PDA

View Full Version : Spreaders and small sprayers?

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2006, 10:16 PM
What brands and types are you all using?

topsites
03-11-2006, 11:37 PM
For sprayers, I have several. I started with just one small pump-and-go 1-gallon POS which was very nice, I upgraded this to a 1-gallon pump-once then go and this was even nicer. Later that year I bought a 2.5 gallon hand sprayer and then another one because I became a firm believer: Each chemical to ONE sprayer (so they never get mixed).
The 2.5 gallon sprayers are super nice, what I learned is the larger the capacity, the nicer it sprays (less time spent pumping and refilling, more time spent doing actual work AND higher gpm flow {gallons per minute - thou it takes 10 mins / gallon}).

Early this year I bought a backpack sprayer, and this one is by far the nicest of them all (2 gallons every 10 minutes, 15-20 minutes and this 4-gallon badboy is out and I am usually done by then - this baby gets rid of some chem!). Brand? The one that cost the least and looked the best (not the cheapest, just what I thought was the best deal).
I believe the 2.5 galloners cost around 15-20 dollars (get the deck and patio sprayer, it's the same thing but it's slightly larger and slightly cheaper - well, compare them all and look at size vs. price, also how it looks). The backpacker isn't cheap, 80 bucks or so.

For spreaders, I use this one:
Agri Fab Walk Behind Broadcast Spreader — 125lb. Capacity, Model# 45-02102
Here:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=9054&R=9054
It's not the best, mine's about falling apart but I'm hard on my equipment and have used the dogs out of it and it still works going on my 5th year... Might recommend one of the industrial-duty stainless steel ones, but they're not cheap (300 dollars or so for a good one).

Green-Pro
03-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Spyker Model 88 spreader

Agri-Fab Spreader

Solo Back pack sprayer

A couple cheapo 2 gallon piston sprayers

Both are push spreaders, I first bought the Spyker, I really like it. Later in the season one of the college kids I hired was licensed so I got the Agri Fab to get us by. Funny thing is I see Agri Fab get a lot of verbal abuse heaped upon their equipment, but this thing has held up so far, and the kid I hired Had used both preferred to use the Agri Fab.

6'7 330
03-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Lesco spreaders, We also use solo backpack sprayers for spot spraying ,Glycophosphate etc.

Envy Lawn Service
03-12-2006, 12:13 AM
It's been a long time since I 'pushed' a spreader.
But that has been one of my thoughts....
I miss the convinence of them now that I use ZTR's.

Just toss in on and squeeze an app in the schedule in-route.

I can't use the tow spreaders with the ZTR's so I have to load out and make a special trip for those jobs.

Green-Pro
03-12-2006, 12:26 AM
It's been a long time since I 'pushed' a spreader.
But that has been one of my thoughts....
I miss the convinence of them now that I use ZTR's.

Just toss in on and squeeze an app in the schedule in-route.

I can't use the tow spreaders with the ZTR's so I have to load out and make a special trip for those jobs.

Wow, I can't imagine doing without the push spreader, even now that I got the Z Spray. Just an added versatility that you just don't know when it will come in handy.
Now that I think about it I have one property we apply on that has on helluva hill, long and steep, I will definitely be taking the push spreader for that guy just in case :cry:
The 50' hose reel on the Z will be handy, I wanted to dedicate the backpack sprayer for soil sterilant only anyway.

Envy Lawn Service
03-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I had an old Roundup Professional sprayer that did well for a long time. But the pump rod started rusting. As for the Solo sprayers, I've had good luck with them also because the materials are good. The sun, weather and chemicals don't degrade them and nothing to rust.

However, this last new one I bought, a Solo 430-2G, well it has leaked since day one. Leaks no matter how tight you close it and it has gotten worse. After the first use I started having to take the whole top off to get it open. I overtightened the center. Anyways, now I have both parts so tight I'm not sure I'll ever get either part open again.

But I was thinking this was just a bad one maybe. So I had a look at some more Solo Sprayers and some from SP Systems. I guess I could look at Echo too maybe and ride down to Lesco to see what they have to offer.

