PDA

View Full Version : Utilities and compacting????

FIREMAN
04-25-2001, 09:58 PM
Here's one for you paver aces....the mini-creta wall that I mentioned in an earlier thread must be put in above the exact spot where the gas and water service run into the house. I have done a small sample dig to find out how deep these lines run. They are about 18-20 inches underground, meaning only about 6-8 inches below the bottom of the base for my wall. My question, is it safe to compact above utilities with so little room? Will I risk damage to the service pipes? Am I just paranoid????

greens1
04-26-2001, 03:07 PM
Water 18-20" underground ? It must stay pretty warm in NJ.
What I would do is run them through a steel pipe. If you are compacting the base, as you should, it would definatly crush the gas line. Also what are the lines made of, steel, copper ?
Jim L

BRL
04-26-2001, 11:24 PM
This is a great question. I used to work for an electrical contractor and buried plenty of utilities. We compacted all of the trenches we made but that was all steel or heavy PVC (schedule 40 or stronger). However, the gas lines that I've seen are plastic of some type, and don't seem to be as strong as the PVC we used, so I would be wary around them. The water lines I believe are usually some kind of steel, so that should be OK. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer for PSE&G and I sent this question to him. Hopefully he can find an answer & I'll post it if he succeeds.

FIREMAN
04-29-2001, 12:16 PM
thanks guys

FIREMAN
05-04-2001, 10:58 PM
I really hate to do this but I haven't gotten answers from Paul and Stonehenge yet so I am replying to my own thread hoping they will see it...I kinda feel like I'm cheating..lol

Stonehenge
05-05-2001, 12:26 AM
Fireman -

How tall is the wall you'll be putting in that's going directly over the lines (and do the lines run parallel to the ret. wall or perpendicular)?

When you did your test dig and found the lines, were they surrounded by sand or stone?

paul
05-05-2001, 06:14 AM
I would protect the gas pipe with a 4' section of PVC pipe cut to fit over it, water should be much deeper, if only 24" deep it would freeze, could it be something else? old gas pipe?

greens1
05-05-2001, 09:26 AM
What you are seeing is almost certainly not a water pipe. Possibly an old or existing irrigation line, coduit for wire, ect. Most water lines run about 8' underground and come up through the basement. If it was a water line at that depth it almost certainly would have frozen.

Schedual 80 cut out will work well.

Jim L