PDA

View Full Version : 23,25 or 27 HP for 60 ZTR?

haulinggrass
03-09-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm home owner with 5.5 acres to mow. I bought a Husky with 23 Kaw and is was weak to me.:weightlifter: I will be getting a 25hp next week. What do the pro's think?:confused:
Thanks

robertsturf
03-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I would go with the 27HP. In the Spring you can never have too much HP. We have a Toro 52" with a 27Kohler and it never bogs no matter what.

jtkplc
03-09-2006, 11:50 PM
For a commercial application I woudn't think twice, 27 HP all the way, or even more if possible...

However, for personal use it's not as much of a necessity, so I guess if you want to spend the extra money then the more power to you. More power isn't a bad thing and 27HP won't be overkill on a 60" deck.

NEPSJay
03-09-2006, 11:50 PM
what size mower deck?? 48? 52? 60??

JClawncare
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I have a Husky 27hp 52" it is great. 27hp for 52" or go for the 30hp on the 61"
both have a great power to deck ratio. but I would not go below 25hp for 52" or 27hp for 61"

haulinggrass
03-09-2006, 11:58 PM
It is a 61" deck with a 25 Kaw.

haulinggrass
03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the quick help! Can someone chime in on this? I was told when I took the 23 Kaw back they didn't check the RPM? It was from the factory 3355. The main guy told the service man to set it at 3750 RPM. I was later told the motor was safe to run 3900 RPM, but the mower was only good for 3750 RPM. Is any of this right, or what is the best speed . The mower will be a Husky LZ6125 Kaw. Thanks again.

robertsturf
03-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Rpm can have a lot to do with it . We purchase small tach's to go on our machines for that reason. We set ours on 3600.

Envy Lawn Service
03-10-2006, 12:24 AM
The 25 Kaw is OK on some 60" deck applications.
It does well on my Z-two but I would not want any less.

It's no secret how I feel about Husqvarna-Yazoo/Kees though...
There are much better choices available out there.

haulinggrass
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
ENVY, it is no secret. I hope it does well for me. I think it will get<100 hrs. per year.

Envy Lawn Service
03-10-2006, 12:34 AM
ENVY, it is no secret. I hope it does well for me. I think it will get<100 hrs. per year.

For the record, I really really hope so too.

In my case I had two that let me down at under 100 hours and one that never lived to see 100 hours.

haulinggrass
03-10-2006, 12:38 AM
I have been on the wrong end of a deal gone bad, so I know it is hard to wish someone well after the bad taste still lingers.

Envy Lawn Service
03-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the quick help! Can someone chime in on this? I was told when I took the 23 Kaw back they didn't check the RPM? It was from the factory 3355. The main guy told the service man to set it at 3750 RPM. I was later told the motor was safe to run 3900 RPM, but the mower was only good for 3750 RPM. Is any of this right, or what is the best speed . The mower will be a Husky LZ6125 Kaw. Thanks again.

OK, the low RPM from the factory is typical.
Typical because Husqvarna does not bother to set them up properly before shipping.
The quality control is the pits, so you or the dealer has to set it up properly.

The Kawasaki's are good for 3750-3800 RPM no problem.
If the dealer set it at 3750 I wouldn't change a thing....

1) A few more RPM above 3750 is not going to help with power or cutting performance or drive issues. All 3900 RPM will do is shorten your engine life even more than it will be already from being overworked.

2) I would not personally touch, adjust, change, ANYTHING on the mower YOURSELF ever.... because the MFG does not intend to honor the warranty as it is. If something else on the machine goes bad, the first thing they are going to try to blame it on is engine RPM above the factory setting (which they never do in the first place) and anything above the long standing 3600 RPM is an absolute guarantee they are going to do that.

For whatever reason, the hydro systems on those machines are already walking a fine line and the spindles fail quickly as it is.... ect.

SO LET ANY AND ALL BLAME FALL BACK ON THE DEALER

My first advice is to get your money back NOW while it's so early on that it can't legally be denied. Then take $6,000 of it and buy something better.

