PDA

View Full Version : Flat-Free wheelbarrow tires

mdvaden
03-13-2006, 04:35 AM
How many of you people have switched to flat free solid wheelbarrow tires?

I think Sears sells them. For sure, Les Schwab the Pacific NW tire dealer sells them.

Les S. even sells mntn. bike tires that are solid, and will fill hand truck tires, although they sell them ready made too.

I plan to eliminate all tube tires this year.

hosejockey2002
03-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm most likely going to do it, but, jeez $50 for a wheelbarrow tire is steep, even if I never have to put air in it again....

drsogr
03-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm most likely going to do it, but, jeez $50 for a wheelbarrow tire is steep, even if I never have to put air in it again....

You think its steep.

Just think of how ofton you get to a job and your tires a little low. Just think about how much it would ruin your day to get a tree thorn in your tire. I got a tree thorn in mine, realized it was time to get a flat-free tire.

I will get my money out of it....as much as I use my jackson wheel barrows.

ripple
03-13-2006, 07:39 PM
If my wheel barrow tire goes flat I immediatly get one of those run flat tires. Because a wheel barrow with a flat is just a big heavy bucket!
I have over 5 wheel barrows in my fleet.

desertrat
03-13-2006, 10:12 PM
All my Wheel Barrows have flat free tires. I destroy a wheel barrow every few months and just change out the wheel. I use them to install decorative rock, load them with a skidsteer to run through small gates.

Doug Z.
03-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I hate those tires. I had one on my new wheelbarrel, and if you put any load in it, they feel flat. I complained, and they gave me a new tire to try, I'm not holding my breath though.

hosejockey2002
03-14-2006, 01:44 AM
You think its steep.

Just think of how ofton you get to a job and your tires a little low. Just think about how much it would ruin your day to get a tree thorn in your tire. I got a tree thorn in mine, realized it was time to get a flat-free tire.

You're absolutely right, which is why I plan to get a flat free tire. I just wish they didn't cost so dang much...payup

Mr. Vern
03-14-2006, 02:18 AM
I've never bought them because I had been told that they are too bouncy. Has anyone had a problem with this. I can't even imagine one on a mountain bike, I know that would be too bouncy. They have to be targeting the guy who rides a mountain bike looking Kmart special around the neighborhood with his wife and kids. THere aint no way a real mountain biker is going to buy one of those.

drsogr
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I actually think they are less bouncy.....

desertrat
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
I used to do a lot of mountain biking and some road racing, totally different thing. First, weight is one of the biggest factors on a bike,when combined with distance. You are not pushing a wheel barrow 100 miles, and there are so many inherent inefficencies with a wheel barrow, the weight of the tire is not a real problem. Second, you are not looking to push a wheel barrow 30mph against other guys with air tires. If the wheel barrow was empty, and you were racing other guys around a track, air tires would be best, as well as a carbon fiber "tub", aluminun handles, a Dura Ace hub, 28 spline wheels, etc. A flat tire costs me money, bottom line.

Mr. Vern
03-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, you guys have convinced me to try one. But if it is too bouncy, I'm gonna tell my guys it was your idea.LOL Sure would be nice to not have to carry the tire pump in all of our rigs. Nothing worse than getting a wheelbarrow full of concrete and discovering that the tire won't hold air.

CrewCutEnterprises
03-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I actually think they are less bouncy.....

Agreed, we have one of the heavy duty wheelbarrows. single wheel flat free was 195.00

Expensive yes, not going through a wheelbarrow every 6 months.... priceless.

Load it to the top with gravel, topsoil, block, and it still doesnt flex, o and the tire, never budges.. Spend the money. I also just go all my mowers $(500.00) for the tires to be foam filled. NO more air tanks on trucks and no more flats...

AHHHH

klkanders
03-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Being the owner of the company you want the flat free tire.
They do push much harder than an air tire with a good load however.
We have both. I always find myself grabbing the air one.

Flat free bouncy? - Nope - Pull both out the back of a truck fast onto tire.

Mr. Vern
03-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Being the owner of the company you want the flat free tire.
They do push much harder than an air tire with a good load however.
We have both. I always find myself grabbing the air one.

Flat free bouncy? - Nope - Pull both out the back of a truck fast onto tire.
I had been told once that they were bouncy so I never tried them. Sounds like that was bad advice. You mention harder to push, is this significant enough to effect productivity?

CrewCutEnterprises
03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Get one.. Then come back, and thank us.

Landscape25
03-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I was thinking about buying one with two wheels but I think I will stick with the air if they are easier. That way I can have two flat wheels.

The Yard Barber, Inc.
03-16-2006, 12:36 AM
I mean I hard for my company, the way i see it is if something makes it harder to push a wheel barrow. When i tried one, it made it harder to push trough the sand. If i take a little air pressure out of a normal tire, it makes it a little easier. With a solid tire, the shocks are taken out of the wheel barrow and the air pressure is constant

drsogr
03-16-2006, 09:07 AM
It is a little harder to push....You will notice...but its not anything signifigant. Its only when the load is completely full that you even notice.

Mr. Vern
03-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Get one.. Then come back, and thank us.
You gotta deal!

mdb landscaping
03-18-2006, 05:39 PM
we just filled all 8 of our wheelbarrow tires. $37 a pop.....but definately well worth it. The number of flats we got a year was ridiculous. it makes the wheel barrows a little heavier loading and unloading out of trucks, but it has more pros then cons. they arent that bouncy at all. full loaded they roll really nice.

koster_irrigation
03-19-2006, 09:31 PM

Your time is worth at least $50 an hr, thats about how long it takes to fix a wheelbarrow tire that has come off the bead.

Your off to the tire store to have the valve core removed to blow enough air back in to repop the bead.

Grn Mtn
03-20-2006, 09:39 AM
I have a poly dual tire, a poly single tire, and a metal single foam tire. I love the stability of the dual and the fact that you can wipe the sweat from your eyes without stopping, love the single poly for how light and maneuverable it is, but if I have to move rock over rock, you have to pick the "beast" the metal with foam tire. Its a weird feeling, definitely not like an air filled tire, and NO Bounce, maybe that is why it feels different. I would say it is slightly harder to push but not enough to slow down productivity.

bam
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
i go to home depot or lowes and buy the wheelbarrows. true tempers are about$70 with flat free tire and the metal tray and handles. theyre 6 cu ft. for just mulching, soil, or moving plants around they are fine. for a hardscaper i would spend an extra $10 and get a jackson contractor barrow. I have over 20 wheelbarrows. a few years ago, all were the air tire. we got some flat free tires, they were expensive, especially to put on a tub and handles that were a few years old. do the math. if your getting a tire for $40 or 50 or a new one for $70. Some are over 6 years old and still going. others break beyond repair after a year.

bam
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
i go to home depot or lowes and buy the wheelbarrows. true tempers are about$70 with flat free tire and the metal tray and handles. theyre 6 cu ft. for just mulching, soil, or moving plants around they are fine. for a hardscaper i would spend an extra $10 and get a jackson contractor barrow. I have over 20 wheelbarrows. a few years ago, all were the air tire. we got some flat free tires, they were expensive, especially to put on a tub and handles that were a few years old. do the math. if your getting a tire for $40 or 50 or a new one for $70. Some are over 6 years old and still going. others break beyond repair after a year.

drsogr
03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I only buy the jackson wheelbarrows..I have yet to see one with a flat free yet. Hopefully they will come out before I need one!