PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke?

qualitylawnmanagement
03-11-2006, 11:02 PM
OK for you guys who have the 7.3 power stroke, How long do they last? Cause I found one real nice but has 275,000 miles on. How long do you think things will start going wrong with it? I have been looking at trucks for a month or so to replace my gas hog 351, and I found a nice power stroke in a good price range.

OK the truck is:

2000 ford 250 SC SB 4x4 xlt power stoke auto- $13,000

Below is a picture of the truck I listed for help above.

Madstriper
03-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Truck looks nice, check out the value on www.kbb.com.......my dad has a 95 f250 with the 7.3 powerstroke, loves it, great truck, he has over 350,000 miles on it with very few problems. But buying a truck with that many miles is kinda scary. Anytime my dad puts his in the shop its at least a grand..........id look for one with mileage under 150k if you can find one.

TWUllc
03-11-2006, 11:14 PM
275,000 miles for 13k? No thank you. Keep looking.:waving:

qualitylawnmanagement
03-11-2006, 11:25 PM
How much do you think I should talk them down to? My trade in is $4500.00.

ALarsh
03-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Well kbb is $14,225 but I would pass on a truck with 275,000 miles...

Mowingman
03-12-2006, 08:29 AM
I buy 1995 - 2000 Powerstroke Ford pickups that have over 225000 when I get them. I have had 12 of them, all from the sdame fleet. Some I have run up to 280,000, before selling, and they were still running strong. The key question, is what kind of maintenance has that truck had? All my trucks come from a fleet, and I get complete maintenance records with them.
If well maintained, that truck could easily go 500,000 miles. Have a good diesel mechanic inspect it.
As to value. I pay between $5000 and $6000 for my trucks. They are only XL trim work trucks though. Mine do come with complete service records, are in perfect mechanical condition, and body and interior, while showing wear, are very nice. I would not pay over $9500.00 - $10,000 for the truck you are looking at.

Randy J
03-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Looks like the truck has been maintained well, so it's probably got some more miles in it. But I'd be leery of it - repairs can get expensive. Some things I've had experience with include a fuel pump, glow plugs & relay, injectors, some (not as common) problems with turbos, coolant leak which I'm not sure how common, but mine had it and I know of at least a couple others that did also. Although many people just like Ford better, I'd be much less scared of a Dodge/Cummins with that many miles on it. All that having been said, it looks like it's in pretty good shape, but I would certainly look for a much lower price. While KBB has some good information, I've found it to be reliably overpriced. Check edmunds.com instead. It seems to be much more realistic.

CAG
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
that truck is in really good shape!!! but I'm pretty sure i still wouldn't buy anything with that amount of miles..

gammon landscaping
03-12-2006, 08:25 PM
well mine is a 99 f250 4x4 and has around 116,000. also has the powerstroke and in good shape. i would probably sell it for around 19,000 if that helps you out as far as what they are worth

qualitylawnmanagement
03-12-2006, 08:47 PM
What type of mpg would I get with this powersroke? My 5.8 (351) gets between 5 and 6. Also how big of improvement would the edge power turner get me on mpg? I might go look at it this week, If it's not something I want then I'll get shopping then. Any imput would be helpful.

dcondon
03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
What type of mpg would I get with this powersroke? My 5.8 (351) gets between 5 and 6. Also how big of improvement would the edge power turner get me on mpg? I might go look at it this week, If it's not something I want then I'll get shopping then. Any imput would be helpful.

I'm guessing around 11-14 mpg. Nice looking truck but thats a lot of miles. If you only new what the maintance record is on it. No way would I buy a truck like that if I didn't know who owned it before. JMO

dcondon
03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing around 11-14 mpg. Nice looking truck but thats a lot of miles. If you only new what the maintance record is on it. No way would I buy a truck like that if I didn't know who owned it before. JMO

mpg would be pulling a trailer, sorry!!

Randy J
03-13-2006, 07:22 AM
A good running powerstroke should get you in the low to mid-teens pulling a trailer - depending on load. The high teens by itself. A Cummins tends to run just a little bit higher - depending on which series in my experience. Putting a performance "box" on either engine will improve powerand mileage - depending on how you drive. The great thing about diesel engines, unless you real drive them hard performance enhancements lead to efficiency improvement also.

All-Pro LawnCare
03-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I would not have one without the tuner. Too much turbo lagg for my taste. I installed one on my 02 F250 and its night and day difference in the lowest setting. I would worry more about the trans before the motor.

captken
03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
A good running powerstroke should get you in the low to mid-teens pulling a trailer - depending on load. The high teens by itself. A Cummins tends to run just a little bit higher - depending on which series in my experience. Putting a performance "box" on either engine will improve powerand mileage - depending on how you drive. The great thing about diesel engines, unless you real drive them hard performance enhancements lead to efficiency improvement also.

I have a F350 with the Dana rear end, and I am lucky to break 10.5 mpg pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded with my stuff. Light truck is a different matter.
This is combined city/highway mileage.

captken
03-13-2006, 08:56 PM

You make it seem like they all run differently....

I have a F350 with the Dana rear end, and I am lucky to break 10.5 mpg towing a tandem axle trailer loaded with my stuff. Light truck is a different matter.
This is combined city/highway mileage.

WTF with the double post...I tried to edit...kenny

MMLawn
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I've got a 2005 PowerStroke Diesel F350 Super Crew Dually and it gets 13 mpg carring 3-4 guys and towing a 20' tandum loaded with 2 ZTRS, 1 WB, 1 21', 4 trimmers/edgers, 2 blowers and all the other crap my traveling crew carries. It gets 16 not towing.

qualitylawnmanagement
03-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Well guys thanks for the help, I decided it had way to many miles. But for the price it was a pretty good. I'm going to keep looking for a new truck. Thank you guys very much.

Scag48
03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
There's a point where you just have to throw KBB out the window. For $20K you could have a truck with around 100K miles and 2 years newer. I'm glad you didn't buy that one, that would have been a mistake. I wouldn't have given a dollar over $9,000 for it.

Dixie Rob
03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
My daily driver is a 95 with 225,000 that I would take ANYWHERE. My bosses is a 01 with 275,000 that he says he would take anywhere. We also have a 944 with 220,000 that is super strong.

As far as problems. My truck has had a new tranny at about 150k due to me hitting something and breaking a cooler line and not knowing about it till it was too late. The 94 has had a couple of minor things like a diesel leak here and there, nothing big. The 2001 has had nothing wrong with it.

We do our oil changes at 5000 miles, and have done no other type of tuneups on them.

I know you have walked away, but maybe this will help you with future decisions. I do really like the Duramax as well, and have neutral feelings for the weeker Cummings, but ours has been so-so.

efaubert1
03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I love my 99 PSD, but mine with 126K only books for 13's, and I wouldn't have paid more than 9 for it either. And I love Ford trucks. As for mpg, I get 11-13 towing 10k trailer, and 14-16 empty.

Randy J
03-16-2006, 07:05 PM
... I do really like the Duramax as well, and have neutral feelings for the weeker Cummings, but ours has been so-so.

Two things here Dixie Rob, 1st its Cummins, not Cummings; 2nd, the Cummins is a much beefer engine, capable of much more torque than the Powerstroke or Duramax. Put the connecting rods from the Cummins next the those of the Powerstroke and you'll see what I mean. That doesn't mean those 2 are bad engines, but they do not have the longevity, durability, or (IMO) capabilities of the Cummins. People can argue Dodge vs. Chevy or Ford all day long, but when it comes to motors, there really is no comparison. There are million mile Powerstrokes out there, but not nearly as many as Cummins. There are Powerstrokes at truck pulls, but not nearly as many as Cummins. Now a Cummins in a Ford would be interesting...

