PDA

View Full Version : importance of stripes

GrassFearsMe
03-11-2006, 08:26 PM
i get a kick out of the thought people put into the stripes their mowers leave. buying extra parts for their mowers and whatnot. i have tested the theory that a lawn with perfect stripes pleases the customer on quite nice properties, and frankly they dont really care. i have done figure 8's and circles on lawns and i did that whole mind mezmorizing box. As hard as i used to try to make straight lines in the lawns, curved lines is what i usually end up with cuz the speed is more important to me, its not that important. anyways thats just what i think.:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

geogunn
03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
As hard as i used to try to make straight lines in the lawns, curved lines is what i usually end up....

then I guess it is a great thing that your customers don't give a whitt what their lawns look like when you are done........

GEO :laugh:

extoro
03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I really don't like a striped yard. I'd rather my yard have a smooth carpet look. Different strokes, different folks

liquidforcedude7
03-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Mine couldn't care less about stripes or anything as long as it is shorter when im done than when I started....

Lawn Masters
03-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Mine couldn't care less about stripes or anything as long as it is shorter when im done than when I started....
yup, thats what I've seen myself.

tcls83
03-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I disagree. Striping distributes the clippings better, and in my opinion, is easier to mow. If you do it for a while, and get to know your machine, the lines will become laser sharp. I personally like the satisfaction of leaving a nicely striped yard. I am not just in it for the money, neither. In my opinion, people do notice. But not enough to tell you "Wow!! I like how you do those lines!!!". Most people are happy, but just don't say anything. And I don't expect them to say anything.

tcls83
03-11-2006, 09:02 PM
And how could you not notice the striping on the field during a ballgame.

liquidforcedude7
03-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Im not saying I dont stripe. I myself like how they look and I try do them as long as im not super cramped for time, But unless the grass is pretty good and will show them decently I dont waste my time....

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Customers do notice.
Some like it, some don't, and some are puzzled by them.

In any event, it does take a lot more time and effort though.
No question about that at all.

Imow4u2
03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Not a whole lot of extra time for me, It's actually second nature.. If it's an account of mine you will know it long after the truck and trailer are gone!!!

lawnrangeralaska
03-11-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't think it takes any longer to stripe a yard then to mow it your way.

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
You consume more time with it than you think...

Turning, lining up for stripes, working the patterns around obstacles, ect...

But I still like it and stripe them all for the most part.
But I also realize the extra time it takes.

dtelawncare
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Imow4u2, that is what approach I try to take. I understand $$$ is wht we are all in this for, but if you don't enjoy leaving a good looking lawn you will not be giving a top quality job. I am in the south so most folks have that bermuda, crabgrass, ect, ect,ect growing all over. Not much chance to stripe and most could care less. I hope I am able to find a few customers that have stripable lawns.

Just my 2 cents

topsites
03-11-2006, 10:11 PM
then I guess it is a great thing that your customers don't give a whitt what their lawns look like when you are done........

GEO :laugh:

No because most don't really give a schitt, it's all in your minds is what the guy's trying to tell you, and I hate to say it but he is right.

I stripe maybe a half dozen lawns a year, am glad to have a permanent chainkit on one mower but wish to this day I had not WASTED 300 dollars on that Checkmate roller <- Striping is a waste of time and money, mostly yours (or in this case, ours).

Matter of fact, I had never heard of striping until I came here. I tried it, and I even asked customers flat out. About the most positive response I got were customers who faked being pleased, my guess would be since I was so excited they must've thought they better act as if they liked it, else I might get my feelings hurt. Did they hurt my feelings? Hell no, I'm kinda surprised some didn't laugh, but I give them due credit that they didn't and I'm glad my customers are honest :)

topsites
03-11-2006, 10:19 PM
And how could you not notice the striping on the field during a ballgame.

I never noticed that crap until after I started reading this forum. NO KIDDING.
And I bet most people are watching the game, not the stripes.
Nobody gives that stuff a second thought, and I mean nobody.

jtkplc
03-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I do the striping more for my own satisfaction. I really don't think most of my customers care. Most are more concerned with having everything being trimmed to perfection and have the grass looking great.

I've never mowed any other way to know time difference. In fact, I don't know how I would mow if I didn't go down and back across a yard to complete my stripes. When you guys don't stripe, how do you mow a yard, just go around the perimeter until you reach the middle or what?

jtkplc
03-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I never noticed that crap until after I started reading this forum. NO KIDDING.
And I bet most people are watching the game, not the stripes.
Nobody gives that stuff a second thought, and I mean nobody.

Yeah, I never used to notice them either. What is fun is to start telling your friends and family about the stripes and then have them come back to you saying how they noticed the stripes. I always get a kick out of that.:dancing:

deereman
03-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Striping is one of the most effecient ways to mowing a lawn! It is generally the fastest way. That is our main reason why we do leave stripes.not for the looks per say!

