PDA

View Full Version : Hip throttle - yes or no......

JTF40
03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I am about to purchase my 1st backpack blower. The question I have is do I want a hip throttle or trigger throttle. Which is more comfortable - which is more likely to give me problems. :usflag:

TJLC
03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
You will probally get alot of different opinions on this. I personally prefer the throttle on the tube. I tried the hip throttle and chose the tube mount instead, it just felt more comfortable to me. To each their own, I guess. Good luck.

Birdjr
03-09-2006, 08:33 PM
def go wit the hip trigger less stress on ur hand

wissel_landscaping
03-09-2006, 08:37 PM
hip throttle

mulcahy mowing
03-09-2006, 08:43 PM
IMO I have both. go hip i like the control of the tube better but the hip causes less hand stress.

dcondon
03-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Tube Throttle for me!!!:waving:

Lux Lawn
03-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Tube Throttle for me!!!:waving:

Same here less I think they are easier.

cush
03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
If you will be adjusting the throttle a lot then go with the tube if not go with the hip, set it and go!

Lawn Masters
03-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Same here less I think they are easier.
Me too. those hip throttles are uncomfortable to me, kinda strange for some reason.

ToroLandscaper
03-09-2006, 09:13 PM
I like the tube throttles ALOT better i have used both and i kinda feel weird with the hip throttle JMO

Jason Rose
03-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Tube throttle! Your hand has to be on that handle already to control the tube, why not have the throttle right under your index finger there. Seems elementry to me... I have never figured out yet the point to hip throttles, I guess someone figured people have 2 hands and arms and wanted them to use both for no apparent reason. I have ran mine with the tube throttle for 2+ hours non-stop with only shoulder pains. They all have a 'cruise' control if you can't seem to hold the trigger with your finger.

ed2hess
03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
The throttle on the tube seems like a good idea but long term the wiring gets damaged and causes problems. The throttle on the flex shaft on the left side seems to be more reliable.

Lazer Man
03-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm going with tube. We have both I prefer tube as was said you gotta hold on to the tube anyway.

Bob:clapping: :)

mulcahy mowing
03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
The throttle on the tube seems like a good idea but long term the wiring gets damaged and causes problems. The throttle on the flex shaft on the left side seems to be more reliable.
happend to me wire was ripped off on a mower and boom $50 fix

mkwl
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I have both, and I prefer the hip throttle. I spent $85 worth of parts to fix my Stihl BP blower, because the throttle cable bound up. IMO hip throttle is the way to go! :usflag:

grassyfras
03-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I wish I had hip. I aslo noticed on my Redmax with the tube and the cruise control doesnt stay on full throttle in less squeezing it. Pretty anyoing drring leaf season but otherwise its fine.

LwnmwrMan22
03-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Agree with the tube throttle's wiring being ruined, HOWEVER, I'll still go with a tube throttle, for when I used to have the hip throttles, it seemed whenever I'd try to squeeze in a tight area, say between two trees, the hip throttle would always want to go on the outside of the two trees I was trying to get between.

geogunn
03-10-2006, 01:08 AM
clearly tube is the way to go!

do not listen to those people behind the curtain!

GEO :waving:

shepoutside
03-10-2006, 01:09 AM
:canadaflag: I vote for tube too !!

JimLewis
03-10-2006, 03:18 AM
This is one of those decisions you need to make yourself. And it's hard to really tell without really owning and using one of each kind for quite a while.

We own 10 or so backpack blowers. Most of them are hip throttle. That's my personal preference. BUT!!!! Only if it's a flexible throddle arm like the Echos. The firm throttle arms like the RedMax and Shindiawas have always stab me in the side as I am puting the unit on. Those SUCK! So for me, it's hip throttle, Echo...all the way.

But again this is a personal preference thing.

Richard Martin
03-10-2006, 04:26 AM
I've used both and I have no preference. Hip or tube, it beats raking.

work_it
03-10-2006, 04:31 AM
I've used both and I have no preference. Hip or tube, it beats raking.Well said Richard. Ditto that!

lawnrangeralaska
03-10-2006, 09:48 PM
The hip throttle is much easier, plus i don't always like holding the tube handle, most of the time i just grab onto the tube itself and blow that way. With hip throttles you can set the speed and go, and it also gives you a more stable feel holding it with two hands and you need that with the extreme power out of these big block blowers like my EBZ 8000.

LwnmwrMan22
03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
The hip throttle is much easier, plus i don't always like holding the tube handle, most of the time i just grab onto the tube itself and blow that way. With hip throttles you can set the speed and go, and it also gives you a more stable feel holding it with two hands and you need that with the extreme power out of these big block blowers like my EBZ 8000.

You can just set the tube throttle and go too, at least on the Echo.

I just set it and hold on to the tube as well.

mcwlandscaping
03-10-2006, 11:49 PM
All for the hip mount

proenterprises
03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I like my echo 750 with the hip throttle

evergreenedmond
03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
all we use is hip mount

TLS
03-11-2006, 12:48 AM
I've had both.

Either is good.

I'd like to go back to trigger now that I've had hip. Your hands on the handle anyways, may as well be doing two things at once.

Hip arm always gets in the way for me.

My trigger echo lasted about 8 seasons never any problems breaking anything.

JimLewis
03-13-2006, 12:00 AM
The hip throttle is much easier...... and it also gives you a more stable feel holding it with two hands and you need that with the extreme power out of these big block blowers like my EBZ 8000.

See, that's exactly why I prefer the hip throttle too. It's more balanced, I guess you'd say. When I use one with a tube throttle, It feels off-balance. It makes me have to torque that side of my body just to stay balanced. It's a little annoying.

dcplace2004
03-13-2006, 01:20 AM
you can always lock the trigger if you want...Hope you are getting the Stihl BR600 cause it is THE best BP out there...that is not opinion, but fact when you list the all the features and benefits...less noise, less weight, very little vibration (has springs and rubber bumpers to absorb shock), contoured design with fuel lines and such covered to minimize snags from bushes and other things, great fuel economy, anti-shock chord in tube, less price, velcro tie to tie the tube to the frame to store it (not that you could not buy the strap somewhere else for another machine), minimal difference in power with that other BP blower people boast about...the BR600 is the best all around blower out there...I had a tractor company drive the "other" blower out to me so I could demo it next to the 600...with the features I listed and the fact that I noticed minimal difference in power between the two, I then had proof I had bought the correct blower...