Envy Lawn Service
03-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah.... of course I'd like to just go pick up this badboy.

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=153

The Ztwo Spreader Sprayer is one nice rig huh?
But I'm trying to 'control' spending this year.
So dropping 8K on that would de-rail that.... LOL...

cleancutccl
03-12-2006, 12:47 AM
I run anderson spreader, and sp backpack sprayers. Great equipment.

Envy Lawn Service
03-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I run anderson spreader, and sp backpack sprayers. Great equipment.

Hey thanks... I think you knocked some of the cobwebbs off my brain there...

Please tell me that's the spreader with the green hopper and orange rims????

If so great, because I have been trying to remember who made this spreader.
Great friggin push spreader with a good swath and granular delivery like you wouldn't believe.
No other spreader spreads the style this one does.

Green-Pro
03-12-2006, 01:25 AM
I had an old Roundup Professional sprayer that did well for a long time. But the pump rod started rusting. As for the Solo sprayers, I've had good luck with them also because the materials are good. The sun, weather and chemicals don't degrade them and nothing to rust.

However, this last new one I bought, a Solo 430-2G, well it has leaked since day one. Leaks no matter how tight you close it and it has gotten worse. After the first use I started having to take the whole top off to get it open. I overtightened the center. Anyways, now I have both parts so tight I'm not sure I'll ever get either part open again.

But I was thinking this was just a bad one maybe. So I had a look at some more Solo Sprayers and some from SP Systems. I guess I could look at Echo too maybe and ride down to Lesco to see what they have to offer.

Envy

Have you tried a tad smaller O-ring seal for the lid than the one Solo uses/recommends? I didn't have so much leaking problems as much as I did cheap, poor quality material O-ring. I went to the farmers elevator store and bought a replacement ring, just a bit smaller, but way more durable and not a single leak.

PaulJ
03-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Lesco spreader, Lesco backpack, chapin handpumps in 1,2,3gal, and a couple of other 2gal handpumps
A 15gal sprayer wiht 8ft boom mounted on a garden tractor and a agrifab tow spreader.
I will Probably add another backpack this year and maybe a Lesco electric mounted spreader.

SHERRILLFDLS
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I use Shindaiwa push spreader, lesco truckster spreader, 25-gal Northstar sprayer w/boom and also use Shindaiwa & Solo sprayers.

Envy Lawn Service
03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
So handheld and backpack sprayers...
Lesco
Solo
SP Systems
(right?)

Not real sure what I'm going with there. What about Hudson. Is any of their stuff worth a crap anymore? Oh and SHURflo, haven't seen one of those in a while, but what about those.

As for spreaders, anyone running one on their ZTR? You know, the electric ones that just mount on the mower? Personally, I'm wondering if I could get that Lesco spreader to mount right on my Ztwo. Don't see why not unless they just don't want me to have it that way. The thing I have to question though is how would be be sure you are properly metering the app? It's not going to be the same as something ground engaging drive.

MMLawn
03-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Lesco's BP sprayer is a Solo 425 just with Lesco's name on it, same for Pennington's BP.

Also the ones (BP) that Lowe's sells are SP Systems.

Envy Lawn Service
03-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Lesco's BP sprayer is a Solo 425 just with Lesco's name on it, same for Pennington's BP.

Also the ones (BP) that Lowe's sells are SP Systems.

I thought many of them looked similar.
I think I'll just get one and put my name on it LOL....

Honestly, I might ought to call Lesco and bug them sometime when I get a few minutes to. Might be smart to go that route because I bet they keep all the little BS parts for them unlike places around here. Then I could nag them for the little parts that go from time to time instead of throwing away and buying new every time.

What do you use MM?

Envy Lawn Service
04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Envy

Have you tried a tad smaller O-ring seal for the lid than the one Solo uses/recommends? I didn't have so much leaking problems as much as I did cheap, poor quality material O-ring. I went to the farmers elevator store and bought a replacement ring, just a bit smaller, but way more durable and not a single leak.

