PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to Fertilizing...help?

Drivefaster35
03-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey guys I'm new to fertilizing and just got my app lisence from the state and about to by my first major bulf of fertilizer and I was wonder what anybodys opinion would be for crabgrass notrol I'm thinking of buying Deminsion .10 22-2-5 25%SCU any suggestions would be great I am new to fertilizing so hit me with whatever you may have for me open to all suggestions-thanks :usflag:

indyturf
03-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I would go with a lower N rate for the spring application, I use 13-3-7 and save the higher rates for fall apps.

Drivefaster35
03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I thought about that to I think I might actually go with that I think I can get a 12-3-4 I plan on doing 5 applications per year any suggestions on the 4remander apps I'll post what I haveplanned later i'f that would help for suggestions its just I'm really not sure and dont wanna screw up someone's lawn I take pride in the work i have done in the past with mowing and hope to learn more and take pride it fertilizing as well over the next few years-thanks

Drivefaster35
03-11-2006, 01:24 AM
I forgot to ask why do you suggest using the lower N level in the Spring and the Higher level in the Fall???

griffy77
03-11-2006, 01:48 AM
since u live in iowa i wouldnt use anymore than 15% dimension, usually in combonation 19-0-4. As for the N level i wouldnt worry too much it has a 30% sulfur coating that will release it fast enough to give a quick green up by april if u apply now in March. In the south higher % of dimension is used. the best solution to controling crabgrass is to have a thick lawn. Control broadleaf in May with Monetum then in fall overseed and that will greatly reduce chances of crabgrass outbreak.

Also heads up for this season for drought conditions. It looks like its going to be a hot season which can promote crabgrass outbreaks. The best thing to do if you think its going to be real hot this summer and dry, in about June put down 0-0-10 or at least some where in the ballpark. Potassium wil help reduce stress.

Hope this helps :)

Drivefaster35
03-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Dang boy your all full of informationa dn I love it thanks dude and yes after a year like last year I am very aware and SCARED of another drought but I hae one last stupid question I'm lookin at a Dimension .10 13-2-5 witha slow N% type at AM what exactly does the AM stand for I'm kinda havena brain fart here thanks again for all the help guys really appreciate it :waving:

griffy77
03-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Not sure exactly what AM is? The only thing I can think of is it could be Ammonicacal Nitrogen? If in doubt go over to the Lesco forum and ask those guys they are experts in this field.

I just spent the whole day putting down .10% 19-0-6 and I live in WV we are kinda on the same longitudal plane so i would figure for your nec of the woods it would be the same. When it comes to choosing NPK i think its a little trial and error honestly. I can tell though that it serves no purpose to put down phosphorus now so look for ferts with a 0 in the middle and u cant really go wrong. Phosphorus can cause nute lock some times. Hope this helps.

Drivefaster35
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Not sure exactly what AM is? The only thing I can think of is it could be Ammonicacal Nitrogen? If in doubt go over to the Lesco forum and ask those guys they are experts in this field.

I just spent the whole day putting down .10% 19-0-6 and I live in WV we are kinda on the same longitudal plane so i would figure for your nec of the woods it would be the same. When it comes to choosing NPK i think its a little trial and error honestly. I can tell though that it serves no purpose to put down phosphorus now so look for ferts with a 0 in the middle and u cant really go wrong. Phosphorus can cause nute lock some times. Hope this helps.

Heck yea Griffy77 thanks a b unch for the help I'm a little worried about what the summers ganna be like this year last year sucked horribly but u just nevber know in the MIDWEST I was wondering i'f you had any suggestion at all on broadleaf control I was thinkin about goin with some TRIMEC I believe but I'm just not so sure on that either I just do NOT want to screw up anybody's lawns so I appolagize in advance i'f I'm gettina little annouying but man I just really appreciate your help this website has been the best for me THANKS AGAIN :)

griffy77
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
I havent tried Timec yet but I have used ever home owners brand and they all suck. So far the best thing I have found to work is Momentum. Best thing to do is in May apply weed and feed 21-0-12 then spot treat throughout the summer with Momentum. Then in September overseed.

Yea I have the same anxiety especially since I just bought a house. This biz is alot like farming if we have a drought then financially we are going to be hurting. So just do a rain dance and hope for the best.

good luck :)

Drivefaster35
03-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks dude you have no idea how much I appreciate the help :usflag:

robertsturf
03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
AM generally refers to all mineral content fertilizer. No slow release coating on the fertilizer.