6'7 330
03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
It is almost impossible NOT to stripe northern cool season grasses. There is nothing mystic about striping, a mower with the deck pitched right and good healthy turf will turn the trick. As an example, the mower operator takes the mower makes a straight pass with the mower going north, pass completed, he then turns the mower and makes a straight pass south.

The mower that laid down the stripes in the picture had no striping device or roller.

liquidforcedude7
03-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I Ive decided I like stripes on bigger commercial accounts but seeing how bold and deep some of these are I think they look like, out of place and very unnatural (for lack of a term). mine you can really only notice if your looking at the grass or it happens to catch the light right, there not like magnets for you eyes like 6 7 330's. no offence. just personal prefrence.

dcondon
03-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't think it takes any longer to lay down nice stripes then it does to circle jurk around. All you have to do is think ahead and know where you want to go.YES, people do notice the difference when they have a nice striped lawn. That can bring a lot of business in this area!!:cool2:

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Striping is one of the most effecient ways to mowing a lawn! It is generally the fastest way. That is our main reason why we do leave stripes.not for the looks per say!

Bull... time it sometime...

I'm not saying don't do it. It looks great and I waste time on it too.
But it's not faster.

Idealtim
03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I think its easier deffinately to do this with a walk behind not haveing to deal with tearing the turf at the end of a stripe.

nmez21
03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I do the striping more for my own satisfaction. I really don't think most of my customers care. Most are more concerned with having everything being trimmed to perfection and have the grass looking great.

I've never mowed any other way to know time difference. In fact, I don't know how I would mow if I didn't go down and back across a yard to complete my stripes. When you guys don't stripe, how do you mow a yard, just go around the perimeter until you reach the middle or what?

i see it the same way.

6'7 330
03-11-2006, 10:49 PM
I Ive decided I like stripes on bigger commercial accounts but seeing how bold and deep some of these are I think they look like, out of place and very unnatural (for lack of a term). mine you can really only notice if your looking at the grass or it happens to catch the light right, there not like magnets for you eyes like 6 7 330's. no offence. just personal prefrence.

No offense,liquidforce,the turf I deal with renders our guys no choice in the matter ,we keep all our clients both large and small,residential commercial, on a healthy turf program, and the bluegrass just does it own striping thing lol.

Richard Martin
03-12-2006, 07:04 AM
I have landed several high profile accounts because of the nice, straight stripes I can lay down. It's that Word Of Mouth thing you know. And yes, I have "wasted" a bunch of money on rollers from www.bigleaguelawns.com. Our transition zone grass doesn't stripe that well and I need every advantage I can get to do it.

rodfather
03-12-2006, 07:42 AM
In 12 full time years of mowing, I have never heard one comment about stripes (good or bad) from a customer. Don't get me wrong...I think a finely striped lawn looks nice as well. My point is 99.99% of our customers could care less. All they want (as already mentioned) is it to be cut cleanly and be left neat in appearance.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 07:59 AM
i get a kick out of the thought people put into the stripes their mowers leave. buying extra parts for their mowers and whatnot. i have tested the theory that a lawn with perfect stripes pleases the customer on quite nice properties, and frankly they dont really care. i have done figure 8's and circles on lawns and i did that whole mind mezmorizing box. As hard as i used to try to make straight lines in the lawns, curved lines is what i usually end up with cuz the speed is more important to me, its not that important. anyways thats just what i think.:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

We could use more just like you here:clapping: I wouldn't have time to sip my ice tea:waving:

Flex-Deck
03-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I disagree. Striping distributes the clippings better, and in my opinion, is easier to mow. If you do it for a while, and get to know your machine, the lines will become laser sharp. I personally like the satisfaction of leaving a nicely striped yard. I am not just in it for the money, neither. In my opinion, people do notice. But not enough to tell you "Wow!! I like how you do those lines!!!". Most people are happy, but just don't say anything. And I don't expect them to say anything.

How can you say that?? Is it not true that most serious striping is done by choosing two patterns, then repeating them alternately all summer --- All that does is distrubute clippings in the same two places every time, and the Wheel ruts just get deeper by the month. I can not imagine the compaction that must exist in the wheel tracs of a same pattern striped yard.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=Flex-Deck]How can you say that?? Is it not true that most serious striping is done by choosing two patterns, then repeating them alternately all summer --- QUOTE]

This is a very incorrect statement. And again by someone who does not stripe in there area.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 08:16 AM
In 12 full time years of mowing, I have never heard one comment about stripes (good or bad) from a customer. Don't get me wrong...I think a finely striped lawn looks nice as well. My point is 99.99% of our customers could care less. All they want (as already mentioned) is it to be cut cleanly and be left neat in appearance.

