PDA

View Full Version : Advice Disclaimer

Stonehenge
04-24-2001, 11:11 PM
I was just responding to a thread, and gave a somewhat dangerous method to solve the problem. As a preventive measure, I put a little disclaimer at the end of the post, and it got me thinking....

In the posting guideline, as something required for membership, wouldn't it be a good idea to have some sort of 'employ the advice here at your own risk' clause in the guidelines? Wouldn't cost anything, and might prevent a litigious homeowner from suing either one of us or Lawnsite for something they did based on advice here that resulted in property damage or injury or death. Or even a small biz owner trying something they aren't qualified to try, that they saw here, that resulted in some negative outcome.

Eric ELM
04-25-2001, 07:21 AM
Good point, I agree, this needs to be done.

LoneStarLawn
04-25-2001, 08:24 PM
It is a good idea but legally I don't know what they could do in response to whatever they did not working out. What are they going to say that they read it over the internet??? If they are not paying for advice like when you get legal advice I think that all responsiblity is in the person actually doing the job. Just my opinion.

Eric ELM
04-25-2001, 10:05 PM
I don't know the legalities of this either, but it might not hurt for Chuck to check with his lawyer on this. It doesn't hurt to try to cover your a**. ;)

Stonehenge
04-26-2001, 03:50 PM
Here's the thing, though, Lonestar, they don't have to win the lawsuit to make it a big headache. If they hire an attorney and sue, you have to defend yourself. This disclaimer might help prevent that.

And I would think that a forum like this, where we are presenting ourselves as professionals to homeowners (especially the homeowners forum) or other businesses, that there may be an expectation of expertise there.