PDA

View Full Version : Good price for 4 yards of mulch put out?

boxoffire
03-12-2006, 07:27 PM
What's a fair price to put out 4 yards of the red colored wood chips mulch around the parameter of this house and getting it for $25/yard to be delivered by my trailer in 1 or 2 loads 7 miles from the jobsite? Can back into his driveway and shovel into wheelbarrel to distribute. Thanks for suggestions.

Adam

Xterminator
03-12-2006, 07:28 PM
85.00 to 90.00 per yard

jblawns123
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Yup.........

Jpocket
03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
I'd charge around $300 for the job.

Xterminator
03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I'd charge around $300 for the job.
Why charge 300.00 when your paying 25.00 per yrd you need to make money too

Team-Green L&L
03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Some questions are better left unanswered...if you're not at the level to bid a mulch job (only math) then you may want to study your trade a tad, but here in Ohio mulch sells at $23 and is installed at $85 yd. Please refrain from posts that make you look inexperienced. This is not a "lawn care for dummies" site. If you want one of those try Gopher.com.

Team-Green L&L
03-12-2006, 07:54 PM
JPocket has to be the guy paying $7 an hour to his guys or he'd go broke!!!!

RedWingsDet
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I'd charge $360 for the job. an extra $100 if they want fabric, mainly because I hate using fabric, and it doesnt help any, so if im going to do it, im going to make it worth my while. I charge $25 extra per yard if I use fabric.

BTW: you can fit all 4 yards in a 6ft pickup bed. I've made 5YD fit in mine before. Just build some sides.

M RASCOE&SONS
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Some questions are better left unanswered...if you're not at the level to bid a mulch job (only math) then you may want to study your trade a tad, but here in Ohio mulch sells at $23 and is installed at $85 yd. Please refrain from posts that make you look inexperienced. This is not a "lawn care for dummies" site. If you want one of those try Gopher.com.
YOU DONT HAVE TO INSULT THE GUY HE JUST ASKED A QUESTION ,IF YOU GOT SOMETHING TO HELP THE GUY OUT DO IT BUT THIS KIND OF RESPONCE IS FOR THE BIRDS.:usflag:

M RASCOE&SONS
03-12-2006, 08:05 PM
What's a fair price to put out 4 yards of the red colored wood chips mulch around the parameter of this house and getting it for $25/yard to be delivered by my trailer in 1 or 2 loads 7 miles from the jobsite? Can back into his driveway and shovel into wheelbarrel to distribute. Thanks for suggestions.

Adam
ADAM I WOULD TELL YOU TO GET SOME SAMPLES OF THE PRODUCTS AND SHOW THE HOMEOWNER BEING ITS ONLY 4 YDS IT SHOULD BE PRETTY EASY TO DO .FOR 06 I WANT TO GET $75 TO $90 PER YARD INSTALLED SO GO WITH THAT AND BID ANYWHERE FROM $300 TO $360 GOOD LUCK AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION..:weightlifter: :drinkup:

Xterminator
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Nobody said he asked a stupid question just that 300.00 is to cheap

RedWingsDet
03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Nobody said he asked a stupid question just that 300.00 is to cheap

Every area is different man. For instance, come to SE Michigan and you will say the same thing about lawn prices. People are cutting 5k sq ft lawns for $14 around here. However my min. is $17, which ALOT of people will still say is cheap, but if you wanna work you have to charge that. If the guys who say they dont drop the gate for less than $35 came here, they would be out of business because no one would hire them.

Just be glad that in your area your able to charge $90 per yard and quit worry about other people who dont live close to you are charging!

Xterminator
03-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Im paying 8.00 to 12.00 for Mulch and charge 75.00 if He is paying 25.00 85.00 to 90.00 per yard is marketable unless you dont have overhead like insurance and equipment costs not to mention delivery

Jpocket
03-12-2006, 08:37 PM
JPocket has to be the guy paying $7 an hour to his guys or he'd go broke!!!!

Your right that is cheap! Should be closer to $400

Lux Lawn
03-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Every area is different man. For instance, come to SE Michigan and you will say the same thing about lawn prices. People are cutting 5k sq ft lawns for $14 around here. However my min. is $17, which ALOT of people will still say is cheap, but if you wanna work you have to charge that. If the guys who say they dont drop the gate for less than $35 came here, they would be out of business because no one would hire them.

Just be glad that in your area your able to charge $90 per yard and quit worry about other people who dont live close to you are charging!

Agreed........Its all relative to where you live & if its a commercial property or a residential property.Some area's around here for that size job all you will get is $300 max...then some of the higher price developments you can get a little more.

Stafford Landscaping
03-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I'd charge $360 for the job. an extra $100 if they want fabric, mainly because I hate using fabric, and it doesnt help any, so if im going to do it, im going to make it worth my while. I charge $25 extra per yard if I use fabric.

BTW: you can fit all 4 yards in a 6ft pickup bed. I've made 5YD fit in mine before. Just build some sides.

Thank you saying you hate useing fabric I thought I was the only one who hates the stuff. It's ok for stone or pine needles but for mulch I don't see the need Isn't mulch biodegradable anyway and the weeds grow in the stuff anyhow.

cedarcroft
03-13-2006, 05:59 AM
For a business owner with lawn accounts, mulch is a great moneymaker. However, I believe that you need to take care of good customers. If one of my good customers had me doing 4 yards of mulch I would charge $300 plus delivery and tax. the job would take me (and my 2 guys) about an hour. so my material cost for that job is about $75. my overhead costs are about $100 an hour including labor (based on a 10 hour day), so my total cost figuring in travel time is about $200. That leaves $100 profit plus the delivery charge which would be about $40 in your scenario. not terrible, but not killing it either. I factor all labor including mine into overhead so if the margins are tight on a job, I still get paid. If your expenses are lower, you can still charge the same and make more. thats just good business. there are obvious factors involved as well. like time. If we hustle, we could get done in less than the alloted time. or if I dumped the mulch on the site along with a laborer and tools and went elswhere to do another job. you need to figure out your overhead (every dollar you spend monthly) and break it down by that and materials and you will have a clear picture of what you are making.
But anywhere from $75-100 per yard seems to be fair for mulch jobs.

boxoffire
03-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Thank you people for your suggestions. I am a novice. I work alone so I get all the money and this will be like my 4th or 5th mulch job. First one with this type mulch. I did some rocks for a lady a few weeks ago and have done pine straw and cedar. If I can do it in half a day and charge around $300, that sounds fair to me. I'll make $200 on it anyway. Now if I was a larger company with plenty of work and overhead with employees, I understand having to get every dollar to stay in business.

I'll have to check out gopher.com. Ya think Bill Murray from Caddy Shack might have some pest control ideas for my other account on that site? :laugh:

:drinkup: everyone!

chriscraft
03-13-2006, 11:39 AM
In our are (detroit) we cahrge appr $75.00 per yard but go as low as $60.00 10 or more. but many people just dbl the mark up so they are at $50.00. i cant afford 50 as we are legit. I cant charge much more without feeling guilty lol. But i have eqpt to move the much fairly quick and a system to do it fast. it really depends on your area drive time amt of mulch, how far back do yuo have go, is area fenced in where you can jsut get a small barrow thru the gate? all these need to be factored in

cedarcroft
03-13-2006, 08:29 PM
one more thing:
you still have overhead. it doesn't matter if you are solo or a multi million dollar operation.
do you pay rent to live? do you make phone calls to customers? do you put gas in your vehicles and equipment? do you buy a new pair of workboots each year?
if the answer is yes to any of these questions, you have overhead. ANY dollar you spend is overhead. break down your monthly expenses into weekly, daily and hourly and you will know how much you need to make to stay afloat and actually get ahead. if you don't do this, you will flounder around aimlessly never getting ahead financially. I am new at this but if you run your business like a "real" business, you will be successful.

rockandroller
03-13-2006, 09:22 PM

This site is supposed to helpful and informative. If you don't want to give advice then don't. But don't waste your time and everyone elses by putting people down.

I get mulch here for $19/yd. and charge $70/per yd install if it's straight forward. If I have difficult access of have to do extra bed clean-up, then it's more..

sheshovel
03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
75X4 + 2 DELIVERIES AT 40.00 EA
I am getting 380.00 Without tax.
Cuz I don't know your tax rate..
Here total job with tax would be $407.55.. I round up always total job $408.00
as was mentioned above if faced with difficult access the price goes up accordingly.
And don't think you can't tax deliveries.
.you have to pay tax on everything you use to make that delivery..you charge tax on that delivery

boxoffire
03-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks cedarcroft, I think you hit the nail on the head. If you want to become successful financially doing this work you have to charge to pay your own bills. I'd never make it with the amount of accounts I have and what I charge if I was on my own. I'd have to learn to charge a bit more, do good work (which I feel I do) and earn a good reputation around the area. And if I don't get the job, just look for bigger and better ones I guess. My problem probably is that I have the luxary of not worrying about my next meal at this point. If I did have to worry, then what's that old saying you have to spend money to make money. Well I'd have to advertise advertise advertise and hope the calls would come in regularly. Thanks again. The guy hasn't called me back on my price of $300 for everything so maybe he's shopping around. I will at least stick by that number for sure.