Mr Rodfather

Next time have your people just cut in any direction, see what is said.

Flex-Deck
03-12-2006, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=Flex-Deck]How can you say that?? Is it not true that most serious striping is done by choosing two patterns, then repeating them alternately all summer --- QUOTE]

This is a very incorrect statement. And again by someone who does not stripe in there area.

First of all it is more of a question than statement, but would certainly entertain any clarification and or information pertaining to the two pattern striped yards I see pics of once in a while.

ripple
03-12-2006, 09:21 AM
You consume more time with it than you think...

Turning, lining up for stripes, working the patterns around obstacles, ect...

But I still like it and stripe them all for the most part.
But I also realize the extra time it takes.
I have not done alot of striping. How do you stripe small properties or big lawns with alot of obstacles ie; trees, mulch beds etc...

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=John Gamba]

First of all it is more of a question than statement, but would certainly entertain any clarification and or information pertaining to the two pattern striped yards I see pics of once in a while.

You always use a different direction every week. In a picture its that weeks pattern.

If someone does only one pattern, its usually a home owner or newbie

geogunn
03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I stripe maybe a half dozen lawns a year, am glad to have a permanent chainkit on one mower but wish to this day I had not WASTED 300 dollars on that Checkmate roller <- Striping is a waste of time and money, mostly yours (or in this case, ours).

topsites--dude, I feel your pain. I'd feel like a big dumbass too if I knew striping wasn't important and I paid $300 skins for a roller to do it.

GEO :waving:

Duck Dodger
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
I can't beleive this a real thread. How could you not stripe a lawn? We have always called mowing in circles redneck mowing. Every customer I have has told me how nice there stripes look. You guys keep cutting the way you are and when you customers see my lawns I'll be taking them from you. Tons of people notice stripes in ballfields why else would they make logos and all the other cool stuff they do.

westwind
03-12-2006, 09:48 AM
50/50 up here. Meaning, half of our customers don't care and half really like the look of a striped lawn.

davidcalhoun
03-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Have you even seen a yard mowed when the deck was not level due to a low tire or a deck that was not set level? Admit it, we even had some yahoos working for us that never noticed that a tire was going flat during the whole yard.

If you mow in a circular pattern, this defect will really show up - even to the untrained eye.

lawn_pro
03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
striping just looks better, I guess we just take pride in what we do...customers do notice a nice straight line, you can tell yourself they don't notice as you are flying around the lawn tearing up turf, blowing clippings all over the flower beds and leaving clumps of grass laying around-you think you are making money so who cares...right...we love to mow next to lco's with that mentality

impactlandscaping
03-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Dave Mellor is rolling over in his grave, and the friggin' guy isn't even dead yet! For those of you who don't know who Mr. Mellor is,keep mowing your usual ways, your competition will love you for it.:waving:

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 10:18 AM
topsites--dude, I feel your pain. I'd feel like a big dumbass too if I knew striping wasn't important and I paid $300 skins for a roller to do it.

GEO :waving:

The great thing is, We are making that 300$ a cut lawn look like a Million $. It pays for itself(for me anyways) the first lawn.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I can't beleive this a real thread. How could you not stripe a lawn? We have always called mowing in circles redneck mowing. .

You just made my day:clapping: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We do too:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DESTEFANO3782
03-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Stripes Are What Make The Lawn. Thats All There Is To It

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Stripes Are What Make The Lawn. Thats All There Is To It

Yeah!! what he said:hammerhead:

mulcahy mowing
03-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah!! what he said:hammerhead:
I second that motion:walking:

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I second that motion:walking:

I'm sorta under the weather today:cry: This is kinda fun:laugh:

Buckeye1
03-12-2006, 11:00 AM
To those who "don't" stripe my question is how do you not leave some sort of stripe or streak even without a roller?? If you are cutting northern grass (and maybe this is where the confusion is) how do you not leave some sort of stripe from the tires? Unless you are cutting below 2" you will leave tracks and streaks. The roller just defines the stripe, takes the streaking look out of it, fills in between the tire tracks.

mulcahy mowing
03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm sorta under the weather today:cry: This is kinda fun:laugh:
me two coming down with strep throat

liquidforcedude7
03-12-2006, 11:47 AM
My stripes here dont show up unless I go over the same stripe at least twice.... must be the kind of grass

Flex-Deck
03-12-2006, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Flex-Deck]

You always use a different direction every week. In a picture its that weeks pattern.

If someone does only one pattern, its usually a home owner or newbie

Of course, I do that - I was of the assumption we were talking the two pattern stripe jobs we have seen pictures of on this site.

Duck Dodger
03-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't understand how you can't leave a stripe. I have cut st. aug, bermuda, centipede, bahai, zyosia, fesue, poa, and bent grass. Everything leaves a stripe. Even if just a slight tint of difference. If the customers don't notice (I don't know how they wouldn't) they would at least know one lawn looks better than another.

Flex-Deck
03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I have not done alot of striping. How do you stripe small properties or big lawns with alot of obstacles ie; trees, mulch beds etc...

Pull up to the tree, do a 180 or only one side, back up to the tree, and continue

Idealtim
03-12-2006, 01:28 PM
I can't beleive this a real thread. How could you not stripe a lawn? We have always called mowing in circles redneck mowing. Every customer I have has told me how nice there stripes look. You guys keep cutting the way you are and when you customers see my lawns I'll be taking them from you. Tons of people notice stripes in ballfields why else would they make logos and all the other cool stuff they do.

THANK YOU!!!Everybody I know in the bussiness makes fun of those that dont. And to top it off, most of my properties are very visible to others so it would be stupid for us not to. And like someone else said,''If you say that your customers dont care, then cut the property zig zagged and random and see what they say.''The last nail in the coffin is that it seemes to be faster to do stripes.:drinkup:

Piscitelli Landscape
03-12-2006, 02:18 PM
"man Is Not A Shape In The Landscape But Rather A Shaper Of The Landscape"

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 02:20 PM
"man Is Not A Shape In The Landscape But Rather A Shaper Of The Landscape"

Hope is the most precious treasure to a person:usflag:

dkeisala
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
My opinion - we care more about striping than customers do.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 02:36 PM
My opinion - we care more about striping than customers do.

Come to the north east young man:waving:

dkeisala
03-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Come to the north east young man:waving:
Young man?!! Thank you for the compliment. I didn't say we don't do it or that I don't think it's important, I just don't think that it's of primary importance to our clients.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=dkeisala]Young man?!! Thank you for the compliment. QUOTE]

Anything to make your Sunday special:waving: I wish we did it like Florida does, life would be easier:clapping:

southernlandscapespecial
03-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Here in the South we have St. Augustine. Can this type of grass be striped?

dkeisala
03-12-2006, 03:56 PM
If you think about it, striping is the attractive result of efficiently mowing a lawn. Start at the far side, work your way back and finish with your clean-up cut around the perimeter.

Another thought, if you're going to do something you may as well do it to the best of your ability, make it look as perfect as possible and take pride in your work. If you look at the lawn while leaving a job and you can't say "damn, that looks good!" then why are you doing it?

DESTEFANO3782
03-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I Had A Business In South Florida For 3 Years. Now I Have A Business In Mass. Alot Of Landscapers In Florida Are Hacks And Alot Of That Has To Do With The Undercutters And Illegals. When Your Cutting A Lawn For 8 To 10 Dollars U Dont Have Time To Stripe All Your Doing Is Trying To Get It Done As Fast As You Can. It Is Possible To Stripe But The Grass Grows So Fast By The Next Day The Stripes Are Gone.

John Gamba
03-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I Had A Business In South Florida For 3 Years. Now I Have A Business In Mass. Alot Of Landscapers In Florida Are Hacks And Alot Of That Has To Do With The Undercutters And Illegals. When Your Cutting A Lawn For 8 To 10 Dollars U Dont Have Time To Stripe All Your Doing Is Trying To Get It Done As Fast As You Can. It Is Possible To Stripe But The Grass Grows So Fast By The Next Day The Stripes Are Gone.

Very true:usflag:

tcls83
03-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Circle guys- If you guys are just going around in circles, isn't there a humongous pile of grass in the middle of your cinnamon bun mowing style? If you say "Well, we just rake it up, and throw it in the woods", then doesn't that waste your time?

Maybe grass differs from state to state, but I would stripe anywhere I live.

In a way, doing circles is like installing cheap-o 1/2 inch particle boards as the subfloor in a bunch of houses your building. Hey, people moving into the houses will never notice, huh?

Say you were looking to hire someone to cut your house. There were 2 identical companies cutting your house. The only difference was that one did the swirlies and one striped. Which one would you choose?

Come on, we're landscapers! Our job is to improve the appearance of properties!

Honestly, though I really don't care how you do things. Do what you want. Different strokes for different folks.

GrassFearsMe
03-13-2006, 01:38 AM
i am not saying i cut my houses in circles all the time just when it seems like a good idea, you know have FUN at work. Most of the time i do mow stripes into my accounts i just dont focus on it and buy stupid striping attachments, oh and btw i use a Walker that COLLECTS the grass. Plus for all you guys that blow out your grass i laugh at you because i think regaurdless of of the STRIPES you put in the lawn any grass clippings that are visible when you leave are disgusting and look much more unprofessional then crooked stripes.

nobagger
03-13-2006, 05:41 AM
I actually picked up 2 customers last year and again this year just because of the stripe kits we use. But I also have some who could give a rats *#$!:laugh: