PDA

View Full Version : Embark PGR

southernlandscapespecial
03-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Has anyone ever used or know anything about Embark Herbicide as a plant growth regulator? Thanks

Grassmechanic
03-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Embark was one of the first growth regulators to come on market. It turns the grass brown when it is applied, similiar to drought stress in the summer (this was on KBG, you may have different grasses where you are). Anyways, I am not impressed with Embark, now that there are better PGR's on the market.

southernlandscapespecial
03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Mike. I was planning on using the Embark on shrubs such as, Indian Hawthornes, hollies, etc. Have you ever used it on shrubs?

Agri-AFC
03-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Has anyone ever used or know anything about Embark Herbicide as a plant growth regulator? Thanks

Are you planning on using it for turf or ornamentals or both?

southernlandscapespecial
03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
only for ornamentals

southernlandscapespecial
03-13-2006, 05:39 PM
It's Ok. You would be better off with ATRIMMEC on ornamentals...it's a PBI Gordon product.
Yea I figured atrimmec is the better of the 2 and it is a whole lot more expensive..lol Have you ever used either for ornamental use?

Agri-AFC
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Yea I figured atrimmec is the better of the 2 and it is a whole lot more expensive..lol Have you ever used either for ornamental use?
Yes it is more expensive but its a better product and I think your customers would be pleased with the results.

I have used both.

southernlandscapespecial
03-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Yes it is more expensive but its a better product and I think your customers would be pleased with the results.

I have used both. ok its a done deal atrimmec wins..I noticed your company sells herbicde...do yall sell atrimmec

DUSTYCEDAR
03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
look at cutless for growth control

southernlandscapespecial
03-13-2006, 07:33 PM
look at cutless for growth control
is cutless the brand name?

Grassmechanic
03-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Mike. I was planning on using the Embark on shrubs such as, Indian Hawthornes, hollies, etc. Have you ever used it on shrubs?
I assumed you were talking about turf. Attrimec is the best I've found for ornamentals. I've never used Embark on shrubs and I don't think I'd ever attempt it.

southernlandscapespecial
03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Yep..all branded products. No generics.
what is your price on atrimmec? Thanks

southernsprayguy
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
$249.70 per gallon

That's not a bad price for Atrimmec.

X-mow
03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Are PGRs hard to find locally in most places? I haven't been able to find a supplier in my area. I'm looking to try Atrrimec on some ornamentals this year.
Where are they available for order?

Lawn Lizards
03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
I have a Bermuda lawn that I have kept in excellent condition, but am looking to cut down my mowing during the 100 degree weather here in Florida. I am having trouble finding somewhere online I can order the Primo Maxx from. I do not have a license to spray commercially, but would like some for my own home. I found a place that sells the Embark for $125 per gal, but I am reading mix feelings about Embark on this forum. I need to purchase soon so any leads on somewhere to purchase Primo Maxx, if that is the highest recommended, I would REALLY appreciate it. Also, I would like some of that Atrimmec for my ornamentals. Thanks!

Dave

MMLawn
03-26-2006, 08:01 PM
I found a place that sells the Embark for $125 per gal, Thanks!

Dave

WHERE? and I'll take 10 gallons! Cause something sounds out of whack there as it is $325 a gallon here at all three places that carry it. You sure it isn't Imbark at the dollar store..... :laugh:

nelbuts
03-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I used Atrimec years ago and it was and is much better than Embark. However, the cost is prohibitive for me. This year I will be using Cutless. And yes that is the brand name.

MMLawn
03-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I used Atrimec years ago and it was and is much better than Embark. However, the cost is prohibitive for me. This year I will be using Cutless. And yes that is the brand name.

There should have been a marked difference because Atrimec is mainly for ornamentals and shrubs and Embark is for turf.,

Agri-AFC
03-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Cutless is a great product too.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Must be a random place in GA, but it is $125 for PBI Gordon's Embark. I just ordered some, in case your really do order 10 and they run out!! hahaha j/k, here is the site: http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?web=bugspray&outsidelink=search&value=

Type in Embark in the search bar on that page; it will come right up.

Do you know where I can purchase Atrimmec? Also, even though I just ordered the Embark, people say that it browns the turf a bit. I'm sure this goes away after a little bit, especially with some fertilizer. Thanks for the help!

MarcSmith
03-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I plan on tryiung some growth regs this year. we have several hillsides 30-40* slopes thwe we only cut once or twice a year with trimmers, loppers and machetes. I was wandering whay I could use on it to hlep keep stuff more in control and looking better.

I had though of a broadleaf herbicid to at least let the grass grow as opposed to everything

ThreeWide
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Primo Maxx is fantastic for Bermuda. I applied it on reel mowed properties in June, July, and August last year. The turf had never looked better.

You folks wanting to order Primo, Embark or anything for that matter can call Regal Chemical in Alpharetta, GA. They will ship it to you.

Also, if you don't have the ability to spray there is a new product available in granular form by Andersons. It is called Governor.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Dude, you are the man! I checked out the Andersons site for Governor. I am about to call the local distributor and load up. This will change my business, big time. I just need to get licensed to spray, finally! I have not had the interest in the license in the last 6 yrs, but I may need to do it for PGR's, at least! I appreciate the info on the granular PGR!

ThreeWide
03-27-2006, 01:09 PM
You will also need a license to apply a PGR, regardless of form.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Even though I can spread granular fertilizer? Is it considered a pesticide or other? I will check on that in my state (FL). Thanks for the heads up.

MMLawn
03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Must be a random place in GA, but it is $125 for PBI Gordon's Embark. I just ordered some, in case your really do order 10 and they run out!! hahaha j/k, here is the site: http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?web=bugspray&outsidelink=search&value=

Type in Embark in the search bar on that page; it will come right up.

Do you know where I can purchase Atrimmec? Also, even though I just ordered the Embark, people say that it browns the turf a bit. I'm sure this goes away after a little bit, especially with some fertilizer. Thanks for the help!

I'm ordering them today, thanks. :drinkup:

As to the brownig effect just mix in some fe (Iron)

Agri-AFC
03-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Also, if you don't have the ability to spray there is a new product available in granular form by Andersons. It is called Governor.
Governor is a wonderful product. It's not too expensive but well worth the money. Plus, you don't get that bronzing appearance that Primo may cause on turf.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Mike, I contacted my local John Deere Landscapes and he is ordering it for me. It is only $31.07 per $50lb bag and he said it covers 6300 sq ft. They never cover what they say and I have 6800 sq ft, so I will get two anyway. On another note, I meant to ask you how bad Embark browns the grass. I know I read and you said to mix in some iron fertilizer with it, so I will do that. Is it just an initial browning of the grass that will go away after a couple mowings? How often should I put down the Governor? I am in the transition from annual rye back to bermuda as we speak, so I need to let the rye dye off and the bermuda to get more aggressive. In May, the Bermuda starts to really take off. Ok, enough Q's for now. Sorry. You have been so helpful. Thanks!

Oh, I noticed that they won't ship the Embark to CA. Isn't that where you are? It was only $118 per jug. I have one of those on the way. hahaha, one more Q, can I use the Embark and Governor if needed? Thanks again!

Dave

MMLawn
03-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Naw, I'm in NC.....no way I'd live on the Left Coast.... :laugh:

If you use Cheleted 12-0-0 Iron mixed with the PGR you shouldn't see any browning at all. I haven't.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Mike, you're the man. I am looking forward to the Embark and the Governor. I will experiment with them. It is ok if I have a German Shepherd, right? Should be safe with pets? How often do I apply? I read that it's only a couple/few times per year. I guess the product will tell me. Thanks again!

Dave

ThreeWide
03-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Mike, you're the man. I am looking forward to the Embark and the Governor. I will experiment with them. It is ok if I have a German Shepherd, right? Should be safe with pets? How often do I apply? I read that it's only a couple/few times per year. I guess the product will tell me. Thanks again!

Dave

In North GA, I used Primo Maxx 3 times last year in June, July, and August. My guess is that you will need at least 4 if not 5 applications in Florida. My theory is that once soil temps reach 75 degrees, you should start applying to the Bermuda. This is when the Bermuda has completely grown in, but the growth rate begins to get out of control. The key is to mow it to the desired height just before applying the PGR. Within 10 DAT, you will start to see the growth rate slow down. I was mowing Bermuda at 1 inch with a reel on a 7-day schedule, and the amount of clippings produced were very moderate. It seemed that Primo Maxx lasted about 4 weeks before it required another application.

Try that without a PGR. The year before I was mowing the same lawns twice per week.

Lawn Lizards
03-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Sweet, thank you. I have Embark on the way and also ordered some Governor. It will be fun to experiment with the PGR, as I never have before. Without the PGR, between June and Sept/Oct, I have to mow it 2x per week at 4 hrs each time (includes weedeating, etc.). I use a McLane 5hp 25" walk-behind. Gets pretty tiring, 8 hours a week. If I could get it on a 7 day mowing and the clippings aren't bad, I would be in heaven!!! Thanks for the input!