No, I hadn't thought about doing that. So I finally got around to taking it apart this afternoon. Everything looked good, but I can see the point of a tad smaller O-Ring. The one in it is about that same amount too large.

But as I was inspecting, I did figure out what the problem is. There is a slight imperfection in the very top of the mouth of the jug... and that is where the leak is. This might could be sealed off with a thicker, stiffer seal. One day when I think about it I'll look for one and try it.

jtodd71
04-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah.... of course I'd like to just go pick up this badboy.

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=153

The Ztwo Spreader Sprayer is one nice rig huh?
But I'm trying to 'control' spending this year.
So dropping 8K on that would de-rail that.... LOL...

I made a sprayer/spreader alot like that for my walk behind cost me about 1000 for all of it minus the walk behind. its easy for one person to put it on and off one person.

jtodd71
04-30-2006, 11:14 PM
EZ App can be switch out by one person and only costs around $6000.
If it can attach to your mower. As for rates and settings most suppliers will explain that or give you a chart.:walking:
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7948/ez39rg.gif

1000 is far cheaper than 6000

GreenUtah
05-02-2006, 06:18 PM
where did this above quoted area come from??? I do not like seated spraying with a handgun out to one side, why not just use a boom or a boomless nozzzle?

Envy...we ran the trucksters(LESCO) mounted to the rears of ZTRs with absolutely no problem for fert and icemelt. Just need a hitch on the machine to bolt to and the topside can be secured with arms, cables or tie down straps. Run the on/off to a switch on the handle to run the impellor and the rope to open it up the left side to the driver's seat...pretty simple, very accurate, and relaible. The downside is carry area for extra fert. sitting on the bags or having them under your feet is no fun..lol

Envy Lawn Service
05-06-2006, 12:47 AM
where did this above quoted area come from??? I do not like seated spraying with a handgun out to one side, why not just use a boom or a boomless nozzzle?

Envy...we ran the trucksters(LESCO) mounted to the rears of ZTRs with absolutely no problem for fert and icemelt. Just need a hitch on the machine to bolt to and the topside can be secured with arms, cables or tie down straps. Run the on/off to a switch on the handle to run the impellor and the rope to open it up the left side to the driver's seat...pretty simple, very accurate, and relaible. The downside is carry area for extra fert. sitting on the bags or having them under your feet is no fun..lol

Is the "truckster" basically the one from above less the black part?

Do you have any pictures of the mounting?
How about a general price range?

Also, since you have them maybe you can answer something. Since they are not ground engaging/ground driven, how do you go about being consistant with the apps?

I gotta look into something different... I'm not a happy camper right now.

jtodd71
05-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Do you have any pictures of the mounting?
How about a general price range?

Also, since you have them maybe you can answer something. Since they are not ground engaging/ground driven, how do you go about being consistant with the apps?

I gotta look into something different... I'm not a happy camper right now.

I use a Battery for mine

GreenUtah
05-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Yes, that is a truckster mounted on the back of that with the hopper extension(black part) to get it to hold 125#(by the way, you'd think that people that have made and sell 50lb fertilizer bags would work on their math skills a little bit, yes? lol) Since you are looking to mount to a hydro(a gear drive is easier to figure ground speeds on) my suggestion is for measuring mph at full throttle and full forward, then make your calculations according to the throw width of the product you are using, then just set the gate on the spreader accordingly. You can't go by the spreader setting recommendations on the bags of fert, as your ground speed will be much faster than walking speed. As far as mounting the spreader, run a switch to your handlebars form the battery and plug it into the spreader, you'll need a tab for the lower part of the spreader to mount to, so have one welded on, then mount the upper arms straight to the engine cage on the ztr or use tie downs to help support the weight..that's really about it. No pics of the mounting and those machines went with the sale of my biz, but it's not a tricky conversion whatsoever. Again, you're only prob will be where to carry the extra bags of fert so that you're not heading back to the truck every 10 minutes.

lawncuttinfoo
05-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Are there rear view mirrors for that thing? how do you know exactly where the spread zone is?

