PDA

View Full Version : my first ztr is a 225 grasshopper

befnme
03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
i bought a 225 grasshopper 60" ztr last week and i have been trying to get used to one . but i have a question for z owners ; when i get into high grass/weeds . like the ones that havent been mowed all winter .any way when i get into this stuff my blades seem as though they are slipping and just stop spinning until i either back up or get into smaller growth .is that normal ? is something bad or loose ? i have a scag and it would choke down in tall grass before the blades would slip . i am a little puzzled .

Mowingman
03-11-2006, 07:47 PM
you are probably trying to run too fast through the tough stuff. you need to slow down and let the blades do there work in overgrown conditions. If you continue to slip the belt, it will be ruined before you know it. We had a customer destroy his PTO belt in 3 hours last year. He had never been on a ZTR, before he bought a 227/61" Grasshopper from us. He was trying to mow a very thickly overgrown field, and thought he could do so at almost full ground speed. We gave him a new belt, and told him to slow down. no trouble after that.
your machine has belt tensioners that should be correctly adjusted from the factory. The belts will slip, rather than the machine stalling out, if you crowd it too hard. you may want to check that the belts are indeed adjusted correctly.

befnme
03-11-2006, 07:49 PM
you are probably trying to run too fast through the tough stuff. you need to slow down and let the blades do there work in overgrown conditions. If you continue to slip the belt, it will be ruined before you know it. We had a customer destroy his PTO belt in 3 hours last year. He had never been on a ZTR, before he bought a 227/61" Grasshopper from us. He was trying to mow a very thickly overgrown field, and thought he could do so at almost full ground speed. We gave him a new belt, and told him to slow down. no trouble after that.
your machine has belt tensioners that should be correctly adjusted from the factory. The belts will slip, rather than the machine stalling out, if you crowd it too hard. you may want to check that the belts are indeed adjusted correctly.

thank you for the help..are they supposed to be very tight or a little sloppy .

Mowingman
03-11-2006, 08:00 PM
The deck belt should be snug, but not really tight. The PTO belt under the mower is actually look pretty "loose".

Mowingman
03-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Something else to think about. you did not say if the machine is new, or used. If used, the belts could be worn, depending on the hours, thus causing excessive slippage.
You have a great mowing machine there. Good luck with it. Any questions, just ask. While I am aGrasshopper dealer, I also run 2 of the 225 machines in my mowing business.

befnme
03-11-2006, 08:26 PM
it is used with 742 hours .the gentleman that traded it in where i bought it had it serviced there regularly . but the belts could be worn . if i am going along and turn to my discharge side and the grass is say 4 to 6 inches high the blades will slow down and stop until i start to go strait and it gets a chance to blow the material away .

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a worn or loose or mis-routed belt to me... or a messed up tension idler.
The blades shouldn't slow or stop without bogging the engine.

Congrats on the mower by the way.

befnme
03-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Sounds like a worn or loose or mis-routed belt to me.

Congrats on the mower by the way.

i will look in to it ,thanks envy.....

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 08:40 PM
You caught me on the edit there.

Pop that rear cover off and check everything from there forward.

Mowingman
03-11-2006, 09:34 PM
With those hours, you really could have a worn belt, or a tensioner not doing it's job. It should not slip, or stop the blades under those conditions you describe.

befnme
03-12-2006, 02:04 AM
thanks for the info i will check it out on sunday....:waving:

befnme
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
bump.........anymore suggestions ?

Z400ACDC
03-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I just bought a 03, 225 yesterday:) I was trying to mow my 5 acre yard with a 42'' Dixon for the last year. It took me a HARD 5 hours. It has 1100 hours on it but runs great. I tested it out in a field with tall grass with no belt slip.

MMLawn
03-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I thought by what you were saying that you were talking about really tall grass, 2 to 3 Feet not 4-6 inches, so yes something is wrong as that small height of grass should cause you the problems you have stated. I don't know much about GH's and probably never will, but it does sound maybe like worn belts and/or tension issue(s).

befnme
03-12-2006, 04:23 PM
i think it is worn belts..i just took the rear cover off and i saw that the belt was twisted on the pully and it is pretty slack so it looks like a stretched belt .

befnme
03-12-2006, 04:28 PM
by the way guys .i took the pulley cover on the discharge side off and saw a pulley with a belt on bottom but no belt on the top .and no other pulley of that height under the deck .is that for a power bagger or vacuum or something ?

Bulldog26
03-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I just bought this same machine this winter. I don't know about that pully but my tank has that same type double pully with nothing on it. I"m guessing it is for the bagger. Have you check into the cost of those belts..... yuck. I just order a new set. Two belts about $65-$70 a each. Good luck with the new machine, I look forward to putting mine to good use once the grass starts growing here.
bt

Luvs2Play
03-12-2006, 09:42 PM
by the way guys .i took the pulley cover on the discharge side off and saw a pulley with a belt on bottom but no belt on the top .and no other pulley of that height under the deck .is that for a power bagger or vacuum or something ?

That's where the blower drives from.

ftgulal
03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I had a woods mower that is basically just like the grasshopper, Mine would do the same thing yours is. I replace the belts, pullies, tensioners, everything, and it ended up being the electric clutch. Replaced that and had a night and day difference. That machine only had just under 600 hours when that happened.

befnme
03-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I had a woods mower that is basically just like the grasshopper, Mine would do the same thing yours is. I replace the belts, pullies, tensioners, everything, and it ended up being the electric clutch. Replaced that and had a night and day difference. That machine only had just under 600 hours when that happened.
thanks for the info . i am taking it back to the dealer today .he told me they went over it and all was ok. but i think they need to go over it again.

Bulldog26
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
James,
What happened???? Was it a belt?

befnme
03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
James,
What happened???? Was it a belt?

yes the belt was stretched way out .new belt and all is great.....:)

Bulldog26
03-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Good to hear. How about the price of those belts... ugggg