PDA

View Full Version : All experts, vets, and critics, review my new business!

RobertVF
03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
After a long time of thinking about it, I am finally starting my lawn care business! Here is what I have accomplished so far:

Other than already having my truck and trailer, I have purchased all of my new equipment

21" Snapper commercial mower
Mulching kit for mower
Echo commercial trimmer
Echo commercial edger
Echo commercial BP blower
Hand-held clipper

Marketing

1000 Doorhangers from 48hourprint.com
Business shirts - t-shirts for work & collared shirts for estimates
Magnetic lettering for truck
Signs for intersections, poles, etc
Magnetic business cards

Maintenance

Oil & gas cans
Blade balancer & sharpener
Extra trimmer heads for reload
Tools
Trimmer string
Extra blades & belts

Accounting

Lawnpro software
Notebook, calender, laptop, quickbooks
Filing cabinet

Legitimacy

Insurance
License
Accountant
Business account at bank
Business debit card
Business gas card

I am keeping all personal expenses seperate from business expenses.

Keep in mind that I am keeping this real simple. My business provides mowing, trimming, edging, and power sweeping the yard. We also straighten up out-of-control bushes.

What am I lacking besides the obvious? What should I add to the list?

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Impressive.... looks like you got your I's dotted and T's crossed. Other than customers, i think ur all set.

ed2hess
03-09-2006, 08:53 PM
This is very impressive! This is the way to start as opposed to putting big money into riding equipment during the start-up phase. It is easy to keep all your stuff in one side of a garage if necessary.

RobertVF
03-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Impressive.... looks like you got your I's dotted and T's crossed. Other than customers, i think ur all set.

Thanks! If you think of anything, let me know!

RobertVF
03-09-2006, 08:58 PM
This is very impressive! This is the way to start as opposed to putting big money into riding equipment during the start-up phase. It is easy to keep all your stuff in one side of a garage if necessary.

Thanks! I had around $7,000 to start with and I still have a lot left. I am targeting a group of neighborhoods very close to my house that have around 1/4 acre yards. These are $25 - $35 yards. I decided to start real small and simple, and see what comes of it.

J&R Landscaping
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
That is the way to go! Small and simple and grow as you go. Very impressive start-up list! Do you have any accounts yet?

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks! I had around $7,000 to start with and I still have a lot left. I am targeting a group of neighborhoods very close to my house that have around 1/4 acre yards. These are $25 - $35 yards. I decided to start real small and simple, and see what comes of it.

good game plan....make sure you still have that nice nest egg put away for when you come across the occasional slow payers... Good Luck This Season...... BTW so far this year, you have the most impressive/realistic game plan I have seen on this site of any newcommer in the biz.

RobertVF
03-09-2006, 09:32 PM
That is the way to go! Small and simple and grow as you go. Very impressive start-up list! Do you have any accounts yet?

Thanks! I do not have one account as of now. The day that I get my doorhangers in the mail, I will have my collared business shirt tucked in, clean shaven, lettering on the truck, magnetic business cards on hand, and estimate documents ready to hit my targeted neighborhoods!

I have a childhood friend that will be in town May 6th. He will be here for 2 months and wants to work! I plan on having enough accounts by that time to need his help.

Thirdpete
03-09-2006, 09:35 PM
You'll need a lot more than 1000 door hangers. If you get 1 percent call return, you're doing good. I plan on .5 percent return on the flyers and that's usually what I get. The flyers are top quality, too. Without knowing your financial situation, i would take whatever you have left, get 10,000 door hangers or flyers or whatever, and hit neighborhoods 2-3x each inside of the next month and a half, two months. Advertising is huge.

RobertVF
03-09-2006, 09:42 PM
good game plan....make sure you still have that nice nest egg put away for when you come across the occasional slow payers... Good Luck This Season...... BTW so far this year, you have the most impressive/realistic game plan I have seen on this site of any newcommer in the biz.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! I appreciate that comment!

I am a 22 year old entrepreneur who ran into a huge roadblock when I was opening a franchise. I was securing my investments when the landlord demanded that I have a co-signer for the 3 year retail space lease. I didn't have enough credit, and I was taking on some major debt.

I decided to put that project on hold and open up a smaller business with much less overhead. I love hard work, lawn care, and have the capital to make it happen. I see this as a great way to build credit and eventually build excessive cash. That's my story.

RobertVF
03-09-2006, 09:51 PM
You'll need a lot more than 1000 door hangers. If you get 1 percent call return, you're doing good. I plan on .5 percent return on the flyers and that's usually what I get. The flyers are top quality, too. Without knowing your financial situation, i would take whatever you have left, get 10,000 door hangers or flyers or whatever, and hit neighborhoods 2-3x each inside of the next month and a half, two months. Advertising is huge.

Great point! As you know, I am having 48hourprint print 1,000 top quality doorhangers. I am passing out every doorhanger and seeing what kind of response I get from them. I am ordering more and hitting the same neighborhoods and others around the 1st of April.

chriscraft
03-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a great plan . the closer knit youre area the better . dont be tempted by a job thats a ways out yo umight regret it 10 homes in a squre mile is beter than 20 in 30 square miles youre time and gas will come out even in the long run. once you get real busy youll regret the accts that are too distant

RobertVF
03-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a great plan . the closer knit youre area the better . dont be tempted by a job thats a ways out yo umight regret it 10 homes in a squre mile is beter than 20 in 30 square miles youre time and gas will come out even in the long run. once you get real busy youll regret the accts that are too distant

Thanks! I am passing out 1,000 doorhangers in some neighborhoods really close to my house. It makes no sense to have 10-20 accounts in these neighborhoods, and have 1 across town. I am starting small and close and if all goes well, I will expand outwards!

RobertVF
03-10-2006, 06:08 PM
I can't wait! This season is going to be the most productive one yet!