PDA

View Full Version : Square tank/Trash pump questions

joeE
03-12-2006, 03:17 PM
My concern with these systems is the sealer viscosity & sand. While Iam sure they will spray "A" sealer mix, I would like to know if they will spray "THE" mix that I use daily.
Here are some quotes from my manufactures handbook that covers all the
manufacture specification (M/S) for mixing & application of there product.
Total water used shall vary from 15-25 gal per 100 gal sealer.
Mineral aggregate shall be added at a rate of 3-6 lbs per gal sealer.
Mixture shall remain in constant agitation.
(this 4th quote is from a viscosity modifier for sand suspension product)
Continuous agitation is advisable but not necessary, periodic agitation is absolutely necessary, agitate at least every 30 minutes.
The questions I have are for those square tankers that use a sealer mix that is within there manufactures specification. If your using a lessor mix
(belowM/S grade) please dont reply to this post.

1.Will a trash pump spray a M/S mix of 20% water & 3 lb sand per gal?
2.Are you buying sealer from the manufacture so you KNOW the only water in it is yours?
3.What is the life span of the pump?
4.Will a square tank with recirculation agitation properly mix a M/S mix of 20%
water & 3 lb sand per without a stir stick?

thank you for your time
joeE

PPClockworks
03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Joe

Not sure of all the answers for your questions. I use sand and latex in mine and I use 2 lbs. My advice is call the manufacture for your answers. As I said I have used my for 4 years with minimal problems. I am going to need to replace my motor this year simply because it is tired. Yes I buy my coat from a manufacture they recommend 30% water in there mix it is done to there specifications.

Mdirrigation
03-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Those square plastic tanks are designed for the transportation of liquids. They are not designed for recirculating adigation . They are thin wall plastic.
300 gallons of sealer on the road with cars driving thru it is going to cost you a bundle . Sunlight makes plastic brittle . Sure they are cheap , I have 3 of them , strictly for holding material for jobs , I suck out the sealer and put it in a mechanically adjitated tank .

If you are serious about sealcoating , buy a professional set up . It will pay for itself very quickly .

joeE
03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
PPC
Latex?...your last post you said you used tarmax. The Vance Brothers site that I went to called for a federal grade of 15-25 % water for Protectar. It called for 20-25 % on Ultrablend It did not speak of sand, but I think the federal spec is min of 3 lbs per.
I guess there are a lot of guys that use a lessor grade but I dont. If you do 2 drives side buy side, one with 20% & 3 lbs per and one with 30% & 1-2 lbs per, there will be no difference at first but after 6-8 mo the difference will start to show. After 18 mo the difference will leap out at you.
I would like to hear from someone that uses a M/S mix of 20% & 3 lbs per in one of these systems, I already know what a salesman is gonna tell me.

Mdirrigation
03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
The federal spec RP 355e is the sealer itself , the amount of sand and the amount of water added are not part of the federal spec . The manufacturer makes the concentrated material to the specifications , the amount of water added by the contractor what ever the manufacturer recommends. Lots of guys add too much and some add too little

joeE
03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
You are correct, federal specification R-P-355e is in reference to the manufactured product (sealer that goes in your tank). A federal grade or standard is in reference to the manner in witch the contractor will perform the work. That the amount of water & sand added and coverage rate will all be within there grade or specification (sealer mix that comes out of your tank). The reason I mentioned it is because the V bros site didn't offer a mix chart of there own. It simply stated " federal grade requires 15-25 % dilution with water". So one might assume they are using a federal grade for aggregate rate as well. Go to the site & see for yourself.
Just curios, what dose your technical data book recommend for water & aggregate? Anyone else care to share that info?

PPClockworks
03-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Listen guys I am not here to debate with you on mix design. I just stated my experience with the machine. Sorry if you can't handle that I didn't spend thousand of dollars to do the samething you are doing. I use tarmax in mine because I have a bunch of friend sent me from Ohio. I also use sand so do or think what you will I am just stating facts as I use them. My jobs are always fantastic and I get alot of call backs plus I do alot from doing a job in a neighberhood. So all I can say is you do what you feel is best for you I am way to old to argue with anyone.

SealAndCoat
03-19-2006, 02:21 AM
As explained in my other posts, this is not a quality setup for mixing or applying sealer.

PPClockworks
03-19-2006, 02:20 PM
As explained in my other posts, this is not a quality setup for mixing or applying sealer.

I looked at your webpage of course your going to say that you don't want the competition these machines will give, and that is understandable. My dad alway said don't talk about someone till you've walked a mile in his shoes. So, I would say to you I do very good quality work and this machine has been and will keep being outstanding without question.

joeE
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
ppc
A little more debate on sealer mix design might be a good thing.
Seems like all the square tankers are saying- I know these systems work because I use one to seal with myself.
Seems like all the round tankers are saying- I mix this stuff every day all day long. I know how hard it is to mix & keep mixed a sand slurry. Cant be done with A sq tank & recurculating system.
So it seems that sealer mix design is the topic of debate.
You dont have to say your sorry for using less equipment to do the same thing that I do, because you dont do the same thing I do.
If you have been sealing drives for four years and have lots of return jobs, that tells me that you work hard & do a good job. Now imagine if you could get your jobs to last twice as long simply by changing your mix. You still do exactly the same work as always but the job last twice as long. That new job will have greater value to you and the customer. It will make you more competitive to existing & new coaters in your area. The small price increase for the higher quality mix is well worth it, but you will need to up grade your equipment.
Mdirrigation hit the nail when he said, lots of guys use to much water & some use to little.(tho I dont know any that use to little). One day I watched 2 guys in the sealer yard mix 250 gal sealer with 250 gal water. The mix had the viscosity of water, then they put in 5 gal of tarmax, that bulked it up so much it "looked" like a good mix. These guys are not coaters they are hacks. Tarmax is GREAT stuff when used properly.
If you want your sealer manufacture to warranty there product, they will want you to mix & apply it to there manufactures specifications.
Its my opinion that these systems require to much water & to little sand to work correctly. It is also my opinion that full time coaters spend the extra money on there equipment so they can properly mix, keep agitated and correctly apply a M/S grade sealer mix.