PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Leak

PurpHaze
03-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Here's a couple of pictures I took Wednesday while investigating a leak near one of the dugouts on a baseball field. The leak was coming up from under the block wall edge and although not witnessed by myself was observed by my partner on Tuesday afternoon. The leak stopped when he turned off the backflow and the area was dried up by Wednesday morning when we both went out on the call.

The 2" galvanized pipe in the first picture is an old QCV line and supplies two of our valves near here. We turned the backflow back on and left everything exposed for three hours while we were working on something else at this site, checking frequently to see if any leaking water showed up. It never showed up and so we closed things up as noted in the second picture. We checked on things again yesterday and still no signs of a leak. It's a mystery to us now.

ESprinklers
03-10-2006, 11:48 PM
There's no valves or nothing else in the area? Hey, count your blessings and call it cured! Don't forget the invoice! :clapping:

sheshovel
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Maybe somebody took a pee there or something Purp!Or should I say took a mystery leak!

ESprinklers
03-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Hhhmmm..... hadn't thought of that. Perhaps you can run a Ph test on the Soil.

PurpHaze
03-10-2006, 11:57 PM
You guys are killing me and my stomach isn't the greatest right now from the pain meds. :laugh:

If I disappear real quick then I had to make a run to the toilet to chuck and then off to bed again. :dizzy:

sheshovel
03-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Sorry really I am..just couldent help myself you left yourself wide open for that one!
And it wasent all my fault our new guy ESprink helped me out!

PurpHaze
03-11-2006, 12:30 AM
I know, I know. I wasn't thinking a step ahead of you on this one. It's hard enough when I have all my faculties but I WAS a little handicapped. :hammerhead:

Got your PM on that doctor in Fresno. I've actually heard of him and that he is quite good. Thanks for the info.

sheshovel
03-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Maybe somebody took a pee there or something Purp!Or should I say took a mystery leak!

That is soooo funny I crack myself up sommetimes!

PurpHaze
03-15-2006, 09:04 AM
That is soooo funny I crack myself up sommetimes!

I definitely want some of whatever you're on!!! :laugh:

Was in the area yesterday so stopped and checked again. Still no sign of any leak. :clapping:

PurpHaze
03-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Well... mystery leak is still a mystery. I'm totally baffled on this one... and no Sheshovel there's no "leak" evidence in the sand either. :laugh:

Decided to handle something else today at one of our high schools instead of looking for additional mystery leaks. This site had it's backflow moved next door to the stadium. To get to the backflow's new location you have to unlock two gates and cross a bridge across a creek. In the event of an emergency who knows how many problems would occur before you could get the water shut down. Decided to install an isolation gate valve where the main line came under a sidewalk into the automatic system. Only problem was that apparently a valve had been moved for this sidewalk years ago and a 2" line came from a connection under the sidewalk and then went to the valve. Guess this was easier for whomever rather that cutting in a new main line tee where they wanted to move the valve to. Ended up capping off the 2" feed line on one side and then reconnecting the valve supply past the new gate valve. Pictures included as usual. :)

Picture #1: 3" main line, 2" main to a single valve and 2" lateral line right next to the sidewalk.

Picture #2: Hogie laying down on the job pumping the hole out. (Actually I think he just wanted to look up some skirts if they passed by on the sidewalk.) :laugh:

Picture #3: New isolation gate valve and reconnect made.

Picture #4: Different view of isolation valve and reconnect.

Picture #5: Job completed. New backflow location is beyond the water tower legs in the background right. (Actually, the water tower is in Picture #2)

sheshovel
03-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Well now you can sleep good at night knowing that is done!Good job Purple that's why they use u for the brains out there!

PurpHaze
03-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Well now you can sleep good at night knowing that is done!Good job Purple that's why they use u for the brains out there!

I'm going to have to slop around some primer and glue before taking pictures of the next job. Then you won't know it was me that put it all together. :laugh:

My main partner is off right now with a bad back. He's having an MRI soon and they don't know exactly what is going on. That's why they gave me Hogie to help out and he's a great guy. However, all the put-together had to be done by me and I'm recovering from having my knee scoped last Friday. I almost didn't make it out of the hole one time. :hammerhead:

sheshovel
03-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Is that you or Hogie laying down in the dirt there?
At least it's nice digging right now!More rain today it's like When am I gonna get back to work here?

PurpHaze
03-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Is that you or Hogie laying down in the dirt there?
At least it's nice digging right now!More rain today it's like When am I gonna get back to work here?

That's Hogie. I'm a 6'-6" white guy and he's, well, NOT. :laugh:

And... I'd never lay on the ground to pump a hole out. :)

Lots of rain here today also. I checked my sites and I had great 100% head-to-head coverage. :clapping:

I also checked the mystery leak again with it raining hard. The dugout has an automatic sump pump in it and I wanted to make sure that its outlet line wasn't causing the leak. Still no leak has showed up so I think I'll stop checking for it. Besides, once this rain is over and we get a couple of days of warm weather again I'll probably be told to turn all systems on. When that happens the mystery leak will be long forgotten since it will be BTTW with a never-ending supply of other problems. :dancing: