PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation License

docslandscaping
03-11-2006, 06:04 PM
What is the best route for obtaining your irrigation license? Is a hands on class or internet the best option?

Thanks,:confused:

Az Gardener
03-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Sore subject for me. I will be interested in other's responses. When I took the test I had been in the business for about 15 years I went to a contractor school to pass the business part of the test they suggested I also take their field prep class. I said listen, I am ACLP certified, ISA certified, and I teach classes for these municipalities, I think I can pass the field portion. WRONG, its a scam, at least here it is. You have to know what the authors of a book written in 1973 say is the correct method for doing whatever, I was so mad it still makes me mad. Any one who takes the prep classes can pass the test. I think it is just a crock. So if you want to get your license take a contractors prep class 3-500 bucks read all the answers on the computer memorize them and pass the test.

Dirty Water
03-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Sore subject for me. I will be interested in other's responses. When I took the test I had been in the business for about 15 years I went to a contractor school to pass the business part of the test they suggested I also take their field prep class. I said listen, I am ACLP certified, ISA certified, and I teach classes for these municipalities, I think I can pass the field portion. WRONG, its a scam, at least here it is. You have to know what the authors of a book written in 1973 say is the correct method for doing whatever, I was so mad it still makes me mad. Any one who takes the prep classes can pass the test. I think it is just a crock. So if you want to get your license take a contractors prep class 3-500 bucks read all the answers on the computer memorize them and pass the test.

I agree with you that everyone has different field experience and techniques, buy you are also the guy who drills a hole in his valvebox and runs pipe through the middle of it.

Perhaps the methods you had been using for years were incorrect?

I'm not trying to come across as an ass, sorry if I did.

jerryrwm
03-11-2006, 07:34 PM
In Texas you will need to go through a 32 hr. prep course. Talk to Dave McCullough. I believe he works for AMC suplly house. He lives in Friendswood and is a TCEQ certified instructor. Then you will be able to schedule an exam date.

As for the Az. test it is more of a contractor's license instead of an irrigation test. It requires different areas of study. But the key to passing any kind of state exam is to forget everything you have learned over the years, pay attention in the prep course, and use that knowledge to pass the exam.

Back several years ago when I was teaching the irrigation class I had a contractor from Mesa, Az take my class. He continually told me, "that's not the way we did it in Az." My response to him was, " and some of this stuff is not the way everyone does it in Texas either. But if you want to pass this test, you better listen to my lessons, because I'll guarantee that you won't pass doing it your way." Well after he failed the exam, he came to the next class I was holding and said he was ready to listen. And he passed it on the next try.

They don't have any kind of licensing here in Wisconsin, and apparently not much for backflow codes. They are still using AVBs and a MV with a wild head. And I'm thinking many are plugging that wild head after final inspection. Gonna be an interesting spring season for me.

Jerry

BossCo
03-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Jerry, what areas in Wisconsin do you work? I do some directional boring for a local sprinkler co. in Kenosha.

docslandscaping
03-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Jerry,

Thanks for the help, I will take your advice and run with it. I am interested in obtaining the license due to several customers who experience problems with systems that have no warranty.

ESprinklers
03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Docslandscaping....

Since your located in Texas I would suggest giving W.E.T.S. (Water Education Training Services), they are located in Texas and do training classes all over the state of Texas. Geoffery is the guy I have dealt with in the past, but just can't remember his last name. Very informative class and his students have a high pass rate on the test. The state average is a 48% pass ratio. Not very good. I remember when I took my exam, over half the class that was there testing were there for re-takes.

Good luck on the exam....

docslandscaping
03-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks, very informative. I will do my best not to be part of that 48%. Do you know the normal costs of the tuition.

Let me know,

Doc

hect911
03-11-2006, 10:39 PM
I attended the Basic Irrigation course in New Braunfels with Multiservices Unlimited. It cost me 450.00 plus hotel, meals and lots of entertainment (Hey, I was single again for a whole week):drinkup:

The fee for the test was 70.00 plus 100.00 for the license.

and forty hours vacation time from my full time job (that was the most expensive).

ESprinklers
03-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, it seems like the W.E.T.S. course was somewhere around $400.00 for the 40 hour course. Deffinately worth the money though. Scored a 94 on the hydrolics portion of the test which is supposed to be the hardest section.

jerryrwm
03-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Jerry, what areas in Wisconsin do you work? I do some directional boring for a local sprinkler co. in Kenosha.

Greater Milwaukee, some over in Madison, and Appleton. Not sure if we get down to Racine/Kenosha. Depends on where the salesmen have been hanging out I guess. I'm still new here at the company and am learning more about the territory every day.

General Landscaping
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
At least you can do it all yourself....

My county requires experience with another liscensed company for 2? years and experience in a forman position before you can even take the test.

It sucks when I can't even add/modify a zone to an existing system after installing a new landscape feature:realmad:

hect911
03-12-2006, 11:47 AM
By the way, I did pass the test the first time.:cool2: