PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer causing 2 stroke problems?

2k1yzfr1
03-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or experienced their 2 stroke equipment running horribly if it is hauled in an enclosed trailer? I have been having 2 stroke hell for the past couple years and for some reason it is mainly with my Redmax blower/trimmer. Weird thing is they run perfect in cooler temps, but today was 84 and seemed like everything 2 stroke in the trailer was running bad. I know this sounds stupid but is there something about an enclosed trailer that could cause this type of problems?

baddboygeorge
03-10-2006, 08:56 PM
make sure your fuels caps are in good shape an that they are vented an do not hold pressure . sounds to me your units fuel tanks are pressurizing under the heat an when that happens its hard for the carburetor to draw the fuel up , hope that helps george

r.eckley
03-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I have had enclosed trailers for 5or6 yrs. & no problems with starting anything.
REDMAX STHIL ECHO SHINDIWA all in trailer all start good . I think you better check spark plugs and fuel mix.

impactlandscaping
03-10-2006, 09:32 PM
To add to George's post, make sure you have good ventilation in the trailer itself, especially if it's black in color.

ed2hess
03-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or experienced their 2 stroke equipment running horribly if it is hauled in an enclosed trailer? I have been having 2 stroke hell for the past couple years and for some reason it is mainly with my Redmax blower/trimmer. Weird thing is they run perfect in cooler temps, but today was 84 and seemed like everything 2 stroke in the trailer was running bad. I know this sounds stupid but is there something about an enclosed trailer that could cause this type of problems?
We went through starting hell today here in Austin....Echo and Stihl were haveing a hard time. We dumped oil mix and retried but everything started hard when you are mowing back to back yards every 15 minutes. We are going to try a hand held Stihl that we got last year to see if it will start better. Our best starter is a 6 year old Br400 stihl. There is a basic problem here and we are going to take two BR420 Stihls back to dealer...we just got one last week... This bad starting hot is a BIG PROBLEM!!

TURF DOCTOR
03-10-2006, 09:44 PM
We have run box trailers for 10 years with no problems we have roof vents but all i all they don't get that hot,as far as starting problems that sounds typical of hard starting for sthil and echo.:laugh:

ed2hess
03-10-2006, 10:05 PM
We have run box trailers for 10 years with no problems we have roof vents but all i all they don't get that hot,as far as starting problems that sounds typical of hard starting for sthil and echo.:laugh:
So are you aware of some brand that starts good under the conditions I have outlined? Temperature around 90F, start and run 5 minutes, ride in trailer for a few minutes, then stop trailer and mow for 10 minutes then start again? I don't see any technical reason any of the 2 strokes might be different...but I am willing to listen and learn!! And I am only interested in equipment that has over 500 hours on it, not NEW stuff.

TURF DOCTOR
03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Try and run 93 octane in your fuel and stabil for fresh,we did have a few problems last year with hard starting, redmax and shin i took the carbs off and cleaned them seems the fuel we buy now is crap.

Envy Lawn Service
03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Has it been humid/damp/rainy down there in Texas guys?

Sure sounds like a fuel issue to me...

The Captain
03-10-2006, 11:41 PM
As George said about heat pressurizing the fuel the tank and carbs: as you unload the equipment, before trying to start it, loosen the fuel cap to release any pressure build up. May not make any differance at all, but can't hurt to try everything before replacing equip. or parts. May be similar to the problem of vapor lock in the summer.

The Captain

2k1yzfr1
03-11-2006, 12:31 AM
I've tried almost everything I can think of. Swapped fuel caps, gas, places I buy gas, oil, plugs, carb etc......and nothing seems to work. It seems to me that there is excessive pressure build up in the tank, but prior to starting I unscrewed the cap with no change. This afternoon we mowed 3 yards and the blower was running at maybe 40% throttle for the first 2 mins of operation on each yard. After we were done mowing I put the blower in the back of the truck and drove to the house (about 15 mins) got out started it exactly like I always start it and it ran perfect from the second it fired up. My trailer is silver, but I'm guessing it is probably atleast 10 degress warmer in the trailer which today would have put the temp around 93-95. On the echos they have a seperate vent tube that runs from the tank, but the Redmax's are vented through the cap.......could this have anything to do with it? Seems like the only time I have any problem with the redmax trimmer and blower is when the temps are above 80 which is 9 months out of the year. :confused:

Envy it rained night before last pretty good and it is humid year around here.

