PDA

View Full Version : In the Trenches

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Some jobs you never can tell until you dig things up. To be honest the 4 Ficus trees should have been a dead giveaway. Anyway, Mr and Mrs new home owner want a pool and a backyard that doesn't drop to 3 feet to the fence. Fence is on top of old limestone retaining wall built by "smash and grab" developer. The city and the Water Board should never have allowed any of the probs this site has but me being the idiot I am, said I'd do it...in the middle of a heat wave.

We are working from the high side and none of the neighbours want anything to do with the job even though its in their best interests. All three neighbours have pools so we have safety issues when fences are down. The existing wall cannot be surcharged by our modifications. The existing wall, as we found out after excavating, is a "mudguard" which means its all nice looking on the outside and its full of ***t underneath. The wall had some recon on the face but the backing was all busted up natural stone, poorly installed. The ficus roots got in everywhere. The drainage manhole was too low and had to be raised. On the downside of the original wall there is an 8 foot drop to the swimming pool. To put the new pool in for Mr & Mrs new owner we have to install concrete pylons along the back of the wall. All this in temps over 100 for most of the time.

Up the top of the trench was OK but downstairs it was over 107 deg F when i checked oneday.

First pic shows the trench we dug, of course there is not enough room for all the spoil so that has to be run to the front, making a big mess.

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Second pic is prepping up the corner. We have to add backing blocks from below the footing of the existing wall and raise the top of the wall by two courses, which is about 28". The sewer line is always in the way. The discolouration on my shirt is not cause I just took a shower:

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Here we are boxing out around the drainage manhole (which is a handy thing to have in your backyard:rolleyes: ). The original arrangement basically used the well liners as part of the retaining wall!

Don't mind Paul our gifted stone mason...hes an OH&S walking nightmare.

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 09:11 AM
This just shows the blocks coming up to try and make a silk purse out of a pile of rubble.

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 09:15 AM
This last one shows us getting to the top of the existing wall with the fence now removed. Behind the palm is a swimming pool way lower. We just have to add a couple of courses to this and put in some new fencing. Then we can turn the corner and dig up between the two houses. That will cut off two/from access so its a logistic nightmare. Hope some of you are getting a good chuckle out of this.

orionkf
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Great pics, looks like lotsa fun!

I was just wondering though...107 in the hole, and LONG sleeves??

Squizzy246B
03-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Great pics, looks like lotsa fun!

I was just wondering though...107 in the hole, and LONG sleeves??

Ever seen an Arab in shorts and a T-shirt?. Better to keep the sun off.:)

YardPro
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
don't envy you on that one...

good luck... sucker..LOL

cgland
03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Squizz - Are you playing a gameboy or what?:laugh: That must be one tough shovel to hold you up like that!

LOL

Chris

sheshovel
03-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Squizz,, attach a tarp overhead to protect you from the beating sun..then hook you up a fan with a long extention cord and put it down there to curculate the air..you will love it and it wont be in the way if you do it right.You have no Idea what a difference this can make when it comes to comfort and productivity on jobs like this..Please take the time to give it a try and tell me how much you love me for the suggestion later bby!

Squizzy246B
03-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Oh Brother..I just love this forum..you can feel the compassion. Ok Ok

Squizz,, attach a tarp overhead to protect you from the beating sun..then hook you up a fan with a long extention cord and put it down there to curculate the air..you will love it and it wont be in the way if you do it right.You have no Idea what a difference this can make when it comes to comfort and productivity on jobs like this..

I have lots of ideas about productivity and they don't include being in a trench with no breeze...but they do involve kicking Johnny out of his air-conditioned, radio equiped comfortable Kubota. The tarp is great idea...shade cloth is better but for getting a 550lb block dropped through it every 5 mins it would be terrific. Sorry sweets, this is West Australia not Idaho..if it could have worked we would have done it by now.

Squizz - Are you playing a gameboy or what? That must be one tough shovel to hold you up like that!

