PDA

View Full Version : guy was fired from his job for-

jeffex
03-12-2006, 08:48 PM
I heard a story last week about a guy who was fired from his job for having a side business that had a sign on his truck that read lawn service-ALL AMERICAN WORKERS . He drove his truck and trailer to his day job then did his lawns after work. I haven't been able to google the exact story but I believe his full time employer was afraid that hispanics would blame his company for being anti-hispanic so they canned him. what the hel&!!!!! another American bites the dust to "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

RonB
03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Don't think I'd want someone that politically incorrect (like I am doing now by not using the word he deserves) working for me either. Surely not announcing it with a sign on the truck.

Roger
03-12-2006, 09:31 PM
This may be the story:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=136035

Splicer
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Jesus, Mary & Joseph!!! Hellooooo:hammerhead: ...In case any of you bleeding heart liberals care to remember an American can be hispanic or oriental or indian even!!! And god-forbid yes, even caucasins!!! Advertising that you hire all American workers only helps to prove you are a legit company!

C'mon guys!! What the hell is wrong with you?:confused: :usflag:

jeffex
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Thats the story. I heard it on the radio and was amazed. Its not like he was putting anyone down. He was trying to attract customers that may appreciate a company that doesn't hire people of questionable citizenship, or that they can talk to the workes that show up at thier house.

OnMyOwn
03-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Heads up!

How many American Indian LCO's are on this site?

If you are not a 100% true American Indian, then you are a foreigner, about (10) generations removed. Those of you against foreign workforce should remember your American History lessons regarding the Statue of Liberty?

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This is America. If the folks are legal / legit workers, they have as much right to be here as you!

DSIM
03-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I feel the same way he does concerning what he had on his truck!:usflag:

More power to him! I dont want any illegals working for me. I know that many in this business and many others have gotten wealthy off of the cheap labor and abundant supply of illegals in this country but I want no part of it. Not just because its "illegal", but because of the influx of millions of them who dont care about becoming a U.S. citizen and dont care to learn our language but want to establish their culture here and take all the free benefits they can get from us taxpayers.
I am sick of Americans bending over backwards to keep from offending anyone! The Constitutions does not guarantee freedom from offense. I'm offended at how our country has removed Christian religious symbols from public places to keep from offending those of other religions!

We recently had a Dallas school principle or superintendent who wanted to hire illegal Mexicans to teach spanish!! Guess what? The person who asked for this is Mexican.

I cant keep from thinking that this person does not have the same values. Does not the term illegal mean anything anymore???:hammerhead:

I have many mexican friends but I am prejudice against illegals. So I like the what this man had on his trailer and I can relate to his rationale for doing so.

I like what this one preacher said. he said, your welcome to come to our home, just don't re-arrange the furniture!:)

DSIM
03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Heads up!

How many American Indian LCO's are on this site?

If you are not a 100% true American Indian, then you are a foreigner, about (10) generations removed. Those of you against foreign workforce should remember your American History lessons regarding the Statue of Liberty?

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This is America. If the folks are legal / legit workers, they have as much right to be here as you!

I think what we are discussing is the term American. If anyone is a U.S. citizen, then they are American and could be hired by this man. Its the illegals he's concerned about, and rightly so.

OnMyOwn
03-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Agreed,

but what about immigrant workers, or H2B certified workers?

Splicer
03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Agreed,

but what about immigrant workers, or H2B certified workers?
Talk to me brother...What is a H2B?:confused:

OnMyOwn
03-12-2006, 10:52 PM
H2B is a legal, allowed migrant worker. (9) mos. in the states and returns to Mexico.

Splicer
03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
So a seasonal immigrant?

OnMyOwn
03-12-2006, 10:57 PM
yep....

Not a citizen (yet), just an allowed worker. The program came into effect due to the lack of labor in the industry (I've been told).

Splicer
03-12-2006, 11:07 PM
In that case the H2B is not an American but keeping a job from an American. No, that doesn't fly with me personally. These seasonal people lowball I guess is the term you lawn guys would relate to, and that helps keep the wages down while the cost of living here keeps going up. These H2B do not spend that money in the American communities. They spend it in Mexico. That does jack for our local economy.

If these seasonal immigrants weren't allowed to work here wages would be raised and there would be no shortage of workers. Not to take anything away from you guys, my own son is taking landscaping in HS, but lawn care isn't brain surgery. Lets get the minimum wage raised a bit to a realistic level and go from there.

But that won't happen because there is no motovation to do so since temporary immigrants seem to be in such abundant supply. I realize they want to work but hey, our own citizens have the need as well...It's all a catch 22.

NEPSJay
03-12-2006, 11:16 PM
alot of people think american=white/caucasian

LwnmwrMan22
03-12-2006, 11:17 PM
In that case the H2B is not an American but keeping a job from an American. No, that doesn't fly with me personally. These seasonal people lowball I guess is the term you lawn guys would relate to, and that helps keep the wages down while the cost of living here keeps going up. These H2B do not spend that money in the American communities. They spend it in Mexico. That does jack for our local economy.

If these seasonal immigrants weren't allowed to work here wages would be raised and there would be no shortage of workers. Not to take anything away from you guys, my own son is taking landscaping in HS, but lawn care isn't brain surgery. Lets get the minimum wage raised a bit to a realistic level and go from there.

But that won't happen because there is no motovation to do so since temporary immigrants seem to be in such abundant supply. I realize they want to work but hey, our own citizens have the need as well...It's all a catch 22.

The "illegals / H2B" workers are doing jobs legal citizens have a hard time doing.

I've got friends that are unemployed, yet they won't go work somewhere and wash dishes or work for $10 / hour. They'd rather sit around.

About the H2B workers not spending their money here.....

Um.... they just drink rain water and eat roots while sleeping in the ditch the 9 months they're here??

As for the minimum wage, that has nothing to do with anything, because if you're working for the minimum wage, you're literally handicapped in some way, since anyone, you don't even have to stand upright (wheelchaired people), can work and make $7-10+ / hour.

You do realize that if the minimum wage were to be increased, then that gets passed along to consumers, which then means that your $1 / hour raise in the minimum wage is mute, since everything costs more????

There's no reason that H2B people shouldn't be here, they just need to be on a tight leash.

CuttinUP
03-12-2006, 11:49 PM
His sign didn't say American workers. It said English Speaking American. Get the facts straight!:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

jsf343
03-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I feel the same way he does concerning what he had on his truck!:usflag:

More power to him! I dont want any illegals working for me. I know that many in this business and many others have gotten wealthy off of the cheap labor and abundant supply of illegals in this country but I want no part of it. Not just because its "illegal", but because of the influx of millions of them who dont care about becoming a U.S. citizen and dont care to learn our language but want to establish their culture here and take all the free benefits they can get from us taxpayers.
I am sick of Americans bending over backwards to keep from offending anyone! The Constitutions does not guarantee freedom from offense. I'm offended at how our country has removed Christian religious symbols from public places to keep from offending those of other religions!

We recently had a Dallas school principle or superintendent who wanted to hire illegal Mexicans to teach spanish!! Guess what? The person who asked for this is Mexican.

I cant keep from thinking that this person does not have the same values. Does not the term illegal mean anything anymore???:hammerhead:

I have many mexican friends but I am prejudice against illegals. So I like the what this man had on his trailer and I can relate to his rationale for doing so.

I like what this one preacher said. he said, your welcome to come to our home, just don't re-arrange the furniture!:)

LOVE IT!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!:usflag:

CLARK LAWN
03-13-2006, 01:01 AM
i'm with spilcer on this, i got a couple of jobs last year that the biggest LCO in the area had first until the first week his employee's showed up and they were mexicans,legal and all but either couldn't speak english or did so poorly so the property managers called them up and fired them. I see nothing wrong with his sign more than once ive called a tech line for something and couldn't understand the person on the other end of the phone now if i call and get someone i cant understand i ask for someone that speaks english right from the start only had a hard time with one place it was computer software i took it right back to the store and told them exactly what the problem was in a loud voice.

topsites
03-13-2006, 01:22 AM
His sign didn't say American workers. It said English Speaking American. Get the facts straight!:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

We can pull this one apart until we're blue in the face:
Mexico IS in america, look on an atlas and you will see the American continent spans from the north pole all the way to Tierra del Fuego (southern tip of Argentina) so the guy could've simply meant he wanted nothing but english speaking folks native to the American Continent.

However, somehow I get the feeling this is not the case.
Can one discriminate based on language spoken? Yes, if they speak not a lick of english in an english-speaking country, I think so.
Can one refuse to hire an illegal immigrant? Yes, absolutely, I believe this isn't a choice, it's the law!
But, is it legal to not hire someone born in Mexico who has a legal right (like a visa or a green card) to be and work in the United States, for the simple reason they are not born on US soil? The simple answer is NO, you can NOT do that.

Unfortunately, the sign on the truck is too vague and somewhat reminiscent of a "red" attitude, one which can easily create problems for the company allowing the truck in their parking lot with those signs. All he had to do was not park it on company property, or better yet, remove the signs. Furthermore, more than a few bosses have little appreciation for employees who are 'running their own business' while working for them, if you catch my drift. Generally speaking, 'business owner' employees tend to be more difficult to deal with, can become arrogant at times, and have a tendency to not regard their job at the company as too important, may even end up spending time on the phone with their own customers, and so on.
I've been there, I've seen this, I wouldn't hire a 'business owner' to work for me... Signs or not.
You run a business? Then go do it already, running a business is a full-time job so don't expect to work here, too.

GrassFearsMe
03-13-2006, 01:44 AM
he should sue his ex-employer for violating his right to free speech, and since america is so liberal he will win and the employer will lose anyways. ha ha i love the way this country works. Its sad but true. God Bless Our Troops all over the world.

jeffex
03-13-2006, 06:14 AM
whats funny to me is the threads complaining about low ballers and being under bid. Lets's regulate!! make them get licenses!!! "they should have insurance, pay taxes, blah blah blah!!!! Make an American do all this but put your head in the sand about the future of these illegals. They scare me!! Yes they do work hard, so would I it I could get 10 times what I would earn in my country. They are not dumb. I'm willing to bet they have goals of starting their own businesses in the future. Some of those same posters don't see illegals starting their own businesses and cornering the market altogether. Many illegals are afraid of being caught but as they spend more time here they see our GOV. does nothing to punish them for their illegal entry into this country.In fact they are welcomed with free schooling for their kids and free medical care. They are emboldened and weave into the society by learning some English and send their kids to school to learn English. It is that next generation of American born into citizenship by illegal parents that will put most of us LEGALLY born or LEGALLY entered citizens out of the lawn care business. We will be looking back on the day when scrubs and low ballers were the only problem. It will happen slowly and in the next generation but without penalty for hiring illegal labor we will all put ourselves out of a future for our kids to be green industry owners. As far as us all being Americans- come on- I don't even live on the same planet as people from Hollywood- I have to work for a living

heather lawn sp
03-13-2006, 06:56 AM
It is that next generation of American born into citizenship by illegal parents that will put most of us LEGALLY born or LEGALLY entered citizens out of the lawn care business.

How's zat werk?

DSIM
03-13-2006, 08:13 AM
H2b workers is just a legal way to get cheap immigrant labor. I still dont agree with it and I dont agree with the theory that theres just not enough Americans for the job. The reason that Americans are not interested in these types of jobs is because of the loss of benefits that were once common even among manual labor. When you remove all benefits and pay a low wage then sure, nobody wants to work for that except someone in a impoverished country.

Its globalization and how we are trying to live in a world without borders and because of this, kids that are in school today are not just competing with other American kids for jobs locally but now have to compete with kids in China, India, & other countries for the same job.

here is some quotes from eagle forum;
Inviting foreigners to come to America as guest workers is equivalent to sending the message: You people are only fit to do menial jobs that Americans think they are too good to do. We will let you come into our country for a few years to work low-paid jobs, but you have no hope of rising up the economic and social ladder.

France and Germany have already demonstrated the folly of a guest-worker economy. They admitted foreigners to do low-paid jobs, and now both countries have thousands of foreign residents who do not assimilate, who burden the social welfare system, and who become more disgruntled and dangerous every year.

http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2005/dec05/05-12-14.html
the article is called Amnesty/Guest-Worker is Immoral

jeffex
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
children born in this country of illegal immigrants are still considered American born citizens as far as I know. I have been wrong before though

WildLake
03-13-2006, 06:13 PM
For our "south of the border" neighbors to become legal citizens is next to impossible without them being weathy to begin with. Its a very long (years) and extremely expensive process.

I think that, if as a means of bettering themselves, they are willing to come hear and work harder than me for less money, than go ahead. Thats competition. Thats how earlier generations of my family made it here.

grass-scapes
03-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I see nothing wrong with his sign more than once ive called a tech line for something and couldn't understand the person on the other end of the phone now if i call and get someone i cant understand i ask for someone that speaks english right from the start only had a hard time with one place it was computer software i took it right back to the store and told them exactly what the problem was in a loud voice.

Wow, what a long sentence.

grass-scapes
03-13-2006, 06:44 PM
I saw mention in this post of raising the minimum wage. Sure, we can do that. Then, your employees will want a raise so they can stay ahead of the minimum wagers. Then, in order to give it to them, you will have to TRY to raise your rates. Good luck. Your customers think that you should be paid 8 bucks an hour to mow their lawn.

I gave a bill to a long time client the other day. He had some extra work. On his invoice was a flat rate labor charge of $40 per hour. He said "you mean Im paying you $40 per hour?" This is a commercial account (fast food) I said no, you are paying uncle sam 10 bucks an hour, my insurance company 2 bucks an hour, paying machine time of 12 bucks an hour and paying me 16 bucks an hour, of which I will pay an additional 4 bucks an hour in taxes and misc. stuff. You as a business person should know this.

Got the check, no other questions. LOL. Anyway, if the minimum wage increases, your clients won't understand when you try to raise rates, then shop around and find those lowballers and scrubs everyone hates.

DSIM
03-13-2006, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=topsites]

But, is it legal to not hire someone born in Mexico who has a legal right (like a visa or a green card) to be and work in the United States, for the simple reason they are not born on US soil? The simple answer is NO, you can NOT do that.

As an employer you dont have to hire anybody that you wouldnt want working for you. Unless you believe in affirmative action!

There are people in this country who would tell you otherwise and some of them want to make it a crime, for a religious establishment to refuse a sodomite (biblically correct term) for a job.

I dont follow that line of thinking. I hire who I chose to hire and refuse to let the government tell me otherwise.

Unfortunately, the sign on the truck is too vague and somewhat reminiscent of a "red" attitude,

you mean patriot attitude?

JKOOPERS
03-13-2006, 07:56 PM
imo anyone thats NOT BORN in the US is a foreigner. theres an apartment development a few minutes from me that Gundaker Commercial hired rats to do the work and it turns out just the other day the police arrested 20-25 meximelts that were here illegally. Those jobs should been for the actual US citizens that pay taxes and contribute to this country , not some H2B worker F that . this is the sh!t that pisses me off . this is :usflag: not mexico

Splicer
03-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I saw mention in this post of raising the minimum wage. Sure, we can do that. Then, your employees will want a raise so they can stay ahead of the minimum wagers. Then, in order to give it to them, you will have to TRY to raise your rates. Good luck. Your customers think that you should be paid 8 bucks an hour to mow their lawn.

I gave a bill to a long time client the other day. He had some extra work. On his invoice was a flat rate labor charge of $40 per hour. He said "you mean Im paying you $40 per hour?" This is a commercial account (fast food) I said no, you are paying uncle sam 10 bucks an hour, my insurance company 2 bucks an hour, paying machine time of 12 bucks an hour and paying me 16 bucks an hour, of which I will pay an additional 4 bucks an hour in taxes and misc. stuff. You as a business person should know this.

Got the check, no other questions. LOL. Anyway, if the minimum wage increases, your clients won't understand when you try to raise rates, then shop around and find those lowballers and scrubs everyone hates.

And I'll say it again...its all a catch 22.:hammerhead:

zim bob the landscaper
03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
idk i was born here and everything i dont like when i cant understand people when the talk to me. i think they need to learn english before they come over here. where my dad works they have one white guy and the rest spanish or brazilian. i help them somtimes and not all of them know how to speak english so im like yupp, uh uh and then there is a guy that does speak english hes also brazilian and he told me what he said and he said thanks for the help and i said it is no problem. there all nice very hard working guys. i dont have a big problem all i know is i probably will only hire people i can understand. well i got to go its lighting here.:waving: