PDA

View Full Version : gettin' wheelbarrows up to the dump bed...

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I was wondering if you guys had any ideas or how you dump full wheelbarrows up into the dump beds of a dump truck? I bought a 1 ton dump truck but the bed is a lot higher than the bed of a pick-up. I have the aluminum ramps that work great for the 1/2 ton truck.

1. Buy the metal attachments that you can hook up 2x8 boards to?
2. Do they make metal or aluminum ramps that are a lot longer than the typical ones?
3. The ramps that come with U-hauls would be be perfect but are heavy take up a lot of space? If so, do you know where you could buy new or used ones?
4. I've seen pictures of guys who put the ramps on their trailers which would work. But, it seems like a lot of trouble and my trailer will be with the mower crew most of the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

CAG
03-12-2006, 12:45 AM
those would be some pretty long ramps. plus i don't think that you would be able to wheel it up.. my new dump is probably 4 feet high.I would say a big job use a loader.. small jobs like digging out some soil just pull the truck up to where you are digging and wing it in the dump in one shot..

jc1
03-12-2006, 06:23 AM
I use 2x10s with the brackets you mentioned set on the tail gate down. They are 12 footers and we only use 2 wheeled wheel barrows. After putting too much in them the first 2 or 3 times you remember to fill them less.

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dig a hole and park your truck in it!....:rolleyes:

:) :) :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't help myself

akerr
03-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Use the landscaper's most valuable tool a 5 gallon bucket. This only works for small amounts of soil/spoils. You could also not fill the barrow completely full and have one person on each end and lift it up and dump it on it's side into the bed.
Just a few ideas
Adam

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 07:32 AM
or you could get one of these:

http://www.tcp.eu.com/hit500/index.html#

AGLA
03-12-2006, 08:15 AM
If you have a mower trailer, use that with a plank going up from there.

jreiff
03-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Squizzy, you have one or ever used one? Look like they would work pretty well.

Know how much they cost?

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 04:35 PM
We are testing a few different brands but only one rental place has one here and its a model too small. Bill (Uniscaper) has ordered two of the tracked type.

cgland
03-12-2006, 05:16 PM
We use 2x10's if the need arises. Most of the time we have a loader on site, but for the small jobs with limited access we use the boards w/ the ramp kits on them.

Chris

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking the 2x10" planks are gonna be my best bet.

Give me a couple of years and maybe then I'll be able to justify buying one :)

Thanks!

Dave

start2finish
03-12-2006, 08:13 PM
how much are you trying to load. a few wheelbarrows or a truck load of stuff a wheebarrow at a time?

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
how much are you trying to load. a few wheelbarrows or a truck load of stuff a wheebarrow at a time?

I'll be filling the dump up all the way. One wheelbarrow at a time. (yes, i know it's gonna be a PITA) :weightlifter: :weightlifter: It's prolly gonna be more like 1/2 to 2/3 of the wheelbarrow. Mainly dirt from edging flower beds, sometimes excess mulch, or any other landscape materials.

Dave

Lawn Tek
03-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Easiet way , drop gate on trailer ,place board to tailgate of dump down on trailer , clamp board down , we do this when we have too .

ofishil
03-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Never used a dump truck but what i have done to get heavy stuff (4wheelers, heavy barbq pits, motorcycles, ect...) out from the back of a truck is to drop my ramp onto the tailgate of a truck and roll whatever up or down into or out of the trailer. I then move the truck forward then roll whatever out from the trailer. In your case its a perfect opportunity to put a side ramp on your trailer to get the wheelbarrels access without having to move the trucks.

Itsgottobegreen
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I just bring my kubota b7500 with me on all jobs requiring a wheel barrow. Its a power wheel barrow to me. My guys like it cause its less work for them.

start2finish
03-13-2006, 06:48 AM
you need a tractor at least in the street to move this material into the truck. Filling a dunp truck full a wheebarrow at a time is very hard work not to mention Workers Comp claims, from back injury.

John Gamba
03-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Easiet way , drop gate on trailer ,place board to tailgate of dump down on trailer , clamp board down , we do this when we have too .

Put the trailer like lawntek has and get the trasporter and tub from jrcoinc. I would also look into a good used dump trailer, they are lower then a dump truck.

hole in one lco
03-13-2006, 07:34 AM
winch and a box

kris
03-13-2006, 07:45 AM
you need a tractor at least in the street to move this material into the truck. Filling a dunp truck full a wheebarrow at a time is very hard work not to mention Workers Comp claims, from back injury.

Come on now .... are you a Landscaper?... sometimes you have to do hard labor.

start2finish
03-13-2006, 07:57 AM
yes we do hard manual labor, but there is a line where equipment usage is mandatory. This isn't a chain gang.

NickN
03-13-2006, 11:18 AM
How about installing a lift gate on the dump truck?Pull the wheelbarrow up,load on gate.Raise gate and dump.Lower gate for next load.

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-13-2006, 11:28 AM
How about installing a lift gate on the dump truck?Pull the wheelbarrow up,load on gate.Raise gate and dump.Lower gate for next load.

That's something I have thought about but I wouldn't think it could work. I've seen them on larger trucks on the passenger side of the bed. However, the sides don't fold down on my truck. The problem I see with putting one on the back is that it's a dump bed and I don't know if they make ones that work w/dump beds??

Anyone seen or heard about lift gates working on a 1998 3500HD? I'm curious. Also, I've got central hydraulics, so I'd like to maybe see if they have some that run on hydraulics.

Dave

NickN
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Look at these links
http://www.nbctruckequip.com/liftgates.html
and
http://www.tommygate.com/lguide/flatbed/fsv_main.html

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks Nick!

I requested some more info from them.

Dave

kris
03-13-2006, 01:12 PM
K.I.S.S.

Sometimes you do what you have to do ...

Here is a pic of a ramps mounted under our trucks ...great for transporting a mt55 or yes darn it a wheelbarrow full of spoils!

kris
03-13-2006, 01:14 PM
and another...............

kris
03-13-2006, 01:15 PM
underneith.......................

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
kris,

Thanks! I think that will be the best way to go for myself. I wanted to use those "u-haul" ramps but I didn't know how to store it without getting in the way.

Did you do all the fabricating yourself?

Also, did you buy the ramp used? Any suggestions where I could find one?

Thanks!

Dave

Surfside
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Fill the wheelbarrow up while its in the dumptruck! then dump! Sorry I had too!:hammerhead:

DUSTYCEDAR
03-13-2006, 06:26 PM
just go to u haul and ask if they have any old 1's

ripple
03-13-2006, 06:37 PM
If you have a mower trailer, use that with a plank going up from there.
Thats a good idea...

AGLA
03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
How does that ramp work out with the dump hydraulic?

mx495
03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
That's something I have thought about but I wouldn't think it could work. I've seen them on larger trucks on the passenger side of the bed. However, the sides don't fold down on my truck. The problem I see with putting one on the back is that it's a dump bed and I don't know if they make ones that work w/dump beds??

Anyone seen or heard about lift gates working on a 1998 3500HD? I'm curious. Also, I've got central hydraulics, so I'd like to maybe see if they have some that run on hydraulics.

How does that ramp work out with the dump hydraulic?

I have one i don't use anymore, but anyway it mounts to the back of your dump bed and can fold down for a lift and also hinges at the top and releases at bottom to make it like a dump through gate. I need to get rid of it if anyone is interested.