PDA

View Full Version : My most recent project...

thepawnshop
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
OK, this is my first time trying to insert photos so lets see how this goes.

The site I am working on now from what I am hearing was used to dump alot of rock form an apartment complex that developed years ago. SO my biggest challenge has been moving these things. THe last time I had to deal with these friggen monsters, I had a JD 160 excavator and a JD 655 Series 2 track loader on site. Unfortunately, it looks like the excavator is coming back for a week. I need to slope the front yard at an angle (about 30%) and put the large stones in strategic places for landscaping. I also plan on taking the larger excavator and digging a pretty big hole to bury the smaller crap stone.

Here is what I am up against...the last shot is what I need these two front yards to look like.

thepawnshop
03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
The first pic was messed up...so here it is again:

Scag48
03-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Better call in for a 200...Those things are the size of Volkswagens. You could probably roll them around with a 160 but you might not be able to lift them, espcially on that slope.

Gravel Rat
03-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Those rocks are not big heck we were moving rocks bigger than that with a 161. The largest boulder we dug out it it was massive a 690 John Deere could just roll it. It would take two machines to lift it so all we did was dig a ledge out on a bank and stuck the rock on the ledge. It was the largest and smoothest boulder we have ever encoutered it was the size of a 1/2 ton regular cab P/U truck.

Those rocks that Doug has if he can have a hydraulic hammer on a mini excavator to split them in half it will make them more managable. You can roll them but with the house being so close it would be pretty crappy if it got away and rolled into the house.

Thats why I meantioned in Doug's Kubota post make sure the machine has plumbing for a breaker sure its hard on the machine but when you get big rock nuggets like in the pictures you need to split them.

sheshovel
03-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I dunno those stones are pretty beat up and will look pretty ugly in the landscape imo...I would bury them in the slope

thepawnshop
03-12-2006, 11:16 PM
GR...I like keeping the big ones whole when possible...they make awesome landscape pieces. In fact, I have one the size of a VW bug between two lots and a potential buyer of another house wanted to know if I could move it to the lot they were interested in. I assured them that there were many more where this one came from! Sheshovel, I know they aren't the smoothest but hell, I have already buried so many I am running out of room to bury any more!!!!

Gravel Rat
03-13-2006, 12:49 AM
You can move them around with a smaller machine it just takes a little more effort. When you are building the wall you make sure everything is right before you start moving the rock. Usually with a small machine you only have one shot at it. You can move larger rocks with pulleys and cables if you have a dead man to hook to you can pull a decent size rock with a 2 part line.

A tandem axle dump truck load of wall building boulders is 300-350 dollars a load most residential walls take 2-3 loads. Some projects take 10 loads the boulders are 300-2000lbs.

Scag48
03-13-2006, 01:37 AM
That's a pretty decent price on boulders for a truckload. Well, I guess you guys have an abundance of them. Hahaha.

Gravel Rat
03-13-2006, 01:48 AM
The best boulders are blasted from a big chunk of solid rock they are more uniform and stack the best. Boulder walls are the most economical way of leveling up a area. The only problem is the max height is 4' any taller then it needs engineering and certified.

Scag48
03-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I hear ya man. I would have loved for a 6 foot wall I built last summer but the engineering costs and hassle with getting an engineer to actually come out and do the job for us was astronomical.

janb
03-13-2006, 04:31 AM
.. loved for a 6 foot wall I built last summer but the engineering costs and hassle with getting an engineer to actually come out and do the job for us was astronomical.

The one time I went to the trouble of getting the engineering... I found their specs very difficult to comply with, (buried and inclined anchor 2'x2'x6' ecoblocks @ 90 deg to run of wall and tied together) I ended up terracing the wall in multiple 4' heights, stepped back a tad over 4' between layers so as not to exceed 1:1

The engineered method would have disturbed far more soil, and would have required significant hand compaction and fill, and jeopardize the integrity above, (unless very cautiously done).

yardmanlee
03-13-2006, 07:39 AM
would that be locust grove lane up near glenvar or is that another subdivision
going in some where else ? and do ya need someone to finish landscaping those homes ? just wondering

Thanks

thepawnshop
03-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the offer, Lee. I have two guys that handle that for me, but I will definately keep you in mind for future finishing projects. I really don't enjoy the fine detail work...just making the mess!

The subdivision is in Northeast Roanoke. AS you are heading down Orange Avenue towards Bedford, turn left just past United Rentals (13th street). At the end of the street you see the mess that I call Locust Grove. I have 8 more units to be built...should be finished by summer next year, then it will be time to find another subdivision!