sheshovel
03-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Don't forget your 2nd delivery unless you can deliver all 4 yards in one load you are delivering the second load absolutly free of charge and loosing the gas money too.and the time involved

6'7 330
03-14-2006, 02:09 AM
100$ a yard with easy access.We get mulch though a friend, and business associate, for the cost to truck it to our supply yard.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-14-2006, 06:26 AM

This type of post is the problem with this site. I suppose Team Green was born knowing everything and has never asked a question to anyone about the Green industry. Last time I checked this site was about sharing knowledge and experiences. Just disrespectful.......and sad.

As for the mulch job......I now know why I am getting my bids accepted. I charge $55-$60 per yard for straight forward installs. Edging and weeding are more. Delivery is $40 per load. So I am at $280 + tax with one load.... Yes I have insurance and licensing, for my LLC.......

cedarcroft
03-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Sheshovel,
I am assuming he can take 4 yards of mulch in a load. I regularly put 4-5 yards of mulch in an f250. My big truck can carry about 12-15 yards without a problem. But my point is that the delivery charge is for him and his pocket. whether its 2 loads or 1 he has to charge for each load. that will pay for gas and travel time and leave a few bucks in his pocket for the effort. so the end result is that $300 is OK, but not if that includes delivery and tax and such.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
03-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Agreed........Its all relative to where you live & if its a commercial property or a residential property.Some area's around here for that size job all you will get is $300 max...then some of the higher price developments you can get a little more.

this is by far the best answer yet.....you really have to get the feel for your customer type when you are bidding. in my neck of the woods im doing commercial blow ins for as little as 45 per yard....large commercial 10+ yards $55 per yard.......5- yards resi $60 per yard......

one time resi 5- yards $70-$100 depending on how much i think there willing to pay

DESTEFANO3782
03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Here Its About 24 A Yd And Where Installing For 70. Maybe I Should Reconsider And Go Up

Grn Mtn
03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Its funny because I have never done a mulch job just for mulch. It has always been part of a larger renovation, or for one of my commercial customers so looking back on my invoices I see that I was charging $50 per yard installed. If I were to just do a mulch job I would charge $100 per yard installed and delivered, but honestly I don't think I would do just a mulch job, because I use mulching as a tool to help sell other services like trimming. Tremendous profit in trimming and if you can cover up the majority of clippings with mulch it makes the job go a lot faster and nothing looks better than a nice trim and fresh color.

LB1234
03-14-2006, 10:46 PM
BE careful about 'mulch' jobs. In my experience, they assume you are going to perform a little spring cleanup in the bed by weeding and pulling leaves from around the bed. They also think you are going to edge...

I like to figure mulch like this...

My material cost times 1-1/2. So mulch costing me 24 would cost the customer 36. I factor that it takes me 1 hour to spread 1 yard of mulch. 35 an hour labor rate yields about 70 bucks for the 24 dollar mulch. HOWEVER, I have a minimum charge on materials in order to cover travel expenses. 4 yards would not cover my travel/delivery expenses...depending on location and the like. Therefore, I would add a delivery charge to the bill...for only four yards.

I would then explain to the customer that his price is $280 + $75 delivery (or whatever is applicable) which includes delivery and distriubtion of mulch. Edging, weeding, etc. would be X amount more. Now, with that said, this is all assuming there is easy access to the mulch beds for my 10cu.ft. barrels and we don't have to walk 100yds to get to the mulch beds. I would plan on being in and out of this in under an hour with myself and my brother. That's me for a situation with assumptions...

Meadowbrook
03-15-2006, 11:27 AM

Hmmm........how'd you fit 5 cu. yds. in a 6 foot bed when I could only fit 4 yards in the 8' bed on my Ram 2500 with 1 layer of 2X6's on for sides?

Xterminator
03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Hmmm........how'd you fit 5 cu. yds. in a 6 foot bed when I could only fit 4 yards in the 8' bed on my Ram 2500 with 1 layer of 2X6's on for sides?
Great Point

The landscaper
03-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Man, a lot of people around me charge 45-50 bucks a yard. I try to get 50-60 and a lot of times have to throw in edging or weeding to get up to 60. I may try 70 out on a couple people this year and see what there reaction is.

Grn Mtn
03-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Plywood and helper springs :drinkup: