PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

rplc
03-10-2006, 12:06 AM
My brother and I have been in business for three years and have seen an increase in accounts each year. We both have full time jobs and do all our cutting in the evening an weekends.We haven't done any advertising and still continue to get new calls. I guess my question is weather or not we should get another set of equipment and run two crews or start doing it full time. My concern is that there is a lot of competition out there and I don't know if we will be able to make enough to justify quitting one or both of our jobs. If you guys have any other suggestions we're all ears. Thanks!!

sbc1971
03-10-2006, 12:09 AM
I guess it depends on what your other full time jobs are.Are you willing to lose them?Can you quickly be rehired if you need to?

NEPSJay
03-10-2006, 12:21 AM
maybe one could make the move full time and the other could stay at his day job?

CAG
03-10-2006, 12:26 AM
whats the difference in pay from your job and the business as you stand now?

rplc
03-10-2006, 12:28 AM
My brother is a draftsman and I am a machinist. I know that we both could find jobs, although they may not be the same ones. It just seems a bit risky. I guess everyone is little nervous when they make that transition.

rplc
03-10-2006, 12:33 AM
the pay is signifigant right now, but I see big potential in the lawn care business.

B&D Lawn Care
03-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Ya gotta ask yourself can this support the one who quits year round, insurance and stuff like that. Iwould probably try to hire someone dependable and keep the extra work coming in. At least you would keep your ins. and job.

CAG
03-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Without knowing exact numbers i would say if you and your brother each make 50K or more, like your job and its not hard or stressful keep it a side biz.. I'm sure you guys could take 100k each a year landscaping but the 50% more in pay will turn into 250% more work than you probably do now..