PDA

View Full Version : Concrete driveway fix

NEUSWEDE
03-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Thought this was the best section for this.

I have a customer that has a concrete driveway, well part of it settled under the concrete to break up and fall apart. It needs to be fixed it is in the main part of the driveway. I am not really sure who to call to fix this, so I was curious how I would go about putting concrete in and leveling it. I am going to cut it square and bring in more base and pack that.
My question is do I make a form or just pour right in the area and then just smooth.

A concrete place is literally right down the street so getting someone to bring it there wouldn't be a problem. I am waiting till like may when the ground is thawed and things are dryer. Just figured I would see if anyone has any input.

Sorry for being long, I will post pictures later.

kris
03-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I was just going to suggest mudjacking if it has just settled...sounds like a waste of time .... tear it out and put in pavers.:)

NEUSWEDE
03-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I was just going to suggest mudjacking if it has just settled...sounds like a waste of time .... tear it out and put in pavers.:)

I suggested, cutting a line all the way across and dropping cobble stones or pavers in but since it is in a community, they have restrictions and have to keep the concrete driveways.

They have rugosa rose everywhere too that can't be removed because of community restrictions.

DJ Contracting
03-11-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't know how the concrete Co are over there but here if you only need a little say under a yard you get charged for three min. no matter how close you are, anyway if the rest of the driveway is in good shape make your two saw cuts across the driveway, bring in the sand you need and pack it, use expansion joint between the new and old cement and pour the section. Find out what caused the old concrete to fall and fix it.

NEUSWEDE
03-11-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't know how the concrete Co are over there but here if you only need a little say under a yard you get charged for three min. no matter how close you are, anyway if the rest of the driveway is in good shape make your two saw cuts across the driveway, bring in the sand you need and pack it, use expansion joint between the new and old cement and pour the section. Find out what caused the old concrete to fall and fix it.

By expansion joint you just mean like that foam type stuff right?

The reason is the base sunk. The area was built up, the contractor did an aweful job. To put into perspective, the house next door was built on the corner of the development that was built up and from settling the corner of the house sunk ruining a 1/2 million dollar house. The whole inside is on a slant and becuase of the position of the house you can't move or lift the house to fix the problem!
So I am going to add base and pack.
Thanks