Dave

ThreeWide
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
One $40 application of the PGR is going to save you 4 mowings per month.

Pretty good I'd say.

chimmygew
05-26-2006, 10:50 AM
How is the Embark working for you guys? I just got some in. Go to this link and check the price.

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=68576

MMLawn
05-28-2006, 03:52 PM
We have tried both Proxy and Embark this season and too say that I am very disappointed in the results that we have seen thus far would be an understatement (and YES it was applied at the recommended rates). We are going to try some apps again this week, but so far all I see is a waste of $500.00

chimmygew
05-28-2006, 05:02 PM
What type of sprayer you using to put yours down? What are you mixing in with it?

MMLawn
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
We used both a skid sprayer and backpacks (for places the skid couldn't get to). We mixed in 12-0-0 Cle liq Iron to combat any possible yellowing as many say the Embark sometimes produces some slight yellowing.

TMlawncare
05-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Governor is a wonderful product. It's not too expensive but well worth the money. Plus, you don't get that bronzing appearance that Primo may cause on turf.
Primo Maxx does not leave any bronzing, you must be thinking of Embark.

southernsprayguy
05-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Primo Maxx is fantastic for Bermuda. I applied it on reel mowed properties in June, July, and August last year. The turf had never looked better.

You folks wanting to order Primo, Embark or anything for that matter can call Regal Chemical in Alpharetta, GA. They will ship it to you.

You could try mixing cutless and primo. It's the bomb. You could get a better price from Prosource One rather than using Regal or Lesco.

bug-guy
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
for ornamentals try cutless by seapro

southernsprayguy
06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
for ornamentals try cutless by seapro
Do you mean Sepro?

chimmygew
06-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, I applied my Embark 3 1/2 weeks ago. Mixed in some liquid iron. My yard isn't growing, but the tips look burnt and it has taken on a yellowish kinda look. I have since applied another app. of iron and fertilized and watered the crap out of it. I applied at the recommended rate on the container. Anyone have a suggestion on getting it greener?

chimmygew
06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Anyone have any suggestions?

Grassmechanic
06-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a normal experience with Embark. You are probably just going to have to let it run it's course. Try Primo in the future.

golfguy
06-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Primo will cause a chlorotic effect on Poa annua. As previously mentioned, a shot of iron or nitrogen mixed in with it should mask the effect. As a MAXX formulation it is important that it be the last thing mixed into the tank. The longetivity of the product directly reflects the rate at which it is put out. I love the stuff, just wish it was cheaper up here.

I did Testing for Proxy this spring to control the seedhead on my Poa annua putting greens. The product is currently in the registration process up here and they are collecting data on it at select sites. In my opinion (for my application) it will be money well spent. The reduction in seedheads on my nine treated greens was 75-95%. This however was just the cosmetic effect of it all. At seeding time the Poa uses so many reserves to push the seeds out that it leaves a weak plant at the end of the cycle. The treated greens do not have this problem. the roots have remained down and the plants are healthier then I have ever witnessed post seeding. If the registration goes through it will be at the top of my list for purchases!

Grassmechanic
06-17-2006, 07:56 AM
I've had my share of tryng to maintain poa on greens. I finally gave up and used Prograss on it. Wiped the poa out and overseeded with bent. The golfers were a little upset at first, but by the time the bent came in, they were extremely happy with the greens. The ball rolls so much nicer on a pure bent green.:drinkup:

Tscape
06-17-2006, 08:04 AM
I've had my share of tryng to maintain poa on greens. I finally gave up and used Prograss on it. Wiped the poa out and overseeded with bent. The golfers were a little upset at first, but by the time the bent came in, they were extremely happy with the greens. The ball rolls so much nicer on a pure bent green.:drinkup:

Where can you purchase Prograss?

Grassmechanic
06-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Where can you purchase Prograss?
I purchased it right around the corner from you - Turfgrass, Inc. out of South Lyon. Mind you, this was a few years back.

golfguy
06-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Maintaining Poa greens will make a man out of you. Besides, the poa is going to come back and in 5 years time out compete the bent anyways.

Grassmechanic
06-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Maintaining Poa greens will make a man out of you. Besides, the poa is going to come back and in 5 years time out compete the bent anyways.
Guess you've never tried Prograss then, eh??

Tscape
06-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I purchased it right around the corner from you - Turfgrass, Inc. out of South Lyon. Mind you, this was a few years back.

Thank you, sir. I'll give it a try!