Gameboy...are you kidding..its X-box..get with it man..and the shovel is bent from the load:rolleyes:

don't envy you on that one...

good luck... sucker..LOL

There's one born every day...and I've been born again.:dizzy:

sheshovel
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
WELL exuuuuse me for the frickin suggestion ya big PLONKER

Squizzy246B
03-13-2006, 09:56 AM
WELL exuuuuse me for the frickin suggestion ya big PLONKER

ROFL...Settle Petal....don't take my fence:) "PLONKER", haven't heard that one for ages LMAO. Hows about sending over a big umbrella?

sheshovel
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
As long as you let me twirl it for ya I will!
No seriously I was stricken with a bad case of heat exaustion one year and I have a hard time with the sun now..You should see me dragging canopys all around my jobsites and running fans ..people think I am nuts and ya know what..they are right but I stay cool and don't fall down dead at work.

AND not only that if youy attached the "shade cloth" to the above fences you would have still had room to drop your blocks under them...

Squizzy246B
03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
As long as you let me twirl it for ya I will!
No seriously I was stricken with a bad case of heat exaustion one year and I have a hard time with the sun now..You should see me dragging canopys all around my jobsites and running fans ..people think I am nuts and ya know what..they are right but I stay cool and don't fall down dead at work.

AND not only that if youy attached the "shade cloth" to the above fences you would have still had room to drop your blocks under them...

Oh OK...I'll even get you a tall drink with an little umbrelly. Its not a funny topic. When I first started working with my biz partner John we were building walls for another guy. It was geeting really hot oneday and this guy started telling us to put another mix on, get so more blocks etc etc..I just walked off and started packing the tools in the trailer and then went home. The rest of the crew followed me. The guy stayed and tried to work...he spent two days on a drip in hospital...I finished the wall.

The fence in the pic's is now gone so we could bring the wall up higher and the last couple of days have been perfect. One more day on the blocks and then its swimming pool digging time...not soon enough either. On the hot days I drinking over two gallons of water.

desertrat
03-13-2006, 09:29 PM
In Tucson, it gets pretty hot. I wear shorts, a tee shirt and a long sleave shirt, and a big hat. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. I start off with a Gatorade, drink half and keep adding water until there is no color and then I get another. The trick is to drink enough, but not to much. New guys start slamming water and Gatorade, and then they puke. You have to pace yourself, and remember that in the summer we work 12-14hr. days, so going out fast and drinking a lot will not work. Pace yourself, and just keep going. I loose 5-7lbs a day, and gain it all back in the evening with water( and beer). I work with Mexicans and they know how to work through the heat. The problem is, late in the day it is difficult to do work that takes thinking. I try to do the thinking early, and the grunt stuff later. Of course later, it is hotter, but at 5pm. I have a hard time figuring out GPM, water pressure, figuring out why something isn't level, or the best spot for a plant. The human body is amazing, and it will adapt. Oh, if it drops below 35 degrees, and is raining, I stay home.

Squizzy246B
03-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Update time, the weather has been kinda...kinda cooler.

First pic shows the access down the side of the house....well its really just to annoy GR since he loves Cat so much:rolleyes: . The access was OK until I had to reverse up here over 225 times. Just love these jobs...off to see the chiropractor

Second pic shows where we have turned the corner and exposed the rest of the old wall. It was in great condition so we decided to hack some of it out and do some repairs.

Third pic shows the old fence before we took it down!

Fourth pic shows the high quality stone work we had to contend with.

Squizzy246B
03-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Pic no 5 (041) in this series shows the poor soles next door having to put up with us noisy dusty tradestype people. That pool cost $88K BTW.

No 6 (043) is our finished MRW, the other side is more appealing.

No 7 (048) We loaded out 145 cubic yards from this site.

Pic No 8 (050) is just cause this is what I love a 4in1 for...coming downhill to a larger truck, just hit the thumb roller and let it go...lovely. The slope down was a real butt clencher until I cut a bit out. No the place to get carried away overfilling the bucket.