The Yard Barber, Inc.
03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I mean 275k and still 13k i just bought a 2003 2500HD for 16,500 and it only has 60k miles on it. If you look aroung, you can find a better deal than that or maybe talk them down a bit. Look at the transmission and rear axle seals for leaks, 275k is a lot. I mean you need to look at a lot but, for starters you could see the maintinance records and ask the former owner if it is highway or city miles. remember there is more to a truck than the motor, Its a ford

Travel'n Trees
03-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke heck no!! Today the 4th Ford dealer came back with a 4th excuse on why should let them put a new motor in for 12K and changed the reason mid lie. If ford was a respectable company these dealers wouldn't b unrespectable too! Blue Springs Ford, Blue Springs, Mo. Cresent Ford,New Orleans, Crystal Springs Ford, Crystal Springs, Ms. Midway Ford, Kansas City Mo..

Smalltimer1
03-16-2006, 11:41 PM
remember there is more to a truck than the motor, Its a ford

That's why it has 275k on it.:weightlifter:

Smalltimer1
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Put the connecting rods from the Cummins next the those of the Powerstroke and you'll see what I mean. That doesn't mean those 2 are bad engines, but they do not have the longevity, durability, or (IMO) capabilities of the Cummins. People can argue Dodge vs. Chevy or Ford all day long, but when it comes to motors, there really is no comparison. There are million mile Powerstrokes out there, but not nearly as many as Cummins. There are Powerstrokes at truck pulls, but not nearly as many as Cummins. Now a Cummins in a Ford would be interesting...

The connecting rod comparison is a favorite among Cummins guys but they forget that the Cummins lacks 2 cylinders and therefore has more force on less cylinders which expains the need for bigger rods. If the PSD and Duramax had 6 cylinders, their rods would be bigger than the Cummins, but they have 8 (which means the same force is distributed over 8 rods instead of just 6) and don't really need the extra mass the Cummins does to do the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, the Cummins is a good engine, but I think it is overrated. Most trucks are put out of service at around 250k, so really the more miles you have on a truck the more risk you are taking that it will have a problem regardless of make.

I prefer the PSD myself because I feel that it has the best overall driveability of the 3. I had considered a Cummins/5 spd. but I didn't like the way that it performed on the open road (engine lugging in 5th gear at speed, have to run in 4th instead, lower mpg's as a result), because I spend a lot of time on the road and needed a truck that drove well and got good mpg's. The PSD I have now gets 18-20mpg empty on the road as long as I stay at or under 70mph. Towing it gets 16-18mpg, and in town it gets about 16 and its an auto. I couldn't find a manual 6.0 regular cab longbed 4x2 in NC when I bought mine but I got a heck of a deal on this one new and I'm loving every minute of it.

On the other hand, the guy I'm working for hates his Dodge Cummins (now wrecked at 158k, asking $6300 OBO), which I am being paid to sell for him. He showed me the shop work orders where it spent the first 4 out of 6 months off the lot in the shop for transmission and transfer case related problems. He swore up and down he'd never buy another Dodge. He said he bought a Dodge then because he thought it looked better than the Fords of that time, and he said he knows better now than to judge a truck by its body. He's back in a F-450 PSD now.

Smalltimer1
03-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Powerstroke heck no!! Today the 4th Ford dealer came back with a 4th excuse on why should let them put a new motor in for 12K and changed the reason mid lie. If ford was a respectable company these dealers wouldn't b unrespectable too! Blue Springs Ford, Blue Springs, Mo. Cresent Ford,New Orleans, Crystal Springs Ford, Crystal Springs, Ms. Midway Ford, Kansas City Mo..

It's the other way around, if the dealer was any good, you would be singing their praises. But we all know your stories.

Randy J
03-17-2006, 06:52 AM
... which I am being paid to sell for him. He showed me the shop work orders where it spent the first 4 out of 6 months off the lot in the shop for transmission and transfer case related problems. He swore up and down he'd never buy another Dodge. ...

My point exactly! There are lots of problems with Dodge transmissions - the auto and the 5 speed anyway - not to many known problems with the 6 speed. But there are very very few problems with the Cummins engine. The only major problem I know of is with the early 24 valve engines. They used the left over 12 valve engine blocks in the early 24 valve engines. Those early blocks had a weakness around a coolant passage, and they were prone to cracking. Other than that, very little issues. Now Ford and GM on the other hand, we all know have their problems with their transmissions also. I don't buy your argument about the 8 cylinders vs. 6 for the connecting rod. The Cummins is a beefer engine no doubt. It is used in industrial situations, as well as far more medium duty trucks, as opposed to either the duramax or powerstroke. And here's my last bit of evidence concerning the engines - there are many examples of people converting GM's and Fords to Cummins. How many examples are there of people converting other trucks to a Powerstroke or to a Duramax? There aren't. I said it before, and I'll say it again, I personally feel there's nothing wrong with a Duramax or with a Powerstroke. But there is no doubt that the Cummins is the better engine in terms of potential, durability and reliability - history don't lie.

Smalltimer1
03-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't buy your argument about the 8 cylinders vs. 6 for the connecting rod. The Cummins is a beefer engine no doubt. It is used in industrial situations, as well as far more medium duty trucks, as opposed to either the duramax or powerstroke.

Basic physics tells us that the same load distributed over more surfaces means less stress per unit (rod). Therefore, the PSD and D-Max rods do not need the mass the Cummins rods do to handle the same amount of stress, you can't deny and defy common physics. You don't hear of PSD's and Duramax's throwing rods so the rod argument is a moot point.

And here's my last bit of evidence concerning the engines - there are many examples of people converting GM's and Fords to Cummins. How many examples are there of people converting other trucks to a Powerstroke or to a Duramax? There aren't. I said it before, and I'll say it again, I personally feel there's nothing wrong with a Duramax or with a Powerstroke. But there is no doubt that the Cummins is the better engine in terms of potential, durability and reliability - history don't lie.

As far as the conversion aspect goes, the 12V Cummins is the only one used because of its lack of electrical controls, which is good in some aspects. Ford and GM never had a mechanically injected engine (6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI, 6.2, 6.5) that could spin the rpm's the 12V can without valve float, though I've seens several impressive examples of each relatively speaking. Very few 24V Cummins ever get converted due to the complex wiring systems needed to control it, the very same reason PSD's and D-Max engines don't get put in other trucks as well, though I've seen about a dozen or so older '67-'79 F-250's with PSD's in them. Lots of those '67-'79's also have IDI's in them.

Sure the Cummins blows away the IDI's in all aspects, but the PSD I think is about on the same level as the Cummins as far as reliability and durability (relative to the level of PM performed on both), the aftermarket hasn't really focused on the PSD's like they have the Cummins though for power potential.

And for your remark on commercial uses, please look at the F-650 and F-750 with the PSD's, both 7.3's and 6.0's, and International trucks with the T444E (7.3) and VT-365 (6.0). I have a friend who works at the Coca-Cola warehouse here in Raleigh and he drives these trucks around the yard to be loaded, and most of their trucks are T444E powered Internationals with well over 500k on them still going strong.

Again I didn't say the Cummins was a bad engine, I was just pointing out that there are other viable alternatives out there.

Randy J
03-17-2006, 02:26 PM

Again I didn't say the Cummins was a bad engine, I was just pointing out that there are other viable alternatives out there.

I don't disagree with that either. And I'm not accusing the powerstroke or duramax of throwing rods. However, there is no doubt that the cummins is more heavily constructed compared to the other 2 alternatives.

lawnmaniac883
03-17-2006, 05:33 PM
The cummins has a better design with the inline 6 as opposed to a V-8 diesel...Duramax pistons look like a gassers, cummins pistons look like a friggin big rigs.