What if it got clogged for 100 yards then started up again cause you hit a bump?

Pull behind spreaders sure smell like machines solely to apease the big property managers, they see you using it and say "he must be doing a good job he has a machine dedicated to fert"

Envy Lawn Service
05-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Well, I guess it would be fitting to update both of these threads so here goes...

Seems everything just sorta flew apart all at once on me before I really had a chance to decide for certain.

I had semi-decided that I would likely just get everything from Lesco. But that was going to involve me having to ride down 80 miles to have a good look at what I was buying first. So I was looking for that time... and when I had it, I used it to look around locally...

I really didn't just want to jump over to Lesco stuff. I wanted to at least try and see if I could get another Scotts/Anderson Professional spreader and I wanted to have a look at that SP Systems slim profile backpack with the agitator for wettable powders.

Anyways, I kind of got caught beating around the bush on things. So I went with what I thought would be the K.I.S.S. method. I bought a knockoff of a Lesco spreader, and a Solo type backpack, which could have been a knockoff, but I couldn't tell.

In the end, the backpack leaked in Solo fashion just like the other one, and for the same reason.... tank mouth uneven.... but in this case, sense it was a backpack, I found out when chemicals went running down my back. So I took it back and went looking for the SP Systems unit I wanted. I didn't find it, but did see an RL Flowmaster Pro, which also looked to be a Solo. In the end, I bought an SP Systems Landscaper's Choice 2. So far I am pretty happy with it. It doesn't have the power for tall tree applications, but it is fine for most of the ornamental trees, ect. The wand is also very good and precise. It is metal rather than the Solo unbreakable type, but the shutoff is instant, which I like. The only think I would change is the fact the wand does not have a real handle for you to hold by hand and it's much more tiring to use because of that than solo.

As for the spreader, it looked good, and seemed to do a good job. But it didn't, hence the other thread... LOL... Streaked I think because it threw heavy in the center. But to be fair, it could have been due to buildup on the impeller. But Oh well... took it back before that ever dawned on me.

Again, really in a pinch and no time to run down to Lesco to have a look. I did find the Scotts/Anderson... but I decided I would NOT pay $580 for a push spreader, despite the fact I think they are the best. Golf courses seem to think so too, which has driven the price to what I feel is just unreasonable for any push spreader. It's the principle of the thing, not the $580 or the equipment...

So I bought an Earthway Commercial 100 LB push spreader. Had Earthway in the past and liked it, just not as much as the Scotts/Andersons. Overall, I think I like it as much as I could like any non-Scotts/Andersons spreader. It's an adjustment period for me and will take a little getting used to.

LawnJohn
05-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Lesco Spreader

1 - 4 Gallon Shindaiwa Backpack Sprayer
1 - 4 Gallon Jacto Backpack Sprayer
1 - 2 Gallon Orth sprayer (for home)
1 - 1 Gallon Hudson (for home)

My apps are made with the 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayers.

kbrashears
05-17-2006, 03:19 PM
We run a JRCO spreader on the front of an eXmark for granulars.
2 Andersen push spreaders.
Four SOLO backpacks, one dedicated to killers.
55 Gallon Tow behind with a 14 foot boom.
300 gallon on a skid on it's own Tandem axel trailer with 300' of hose. Unfortunately, it's on a trailer as we cannot afford to lose the beds of our trucks. Hopefully, I can purchase a dedicated chemical truck and put the skid in the back.

GreenUtah
05-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Are there rear view mirrors for that thing? how do you know exactly where the spread zone is?

What if it got clogged for 100 yards then started up again cause you hit a bump?

Pull behind spreaders sure smell like machines solely to apease the big property managers, they see you using it and say "he must be doing a good job he has a machine dedicated to fert"

well, you certainly can hear the fert hitting the impellor on an electric model, even over the engine, unless you have no muffler..lol..I generally throw light and back to my tiretracks to avoid striping and this works out just fine with the throw width not being visible all the time. Bonus, my head does turn, so that I can look over my shoulder at the pattern as I'm driving the long stretches out too..lol