PDA

View Full Version : Early post weed control

gqnine44
03-12-2006, 05:04 PM
This will be our first year offering fertilizer treatments. We will be getting started with 19-0-6 Dimension here in a week or two and was wondering about post weed control on that visit. Lesco guy said to do nothing and wait for round 2 but I would think a lot of customers would like to kill off the chickweed ASAP. I have also noticed dandelions starting to grow a little in mulch beds but the main problem will be chickweed. What do you guys do? Thanks!

MudslinginFX4
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I've been spraying 3-way after I put down my 19-0-6 dimension. I will also spray some 3-way if needed on the second applciation. The weeds here have been bad because we had a mild winter.

teeca
03-12-2006, 07:51 PM
lesco is kinda-correct. in the north the we tend to treat weeds on r2. one reason is that as cold and as extream as the temps get, it makes it harder to gain control.

indyturf
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
chickweed is really hard to control in the early spring because of low temps. even if you spray it you wont get a total kill. I always wait until 2nd round unless it near the end of round 1 and I wont be back for 6 weeks. then I spot treat it.

earthtrends
03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
ecm do you use speedzone in your area

gqnine44
03-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Speedzone and Strike 3 - Will they work now when temps are low? If so where do you think they can be purchased.

Xterminator
03-13-2006, 07:58 AM
you need ester for cold weather

ThreeWide
03-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Speedzone is an ester product.

It can be found at Lesco or many other distributors who sell products from PBI Gordon.

It works well in cooler temps.

gqnine44
03-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Lesco catalog shows Three Way with Ester II, I think I will try that when we put down the Dimension. Thanks for your help. The weather has been very warm and wet the last few days and it seems like the weeds are going nuts already. I know ground temps are still pretty low but I probably should get round one down by the middle of next week.

OrganicFert
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
What is up with Lesco...the company is just going down hill. They said do nothing the first round... So tell me, what is the difference between your last round 1 and your first round 2? Idiots.

You need to manage your lawns for what they are. You cannot cross reference round # to your application. You MUST cross reference your prior apps and lawn history to your applications.

Good Luck.

vegomatic40
03-15-2006, 07:12 AM
I use Turflon Ester during cold weather. Gives excellent control on Winter-annual broadleaves. I prefer it since I can mix it in with my 3-way selective and alter the rates depending on temps. at the time or omit it altogether if temps rise suddenly for a few days. That way I don't get locked in to a specific rate of a "pre-mixed" ester such as Speedzone. Kinda pricey but will knock the crap out of tough-to-control annuals such as ground ivy,wild violet etc. and after adding it all up I wind up paying less/acre with superior flexibility.