PDA

View Full Version : How To Overcome The 'we Need To Get Other Bids' Objection

TheHotShotKid
03-10-2006, 11:10 PM
how? anyone figure it out:rolleyes: :dancing: :nono: :walking: :laugh: :sleeping: :dizzy: :headphones: :drinkup: :waving: :cool2:

niteliters
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
hotshot, have found that charging for design consultation and for night time demo if required eliminates some of the sting of that statement. Usually the plot plan drawing to scale we create for each job let's them know there getting something more professional and thought out with us.
chris

TheHotShotKid
03-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Do they really pay for this?

Frog Lights, LLC
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
When they say they want to get other bids or they say they want to think about it, take the following action. First say "is there any further information that I can provide to help you decide now?" Usually the answer is no. The most important thing is the follow up. It could start as a note thanking them for sharing their valuable time with you or just a call to see if they had further questions. It is important to continually try to close the sale by asking for the order. Many contractors do not follow up. Also if they have other bids ask them if you can help them compare since you are sure yours is the best deal. Then if necessary make small changes to secure your sale. It is easy. This also will give you a clear idea of what the other guy is selling and how so next time you can blow him out of the water.

Pro-Scapes
03-16-2006, 03:41 PM
thats good advice Noel I think everyone should follow up with customers no matter which end of the industry your in.

I think what alot of customers look for is your attention to thier needs. If they say they want bids and you just say ok thanks and leave and never call them again but the next guy is nice and also calls or sends a note just to say thanks it might go his way. I wonder if I should have some post cards made up for just this reason. Not only is it a nice way to show one more pic of your work (or capable of) but it lets them know your really there to provide a valuble service to them.

MIKE72K
03-17-2006, 10:14 AM
When they say they want to get other bids or they say they want to think about it, take the following action. First say "is there any further information that I can provide to help you decide now?"

A better way of saying the same thing is ask what part of it do you have to think about. You want to find out if it is the price, the products, or even you. If you don't ask you will never find out what the "IT" is. The more you ask the better your chances are of closing the deal now than the customer going out and shoping your bid and then trying to get you to lower your price.

mike

olderthandirt
03-17-2006, 10:32 AM
A better way of saying the same thing is ask what part of it do you have to think about. You want to find out if it is the price, the products, or even you. If you don't ask you will never find out what the "IT" is. The more you ask the better your chances are of closing the deal now than the customer going out and shoping your bid and then trying to get you to lower your price.

mike

If a contractor ever asked me that the way you just stated it. MY answer would be do I really want some arrogant jerk working on my property. Who are you th ask "what part do you have to think about" :dizzy: :dizzy: The answer to your question is the price or your qualifications, and only one you can change. Change the price then and they will think you tried to rip them off with the bid you just gave them if you start lowering it. Your qualifications should have been obvious from talking to a customer.

MIKE72K
03-17-2006, 11:58 AM
If a contractor ever asked me that the way you just stated it. MY answer would be do I really want some arrogant jerk working on my property. Who are you th ask "what part do you have to think about" :dizzy: :dizzy: The answer to your question is the price or your qualifications, and only one you can change. Change the price then and they will think you tried to rip them off with the bid you just gave them if you start lowering it. Your qualifications should have been obvious from talking to a customer.

It isn't always price that people have to think about. That is the biggest mistake people make in thinking that it is always price. I agree that you don't want to cut your price. This will loose you creditability for sure. I believe you have to set your price and stand behide it. But if you don't ask questions then how are you going to find out what they are thinking? If you just wait for them to go get another quote, and the other company presents their pitch better and asks more money, and they get the job is it really about price.

mike

Pro-Scapes
03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I like noels aproach better. Just provide em with more info to show yours really is a better deal. Now if you got competition in your area offering the same service you better have some great reasons if your a higher price.

Reputaion, Service after the sale. Better design skills "free" extras such as quality photos of the outside of thier home lit up. I just networked with a photography student near me who is willing to do the photo shoots for next to nothing of my properties. She does really nice work too. Set yourself apart. There is ways to find out what they are thinking without being so blunt about it. I would try:

"Is there an area I can provide you with more info on that would help your decision" if no then just leave em at "ok I thank you for your time and if you have any questions please dont hessitate to call me" then follow up bit later witha nice thank you post card (one more pic on the card to show what you can do for them!) and if it doesnt go through from there thats business. The last thing I wanna be known for is high pressure tatics and being bluntly rude. It may work in your area but not in mine

MIKE72K
03-17-2006, 12:16 PM
The last thing you want to do is come off as being pushy or high pressure. My biggest suggestion simply is to ask questions to find out what the customers objections are. Most people are afraid of comming off as pushy and so they don't ask or are afraid to ask.

mike

nobagger
03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
People are more price conscious now it seems more then ever. So it may very well be the price. Do you go car shopping without checking a few other places first? I personally believe you have to sell your self and company better than anyone else. I go over every detail from when we would start to the completion, explaining everything! Some of my estimates have lasted well over an hour if not two. IMO like I said before I think its selling your self and your company that matters more than a few bucks difference. This season I had to give an estimate for simple lawn care. I got there just after another lawn care company so I waited for him to leave (talk about awkward) but I only waited less than 10 minutes:dizzy: even the customer thought it was a half a$$ed estimate on his behalf. I was there for roughly 20-30 minutes explaining how and why we do what we do. Out of 3 other estimates she said we were the most professional company she ever delt with, guess who got the contract,:waving: all just by taking my time and explaining things to her. She now trusts us with pricing on everything from the 2k worth of plantings we are going to do to the price on spring clean up job we landed. So in short it pays to do things right.:clapping:

MIKE72K
03-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't for get to know your competition. NEVER BAD MOUTH THEM to your customer, but know what you are up against. Don't be afraid to talk to your customer about the differences between you and the competition. Also rebember when you go to the movies you pay for the show before you see it. If it sucks your out. The customer will pay for your show after they see it. So have fun.

mike

Pro-Scapes
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
good points.

I dont trash my competition I try and point out my strong points such as my attention to the details and the fact im not worried about being 5 minutes over on my schedual and miss something. Every property we service I walk the property after its done.