PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Powerstroke

newblade
03-11-2006, 02:43 AM
What is the easiest way to squeeze out more hp and better mpg from this 2000 powerstoke? It is an auto 3.73 gears and crew cab 4x4. Anyone drive one of these? what kind of mpg do you get? Any common problems?:weightlifter:

NewImageLawn&Landscape
03-11-2006, 03:43 AM
I have a 00 PSD with 150,000. Only problem I have had is a bad cam sensor. These trucks are notorious for them. Most of the time you are going to sacrifice hp for gas mileage or the opposite. Try getting a performance filter&intake tube combo, like an AFE, in conjuction with a 4" TURBO back exhaust. As far as the exhaust goes, each brand has a different sound to it. I prefer either MBRP or Banks. This will run you about a 1k. You could just get a tuner, but most tuners work better with the combo I just mentioned. As far as the tuners go I would stay away from Edge and Bully Dog. I have heard some bad stuff about both. With a tuner, you are going to sacrifice the gas mileage because of the higher amount of fuel you are dumping into the engine. Some good sites about diesels are www.thedieselstop.com or go to www.fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com. Good luck, once you start the mods its hard to stop.:dizzy:

stroker51
03-11-2006, 08:34 PM
New Image, I have to disagree with what you say about the edge as far as problems and performance add-ons in general as far as fuel mileage. I have the edge evolution on my 96 Powerstroke, I have cut out the cat and muffler, in the process of getting a Tymar intake and 3.5" downpipe to 4" exhaust. Anyway, never had a problem with the edge, a lot of guys around here have them, our local Performance diesel shop says it is a better value than superchips tuner. The easier it is for the motor to make power, the less fuel it will use. When I bought my truck a year ago, the absolute BEST fuel mileage I could get was about 18 mpg interstate driving. It's a 96 5speed w/ 4:10 gears, 4x4 extended cab. Since I have been using the edge, I have gotten near 22 mpg on the highway. I also use a fuel additive called Freedom Fuel Treatment. Anyway, in town, where it counts doing our jobs, went from 13.5-14 pulling to 15.5-16. Just my .02, I would highly recommend the edge, I think i am gonna sell mine in favor of a multi position chip, the guys on diesel stop do a good job of making me spend money! Power is addicting:weightlifter:

efaubert1
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
The most PROVEN tuner for a PSD of your year is Superchips 1705 model. $3-400 depending on how thrifty a shopper you are. Cheapest prices new are over the phone from www.troyerperformance.com . The ad price will be decimated if you call and order, but they can't legally advertise the price they will sell it to you for.

lawnmaniac883
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Buyer beware here, upgraded power levels will eventually grenade your tranny...

bnorton
03-14-2006, 11:05 PM
I have a 00 Powerstroke with the 6-speed tranny. Installed a K&N filter, straight pipe, and a 4-bank Bully Dog Chip. Gained about 2 to 3 mpg with all the addons, average about 11-14 empty or towing. The only problem I have had with the Bully Dog Chip is that static-electric fried the computer according to the ford dealership. Other than that I love the chip, love the power.

Travel'n Trees
03-15-2006, 02:50 AM
I have a down pipe for sale for one, what are the common problems??? L ook upthe TSD's ( the service bulletins ) these PSD's are some of the most prblem plauged vehichles in exsistance today next to the 2003!! Don't drive at 55 mph with overdrive off your exhaust gas tempature is to highwill burn up turbo, get a egt gauge, My 550 crew sees around 8.5 mpg. There are alot better ways to increase mileage andpower such as a cummins or duramax. I talked to computer shop and ford uses the cheapest computer boxes on the market, FORD was trying to get out of covering it under warranty, I would think about a attorney, Also cam sensors, fuel filters, and computers are not common things you should be asked to haul around with you while you drive, sorry FORD. Ford has to cut a lot of corners to keep price down to keep sales up. So warranties are a easy cop out, to cheap products.