Otherwise if you insist on staying with the brand, swap it for the full size 25 Kaw or 27 Kohler 61" machine. Of all they produce it is the safest bet.

Richard Martin
03-10-2006, 04:41 AM
I would have the RPM set so they are at 3600 with the blades on. I would also go with the biggest engine you can afford. You can never have too much power but you can certainly not have enough.

haulinggrass
03-10-2006, 10:10 AM
"I would also go with the biggest engine you can afford."

The way it is now, 25 HP is the best I can do. I feel like I could use it for 2-3 years and up grade if needed. Thanks for the help.

6'7 330
03-10-2006, 10:38 AM

A V-twin Kawi can be set at 3750 under no load with the blades engaged.That would correspond to about 3850 without the blades engaged.

troyeberly
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
I've heard there is a lawsuit out against various engine makers for saying they have more horsepower than they do and or there seem to be different standards of testing used. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this because it would certainly cause sales drops for those companies exagerating.

haulinggrass
03-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the help. I picked it up tonight. It is a Husky LZ6125 Kaw. I had them set the rpm to 3670. I didn't understand it should be higher just sitting.
I do have a bigger question. One of the salesmen checked the oil before the rpm adjustment. The oil was a little milky. They changed the oil and filter on site. I was told it was from being choked and it had fuel in the oil. Is this common or bull. I have seen water in oil before. It was close to the same color, but it didn't feel the same in my hand.

lawnmaniac883
03-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Just couldnt refrain :laugh:

CC Lawncare
03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Fuel-Injection is a must for me, especially with gas prices today. 30% saving on fuel consumption with fuel injection + it doesn'tbog down under load like regular carb.

6'7 330
03-10-2006, 09:38 PM
The oil was a little milky. They changed the oil and filter on site. I was told it was from being choked and it had fuel in the oil. Is this common or bull. I have seen water in oil before. It was close to the same color, but it didn't feel the same in my hand.

I have never had a mower do it just sitting still. We have had mowers bouncing around on trailers,employees didn't shut the fuel value off ,get fuel in the oil.All employees are instructed to turn that fuel value off while trailering the mowers.

CC Lawncare
03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=haulinggrass] The oil was a little milky. They changed the oil and filter on site. I was told it was from being choked and it had fuel in the oil. Is this common or bull. I have seen water in oil before. QUOTE]
Whenever I have anything that I feel is questionable with my machines, ANYTHING, ......I tell my dealer and have him note it in my file. I have had too many times early on in my business that I thought I heard something or had a concern in some way and made the mistake of NOT mentioning it. Then it reappears AFTER my warranty expired. :(
Now I let them know as soon as I hear or see something and they check it out. It gets noted, whether they find something to be wrong at that time or not. It has save me money more than once.

Richard Martin
03-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I do have a bigger question. One of the salesmen checked the oil before the rpm adjustment. The oil was a little milky. They changed the oil and filter on site. I was told it was from being choked and it had fuel in the oil. Is this common or bull. I have seen water in oil before. It was close to the same color, but it didn't feel the same in my hand.

I'm guessing that the mower has been started and moved around at the dealership a few times before you bought it. If you do that in the winter months the oil will pick up some condensation. I wouldn't worry about it unless the engine is liquid cooled.

haulinggrass
03-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Wisdom in numbers, THANKS.

haulinggrass
03-11-2006, 09:47 PM
I cut with it today.:clapping: It did fine? I never had one before to compare with. The motor made a different type sound under a load. The motor made a sound like the tire was rubbing on the frame. Maybe it was normal? Any thoughts? Thanks

JClawncare
03-11-2006, 10:30 PM
When I bought my SCAG it did the same thing. Turns out sometimes the engine manf. companies will put a low grade oil in the engines and call it a break-in oil just to save face with customers. Just change the oil and oil filter and also check and repack the grease fittings to sometimes low grade grease is used. Congrats on the husky I really like mine lz5227. When I got it home I changed the oil and repacked the grease just to be sure.Nothing against my dealer just did for my peace of mind.