PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Mowing Speed

liquidforcedude7
03-11-2006, 08:26 PM
As spring is coming again and im dreaming of ZTRs and one thing im noticing is the difference in speed, Ive seen everything from 7 to 15 mph.... but I was wondering what actual mowing speed is most realistic...but also im trying to compare this to my tractor which is between a fast walk and an easy jog (haha) any ideas on how many mph that might be?.?.? lol

lawnmaniac883
03-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I usually will cut a lawn at 1/4 to 1/2 speed which is about 3-5mph. Maybe up to 3/4 or full on larger properties where quality of cut isnt as important as it being cut. Realistically, you will never mow a lawn at 15 mph, sorry it just wont happen. This is the transport speed of the mower; i.e. the speed it will go for you to get back to the trailer, etc. Dont be fooled by the hype about getting done faster if you can go 15 mph because you will not.

jtkplc
03-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I mow softball diamonds at 13 MPH. The only reason I can do this is because I cut them twice a week so I'm not cutting off nearly as much grass on each cut.

All other lawns I probably don't go above 6 MPH and probably average 4 or 5 MPH.

dcondon
03-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Out of over 150 accounts we only have 2 lawns that we can go full bore on. Thats around 10 mph. It all depends on what your accounts are like.:waving:

TURF DOCTOR
03-11-2006, 10:47 PM
We never run at full speed for the ride and the quality of the cut.

ToroLandscaper
03-12-2006, 03:37 AM
I Believe the most ideal speed is 10mph becouse most the time i dont hit that on residential but when i do large home i for sure do...15mph would be nice sometimes for traveling speeds when the blades are off!

Richard Martin
03-12-2006, 06:38 AM
It all depends on conditions.... How fast is the grass growing? How often is it cut? What kind of grass or weeds is it? How much grass are you cutting off? How rough is the terrain? How big is the yard? Is the grass wet? Deck design? Blade speed?

I do have a couple of lawns where I can hit 15 mph, mowing, in the Spring and Fall. Most of the time though it is at a more liveable 6, 7 and 8 MPH.

Oh, and your tractor is probably rocketing along at 5 MPH or so.

westwind
03-12-2006, 09:45 AM
You can only cut as fast as the grass allows. Don't sacrifice quality for speed. Efficiency does not mean "going fast."

zim bob the landscaper
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
i think 15MPH is way to much i think the most u should go is 10 MPH. JMO

TLS
03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
You cut with conditions. If it allows 15mph, I'd cut at that.

I top out my LC Lazer at 10mph on several lawns.

LwnmwrMan22
03-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I too mow as fast as the grass is getting cut / dispersed to my liking.

Most of my stuff I run about 3/4 of full speed, however at the schools / parks we mow, it's bend the handles to the feet fast.....

puppypaws
03-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I mow about 15 acres a week of my own farm and I have a lot of places that I can mow at full speed which they say is 15 mph on the Hustler Super Z. I have a new one with the flex forks and from what I have seen so far there are some other parts I can now mow wide open that before was just a little bit to rough at full speed. The new XR-7 deck is designed to cut very well at full speed, and from what I have seen so far it does.

Travis Followell
03-18-2006, 07:12 PM
We usually mow a 1/2 to 3/4 speed. Our areas we mow are rough and most of the time pretty tall. When mowing at full speed its harder to keep the machine tracking straight in my opinion so we rarely ever do.

specialtylc
03-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I do alot of large properties using a Kubota ZD. Max speed of this mower is 9.5 MPH. I can run anywhere from half to full speed , it all depends on how rough the turf is and how tall and thick the grass is. You wont be cutting at 10 mph with any mower with a mulching deck. As far as 15mph goes, I think those conditions would be pretty rare.

LLandscaping
03-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Our ZTRs go 10mph, we usually go about 1/2 to 3/4 of the full speed on most accounts. We have one property that we can go full speed because it is mostly flat, wide open and the only obstacle is two concrete drains.

mike lane lawn care
03-19-2006, 12:09 AM
I mow at about 4.5 MPH, i could do faster, but this is my comfort level

qball98
03-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Liked the others said it all depends on what conditions you are mowing in weeds and rough ground equals slower speeds. I will add one thing not mentioned before and that is the style of mower you have. I can mow the same places at a faster speed with my Grasshopper front mount than I can with the Exmark mid-mount. The front-mount just rides better over rough ground than the mid-mount but I still am not able to mow at full speed usually end up at about 3/4 speed. The downside is that it is a lot longer so it is harder to maneuver on the smaller places that is why I have both.