PDA

View Full Version : copper poisioning in turf

donal
03-12-2006, 05:58 AM
I have a customer who continuously has chlorotic grass under her apple trees. Its not lack of water or fertilizer, and there seems to be no insect problems. She says she sprays the trees with a copper spray every year. I'm thinking the copper may have built up in the soil and is causing turf poisoning or changing the availability of other nutrients in the soil, and so affecting the turf nutritional status. Can anybody advise on the symptoms of copper poisoning in turf or have an on-line link that i can read up about it.

Grassmechanic
03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I would think that if it is copper in the soil, the tree would be suffering as well. Without a proper soil test, it would be hard to diagnose.

muddstopper
03-12-2006, 12:11 PM
You could possibly be right with the copper. Altho it isnt as much posioning as it is an excess of copper. With frequent copper applications your customer has probably exceeded the laws of the Minimum and Maximum. for every excess of a certain nutrient there will be a deficiency in another. There is a minimum nutrient requirement for every plant, meaning that without that nutrient amount the plant wont survive. Applying one nutrient only or an excess of one nutrient results in a maximum. the maximum amount is the amount that will lock up other nutrients that the plant needs. The resulting chlorotic systems is probably a result of to much copper which is preventing other necessary nutrients from being available to the plants. A soil test that checks for micro nutrients as well as NPK will be necessary in order to correct the deficient nutrients. Simply treating the chlorotic systems will only lead to other maximums amounts of nutrients and not cure the real nutrient deficiencies. The copper is probably blocking the iron as well as the boron, zinc, manganiese ,and potassium