2k1yzfr1
03-11-2006, 12:37 AM
So are you aware of some brand that starts good under the conditions I have outlined? Temperature around 90F, start and run 5 minutes, ride in trailer for a few minutes, then stop trailer and mow for 10 minutes then start again? I don't see any technical reason any of the 2 strokes might be different...but I am willing to listen and learn!! And I am only interested in equipment that has over 500 hours on it, not NEW stuff.

That is the exact way all our equipment operates the only difference is the 8000 blower probably has 3-5 hours on it and the trimmer maybe 200 hours. Now that I think about it the echos were being a pain in the ass to start today also. Maybe I need to pick up an electric trimmer and a broom. :clapping:

TURF DOCTOR
03-11-2006, 12:48 AM
In the late 90's we tried husqvarna ope we had a heck of a time starting these seems the tank was not vented or the lid, it would fill the piston with fuel,hard starting if you could even pull em we finally drilled the tank and added a vent line this solved the problem only thing you could not turn em in no way fuel would leak out.

Oldtimer
03-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Some things to try:

Purchase only BP (Amoco) silver (89 octane)

If the fuel is >30 days old, burn it in your mowers

Use only high quality, name brand, 50:1 mix oil
or 100:1 such as Optimol or Amsoil

When the trailered equipment finally starts does it appear to have been flooded or does it require a cold start procedure?

When fuel is stored and goes thru heating and cooling cycles it loses it's light ends and and will not vaporize enough to allow an engine to start start easily. The smaller the container, the quicker the fuel loses it's ability to vaporize or loses it's light ends.

Oldtimer

CAG
03-11-2006, 03:04 PM
maybe a stupid ??? but do you choke them every time you start them??? we have never had the problem but we do have to choke them even if its only 2 min between jobs..

Az Gardener
03-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Here in Phx we have a winter blend of gas, I think it has more ethanol in the mix it is better for emissions. Usually in late March they switch back to the regular gas. This is at all the gas stations. Possibly you have a similar thing? Even with that we have enclosed trailers and similar temps with no problems. We run JD,Echo and one Red Max. The high octane gas is a lot better for the 2-cycles you can really notice a difference in the performance.

ed2hess
03-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Some things to try:

Purchase only BP (Amoco) silver (89 octane)

If the fuel is >30 days old, burn it in your mowers

Use only high quality, name brand, 50:1 mix oil
or 100:1 such as Optimol or Amsoil

When the trailered equipment finally starts does it appear to have been flooded or does it require a cold start procedure?
Oldtimer
Like Waco we use high octane gas. We never choke a hot machine but after pulling the cord 6 or 8 times you will try anything. I am wondering if I would shoot cold water on the carb before I try to start if that would help? All the Echo have vents so don't think they have build up. The temp yesterday was 93F. Two new pieces of equipment won't hardly start period and fortunately I could adjust carb and had to take 2 full turns open to get the unit to run. They have these units practically shut down on gas and apparently set to run best at 75F.

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, you know I have said atleast 100 times now that today's stuff is adjusted too lean.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-11-2006, 08:09 PM
We are using enclosed trailers too. One of the workers came in last week complaining that the Stihl FC-75 Edger and the Stihl BR340 Blower were not running very well. He was having to spend too much time to get them to start after he mowed four or five lawns. For the first four or five lawns, they were running ok. It must have something to do with a build up of heat, I am guessing.

So last Saturday, I pulled the carbs off both machines and cleaned them real good with brake cleaner. I also pulled the fuel filters out and blew them out with compressed air.

The above procedure fixed the problem with the blower. But my worker said the edger was still running poorly. I just replaced the coil on it today and I will see if that solves the problem. I have a feeling it is fixed now. I will find out this week if he is still having the same problem or not.

My theory is that with an open trailer, there is a lot of breeze blowing over the coils and that cools them down faster. The enclosed trailer blocks the wind and the coils wear out faster. Just my theory, for what it's worth.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

lasher66
03-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a open trailer and every year when it gets above 85 or 90, it seems all my equipment runs crappier. I have mostly echo 2 stroke equipment and it putters a lot in hot weather. I never tried a higher octane though, so I will give that a try.

Jason