Squizzy246B
03-17-2006, 08:52 AM
and heres the last couple until we get the pool in. First one shows the demographics....the second is us roughing out for the pool. We have to put the mini in the bottom and drill down another 6 feet for concrete piers...that should be fun considering the limestone we have already pulled out of here...and now the pool is dug you can't swing a cat...or a Cat for that matter:)

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
u sure do get the crappy jobs from time to time but i bet u made so nice money

Squizzy246B
03-17-2006, 09:01 AM
u sure do get the crappy jobs from time to time but i bet u made so nice money

Its a dirty job..:D payup

PurpHaze
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Very strange idea just came to me Squiz. I always thought of Australia as being this wide open big country with all this room for outback, kangaroos, dingos and salt water crocs. Then I look at these pics with all the houses stacked close to each other and realize you guys are just transplanted North Americans. :laugh:

BTW... nice pics. :clapping:

Dirty Water
03-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Are you going to form and pour the pool or are you subbing that to a dedicated pool company?

sheshovel
03-17-2006, 10:21 PM
actually Austrailia was colonized by the english to use as a penal colony..and that they did..all the worst crijminals that england and all of it's holdings had went to Austrailia to be keppt..then they all broke out and ya end up with guys like Squizz,TonyR,
and..and..oh whaat's his name....anyway that
is how it really happened

PurpHaze
03-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I always liked the Aussie outlaw that used armor... Beatty?? or something like that. Am I wrong remembering a movie about him in the 60's or 70's with Mick Jagger???

Oops... It was Ned Kelly. Got him mixed up with actor Ned Beatty. LOL.

Hey... and the movie's name was "Ned Kelly" and it did star Mick in 1970. I just remember seeeing it in a little theater in Corona Del Mar.

Squizzy246B
03-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Very strange idea just came to me Squiz. I always thought of Australia as being this wide open big country with all this room for outback, kangaroos, dingos and salt water crocs. Then I look at these pics with all the houses stacked close to each other and realize you guys are just transplanted North Americans. :laugh:

BTW... nice pics. :clapping:

Now thems fightin words pardner!!!:laugh: . We are very slowly learning how to litigate against each other though. Go have a look at California then have a look at our beach houses, its the same BS just on a lesser scale.

My father has just been forced by the law to remove his "roo Bar" from the front of his 4 x 4...it might be dangerous???...he lives 500 miles up the coast (in the bush) and I can tell you from experience that hitting a 140 lb roo at 60 mph is a dangerous thing. Do they have roo bars in California??

Its not all bad, we still live an a 1/4 acre block that has room for a bloke to drive his skid steer into the back yard should he feel the need....:) ;) Uh -oh...the back yard..Oh well, that explains why the missus is still cranky...tore it up about 3 years ago and still haven't done anything yet!

I'll get around to it....shortly.....:dizzy:

Squizzy246B
03-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Are you going to form and pour the pool or are you subbing that to a dedicated pool company?

The owner already has a pool guy, we work fairly closley with him on some of the more challenging jobs.

Squizzy246B
03-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I just remember seeeing it in a little theater in Corona Del Mar.

I thought that was a beer...:dizzy: ;)

Ned Kelly - http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/nedkelly/

PurpHaze
03-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I thought that was a beer...:dizzy: ;)

CDM is an area of Newport Beach down in the OC. :usflag:

Ned Kelly - http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/nedkelly/

Thanks for the URL. Stuff like this absolutely fascinates me. :clapping:

PurpHaze
03-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Now thems fightin words pardner!!!:laugh: . We are very slowly learning how to litigate against each other though. Go have a look at California then have a look at our beach houses, its the same BS just on a lesser scale.

As soon as they become litigation experts then there really won't be much separating us. :dancing:

My father has just been forced by the law to remove his "roo Bar" from the front of his 4 x 4...it might be dangerous???...he lives 500 miles up the coast (in the bush) and I can tell you from experience that hitting a 140 lb roo at 60 mph is a dangerous thing. Do they have roo bars in California??

Guys with the big 4x4s have hefty "brush guards" or sometime else on the front of their trucks. Don't know if these would be adequate for roos but I've seen a deer or two pushed out of the way with them. :weightlifter:

Its not all bad, we still live an a 1/4 acre block that has room for a bloke to drive his skid steer into the back yard should he feel the need....:) ;) Uh -oh...the back yard..Oh well, that explains why the missus is still cranky...tore it up about 3 years ago and still haven't done anything yet!

It would be utter shame if a guy couldn't get his skid steer in the bush or back yard. :laugh:

I'll get around to it....shortly.....:dizzy:

Never pi$$ off a honey-do list. :dizzy: :drinkup: