PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about newer F-450

Gravel Rat
03-12-2006, 01:15 AM
I'am thinking of trying to find a good used 99-2000 (my price range) truck I would like to have a 4x4 and diesel if I can find one. I'am in the process of building new dumping flatdeck and before I start ripping off the deck off my 95 F-450 I would look for a 99 or newer 450.

What my thinking is buy a 99 F-450 2wd and do a 4x4 conversion on it instead of paying a overly inflated price of a 4x4.

What do you guys think of the 99 or newer F-450s ?

I never owned a "Superduty" body style truck.

I don't know what it would cost me to do the 4x4 conversion as I can do it myself its just the parts might be expensive like the front axle.

What I'am after is the newer F-450s have bigger brakes than my 95 F-450 the 19.5 tires last longer. I also like that the newer F-450s have straight frame rails so I can make my dumping flatdeck lower so its not so high to load.

Right now with my 95 by the time I get the deck mounted its going to be 9"s above the frame which puts the loading height high.

Also what is your guys thoughts on the V-10 I know they are hard on fuel but I can find V-10 F-450 4x4s for a reasonable price.

My whole goal is I got to get a 4x4 no more messing around with a 2wd if I'am going to go back into rubbish removal and going into tough places.

Any opinions