PDA

View Full Version : Does Tilling crab grass lawn solve problem?

billsfanvt
03-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Quick question, by tilling a portion of a lawn then steal rake out the clumps; and adding some new soil to even out the grade. Would that fix some one's lawn or would the crab grass seeds come through.

AGLA
03-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, your crabgrass from last year is dead. The seeds will start germinating in a few weeks. Now and the next few weeks is the time to put down crabgrass preventer. It is a germination inhibitor.

sheshovel
03-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Crab grass will reproduce from every little scrap of plant material that you chop up and then miss with your rake.You will actually be propagating more crabgrass by using the method you describe above..alot more.

billsfanvt
03-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Where can I find this crab grass preventer, is it located at any lawn and garden store. Also, it is probobly going to snow a few more times before the winter is offically done, so is it absolutly necessarily to wait until then or can I sneak the crab grass preventer in on a nice day?

barefootlawnsandlandscape
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Apply a contact herbicide, wait 36 hours then till the soil. Don't put out a pre-emerge if you are planning on seeding or sodding the area, this will inhibit the establishment of the new grass especially seeding. If you put out the pre-emerge and then till you will waste that application since you broke up the barrier. Once the seed is up or sod is tacked then apply the pre-emerge. If any crabgrass seeds germinate post-emerge with MSMA. You can get the pre-emerge at you local store or your local fert. supplier. Prodiamine (Barricade, Kerb) or Pendimethalin (Pendulum, Lesco Pre-M) is the best for crab grass prevention.

AGLA
03-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Crabgrass is an annual. It is dead. It is not coming back no matter what you do. The only way you will have more crabgrass this year is if seeds germinate new plants. It is the easiest weed grass to control because of this.

Scotts step one is an example of a fertilizer with pre-emergent crabgrass control in it. Any garden center or box store should have crabgrass preventer. There is also a good crabgrass killer for later in the season that also works well on nutsedge, I don't know the name.

My guess is that you have a different weed grass than crabgrass, if it is looking anywhere close to alive at this time of year.

billsfanvt
03-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Thankyou guys for your quick reply, this site is amazing, everyone is so helpful and knowledgable. My hat is off to all members thanks again and I positive more questions will come.:clapping:

start2finish
03-14-2006, 08:25 AM
i disagree with the contact herbicide recommendation. You cannot kill something that is dormant. Your only option right now is the pre-emergent. This would also inhibit any seeds you plant. Trimec-gold contains MSMA cant spell the official term mono something,something,acid. this is fairly effective in controlling crabgrass. You must wait until it is growing and as long as the new grass has been cut twice you can apply it. over seed this fall and get on a program with pre-em every spring. after next season you will have good control if you stay on it.

Xterminator
03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Crabgrass is a Annual it comes back from seed not Root or pieces .

PSUturf
03-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Use the pre-emergent herbicide siduron, also known as Tupersan, if you are going to be seeding this area in the spring. It will prevent germination of crabgrass seed but not turfgrass seed.
The more you disturb the soil, by way of tilling, the more weed seeds, including crabgrass, you will stir up.
A very good post emergent control for crabgrass is Drive 75DF. It requires the addition of a spreader/sticker.

AGLA
03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Thank you, xterminator.

It is not dormant. It is dead!