PDA

View Full Version : work harder for the same pay???

olderthandirt
03-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Would you work harder than necessary for the same amount of pay when maintaining a lawn. Or just do the best job possable always? :confused:

Richard Martin
03-10-2006, 03:29 AM
I try to do the best job I can. If I find that I have underbid the job I try to get the price in line the next year.

work_it
03-10-2006, 03:33 AM
Quality always comes first. No exception. If I underbid a job it's my own fault so I just suck it up and get through it as quick as possible.

Jpocket
03-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Quality always comes first. No exception. If I underbid a job it's my own fault so I just suck it up and get through it as quick as possible.

YEa I feel the same way too, but it depends on whta are a/neighborhood the lawn is in. If it's in an area wheree people don't care then I don't care.

ArkansasLawns
03-10-2006, 08:03 AM
I try to do my best in all my yards. Sometimes I get screwed but my learning curve just shortened and my on the job training gets another update. I seem to make less and less bad bids as I gain experience.

Just thinking...what I consider a bad job may appear to the customer as a super duper job... "My lawn never looked better"!

Green-Pro
03-10-2006, 08:12 AM
We began developing a practice last year that has helped us target higher end clients that will use more than just mowing services.

That practice is quality, this along with being dependable and honest has enabled us to charge higher prices than our competitors and yet still enjoy growth.

To answer no you will not get us to go beyond the agreed upon level of service for an agreed upon price, as you (the customer) steps up in service and price quality keeps pace.

This is not to say we do sub standard work on our properties, the folks that just want the basic mowing, trimming, and blowing of grass clippings get the best job we can do in that regard, unless they are willing to pay for it however we will not go above and beyond that.

daveintoledo
03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
if there friends, neighbors and family arent impressed... its not good enough,,, must stand out on the block as exceptional looking...planning on net seeing much under bidding though ......

:)

palawnman
03-10-2006, 10:16 AM
I believe in quality first, there is no better form of advertising than showing off what you can do. Like someone said earlier, if I ended up under estimating time on or pay something I just try to make sure it is in line for the next time. I look at it as a learning experience. I try to treat all my customers as if they are my only customer, and not take anyone for granted.

Ron

olderthandirt
03-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Just thinking...what I consider a bad job may appear to the customer as a super duper job... "My lawn never looked better"!

90% of your clients will only notice a 10% difference in great quality from mediocre quality.

Your suppose to notice the little things that make a big difference [ thats your job] the average customer does not and the upscale customer even less so.

I kept track of some onfo for a cple yrs and those # hold true.
How many times have you been finishing up and the client comes home from work hits the button and drives into the garage, waves as the door goes down and you don't see them again?

They don't come out and walk around saying he missed this small patch with the trimer or he should have trimmed this bush an 1" shorter to match the other ones perfectly.
They seldom come out at all ESPECIALLY the higher income group [ to busy working ] They will come out if there having a party but otherwise they don't notice your great work.
Heres a way you can prove this to yourself. Drive down the st. and what do you notice about every yard? Only the front! And when your in a house do you stare out a window, of course not thats why TV was invented. But when the dishes are being done theres a kitchen window and its the one that will be looked out the most. Do a great job in the front and in the back where the window over looks and don't spend as much time on the other areas. This extra time you save will allow you to do apprx. 2 more jobs per wk. an extra $70-$140 depending on price and region.
It will not affect your reputation or what other think of your work [no one will notice but you] and allow you to put an extra $100 a wk average to your income

daveintoledo
03-10-2006, 10:32 AM
ive often wondered, if anyone notices the extra effort....wondering if they ever watch......

very interesting...... two more customers per week that could be a big difference at the end of the year....:)

LwnmwrMan22
03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
90% of your clients will only notice a 10% difference in great quality from mediocre quality.

Your suppose to notice the little things that make a big difference [ thats your job] the average customer does not and the upscale customer even less so.

How many times have you been finishing up and the client comes home from work hits the button and drives into the garage, waves as the door goes down and you don't see them again?

They don't come out and walk around saying he missed this small patch with the trimer or he should have trimmed this bush an 1" shorter to match the other ones perfectly.
They seldom come out at all ESPECIALLY the higher income group [ to busy working ] They will come out if there having a party but otherwise they don't notice your great work.
Heres a way you can prove this to yourself. Drive down the st. and what do you notice about every yard? Only the front! And when your in a house do you stare out a window, of course not thats why TV was invented. But when the dishes are being done theres a kitchen window and its the one that will be looked out the most. Do a great job in the front and in the back where the window over looks and don't spend as much time on the other areas. This extra time you save will allow you to do apprx. 2 more jobs per wk. an extra $70-$140 depending on price and region.
It will not affect your reputation or what other think of your work [no one will notice but you] and allow you to put an extra $100 a wk average to your income

I THINK I know where you're going with this, but NOT exactly sure.

Over the years, I've learned which customers I can skip corners on, maybe not trim every single tree on the property, because the owner / manager never goes to that area anyways. Sometimes this saves an hour's worth of work, which is real nice when it's 90 degrees out.

I used to be an absolute perfectionist on every single yard, make sure every single blade of grass was perfect.

I then realized that 99% of my customers just "glance" at the grass. Either they're too busy with kids, going into the office still 1/2 asleep, coming home, just wanting to eat dinner.... etc, etc.

I realized that if there's nothing out of the ordinary (missing a mowers width of grass in the middle of the yard) and it's mowed on time, and other work is done within reason, that 95% of the people will be happy. The other 5% will eventually move on to another company and I can replace them with the customers that I like to deal with.

Obviously the biggest thing is you can't leave stuff that's completely obvious, such as not trimming along the house, or other solid wall, since that stands out like a sore thumb.

But if you have a tree in the far back corner of the property, one that has alot of shade and doesn't grow very well to begin with, chances are you probably don't have to walk all the way over there each and every week.

topsites
03-10-2006, 11:25 AM

I agree 100%, I found out the same thing, I also did a type of a study by doing jobs both one way, and the other.

Will I do more work for less pay? No, but I'll gladly do less work for more pay! Well, it's the same thing: More work for the same pay is the same thing as more for less, it really is, we're only splitting hairs here.

Want to make the lawn look better?
Spend a few hundred and let me core aerate, lime, seed, and fertilize the lawn.
Thank you now.