think I can handle these cheaper modles. Everyone that I have talked to around here(lco's) have said that these two were one in the same. Is that true?

Travis Followell
03-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone. I have narrowered it now between the "Cub Cadet 22 HP 50 In. Deck" and the "Troy-Bilt 23HP 50in.". Since I am small and plan on getting a new mower in a couple years I think I can handle these cheaper modles. Everyone that I have talked to around here(lco's) have said that these two were one in the same. Is that true?
They are the exact same. Couldn't you tell by looking at them? If the Cub Cadet is coming from a dealer then get it. You'll get better service from a dealer than you'll get from Lowe's. If you take care of it and don't abuse it any it should last you a while but you'll definately want to be saving your money for a real commercial mower.

eddy tice
03-19-2006, 11:57 AM
get you a lesco z-two

newz7151
03-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Depot now has the Cub RZT50. Funny, the lawn and garden guy and three others were having a terrible time pushing this mower to the front of the store. I walked over and released the the hydros for them. :rolleyes: Mower looked good. 22 Kaw. $2999 They put it beside the POS Toro zturn. That should sell em.

That observation right there is what should keep anybody that is thinking of doing lawncare as a business from buying a cheap mower from one of the box stores. If the people there selling the unit have no idea how to even release the hydros to put it into free wheel, what makes you think they know what they are talking about while trying to sell you on the mower?

Dixie Rob
03-19-2006, 06:03 PM
I have no experience with a Troy Bilt ZTR, so my opinion may be biased, but I do have an opinion on Troy Bilt Trimmers.

I purchased a Troy Bilt strait shaft trimmer with all the accessories. It has the easy disconnect so it swaps between trimmer, brush cutter, edger, and tree trimmer. I used the trimmer 1 time 3 years ago when I bought it. It ran perfect, and other than the heavy weight, I was happy as could be. The next time I fired it up (a week later) it ran for about 10 minutes, then died. I could NOT get it fired back up. I tried calling Troy Bilt with no success, and told me I would have to send it in for warranty. Shipping was going to be on my dime, or I could get it fixed myself. I worked on it, and my mechanic worked on it for days upon end. We replaced all the fuel lines, plug and plug wire, muffler, and rebuilt the carburator. It still wouldn't do anything. I sent it to another mechanic and still nothing. After about 3 weeks of not running I finally had accumulated almost as much in bills from the repairs as the machine costs and I was refunded my money from lowes.

Don't do it. I still don't know what was wrong with that POS.

Oldman50s
03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
To Jason Rose, I had a similar question on Cub ZT's on another thread, no replies yet. What have you heard on IZT trans, is it reliable info? The way I understand EZT and IZT are different versions of trans made by Hydro-Gear. The Cub Z-force has a welded steel frame verses a stamped steel shell on the lower cost (RZT) mowers. I was looking at the Z-force and it looks to me like it is between a residential (RZT) and the commercial rated "Tank" series.
Also the Z-force is warranted 1yr commercial 2yr residential. The only problem I have is IZT and RZT are sealed units almost non-serviceable. Bottom line-Z-force seems to be a good unit for small residential use and maybe light commercial. Any input?

dwost
03-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I was in TSC yesterday and saw they were carrying the new Z-Force IZT units. They had the 60" w/ the 23 Kawi priced at $5,699. It looked like a nice compromise for an entry level commercial unit or an advanced homeowner model. I'm thinking the 23 may be a bit underpowered for a 60" deck (especially if mulching) but I'd love to hear feedback if anyone has run this unit. I too would be interested in the tranny info. It also could use wider rear wheels. I think they were 23" but quite narrow.

Lawn Works
03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the JD line at lowes. The problem with Lowes is that you can only purchase the models they have on hand. They cannot order the 737 ztr or anything else like that. Even the Z force line. Only what u see on the floor and I've yet to see any JD ztr mowers at lowes.:confused:

whiteslawnservices
03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
If your looking to $ make money if you dont want to burn them up$ the money you should have made or could have had made from a properly designed commercial mowers and weedeaters are for every day working the home this or that is for homes 1 time a week 4 times a month not every day mowing? so you can spend money to make money or buy cheap that will never hold up or last.:hammerhead: