PDA

View Full Version : What if....

grassyfras
03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
What if you fertilized a lawn and the owners call you and tell your that their dog or cat died and they think its because of you? Does this happen. I dont do pesticdes but would like to next year get my license. I'm worried about this. I see Scotts and Tru-Green Fert all the time at peoples homes who have pets. Whats the deal with this issue? Is this something to be concerned about?

LLandscaping
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
We apply pesticides but only to about a dozen or so lawns. We mainly do lawn maintenance but we have yet to have a problem with dogs or cats.

ant
03-10-2006, 12:43 AM
do a search on this site.. few yrs. ago i happened to me..

ArizPestWeed
03-10-2006, 01:02 AM
It happens to , well , maybe 3 times in the past 3 years .
I do only pest & weed control.
Almost always , if something dies or gets sick , they blame me .
It never is me .
One client's next door beighbor had some birds die in their back yard , and the neighbor was sure it was my pest or herbicide .
Well , my client was one of the mangers of a Home Depot , they sell the same stuff I used , still , I had to stop , the finger is almost always pointed at me.
There is a place in Phoenix that can test for this kinda stuff , never had to use it.
When you start to get licensed , you'll realize how things work , the label ststes , keep animals of until it drys , they it's safe , the manufactures have figured you right , you should have no problem as long as you can follow the lable and have common sense
Good luck

somo1
03-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Homeowners are usually concerned when liquids are applied. I use a granular fert. and liquid herbicide. I always tell them if they are concerned that the liquid is fine as long as they keep their pets off until dry. And that it is also 98% water. 1.5 oz./gallon mix. That usually eases their mind. Plus Scotts has been in the fert. business for almost 100 yrs. they know what they are doing.

Runner
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
People have several pets...they have hes dogs that are basically muts, and they don't care that much about them. Then, as soon as something happens to them, their mongrel dog is suddenly worth 10,000 bucks.

Tscape
03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Fear can be crippling. Positive visualization is important.

You sound like you think you are going to kill dogs and cats.

Tscape
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
OK. Let me try to be more helpful. You are not going to kill pets because you are a licensed applicator who knows how to read and follow the label of chemicals that have been scrutinized and certified by the Environmental Protection Agency. And you have to take a test every couple of years to prove that you can read that label. Hell you ain't no dummy lak yer cuzzin Earl who dranks too much and beats awn his waf.

MWHC
03-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Read the label, you will be fine.

MWHC
03-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Read the label, you will be fine. IF the pet is outside, owner is not home, don't treat the yard. It's that simple. If they are home, have them put the pet in and wait until the lawn dries. If you are spot spraying, I don't know if you could kill the pet if you wanted to. Those buggers are fast enough to dodge the backpack sprayer when I hurl it at them.

We have had one lady in 10 years complain that her dog was shaking; blaming the chemicals. At that time I spot sprayed everything and she had 1 weed per 7k (we didn't use herbicides on her lawn). I inquired about the dogs age. 15 years old. Hmmmm, possibly old age?

Just use common sense. Someone has to; because some customers cant.

TurfProSTL
03-11-2006, 07:29 PM
In over 25 years, I've had a handful of dogs get irritations on the pads of their paws. Usually in the spring (granular fert w/ pre-emergent, damp lawns?). These customers were advised to water the lawn and let it dry before allowing their pets to re-enter.

I've spoken to 2 vets that were trying to blame lawn chemicals for pet ailments. Provided MSDS and labels. And never heard back from either.

I've been blamed for bird deaths weeks after our last visit. Birds live forever, never die of old age.

Follow the labels, leave customers info concerning re-entry, and quit worrying.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-11-2006, 08:30 PM
When I worked for Chemlawn back in the late 80's we would spray & spread with dogs in the back yard. Didn't matter at all. I was actually bitten once while spraying a back lawn.

Obviously, the material won't hurt a dog. But the chemical companies have already figured out that they have to CYA themselves, so now all the 2-4D labels say keeps pets off until it's dry. For this reason, my workers WILL NOT treat a back yard if there's a dog in it...even if it just needs fertilizer and no spot treatment. I had a lady freak out last summer because of the fertilizer granuals in her back lawn. She cancelled over it. Said she was gonna try to get out there with the vacuum cleaner!!! Another lady insisted that our treatments were irritating her dogs allergies. She canceled the fert program. Next week, she was calling to cancel the mowing & bed weed control because the glyphosphate that we apply in the beds was suddenly the cause of the problem.

If there is a dog in the back yard, we treat the front yard and side yards and bill full price. We leave a note on the door that says we didn't treat the back lawn and if they want us to return they need to call us. If they don't call, they don't get their back lawn treated. Most people are too busy to find the time to call, so it actually helps our cost of goods sold a little bit.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper