PDA

View Full Version : just like me to overprice......

bigjeeping
03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Well one of the first few estimates I gave this year was for $68/cut or $1500 for the season. It was to one of those rich guys who has everything.

A week later...........

Today I gave an estimate across the street from his house and did a double-take at his lawn. $68 is OVERPRICED! I think $56/cut is more reasonable. That's a big difference.

What should I do? I'd feel stupid as hell calling this rich guy and telling him "oh I had a 2nd look at your lawn"

I have devoted my business this year to charging above market, but I think this was overkill. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Rev. Crabgrass
03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
have you heard from him about the price on the first bid?

REV.

bigjeeping
03-13-2006, 06:29 PM
have you heard from him about the price on the first bid?

REV.

No, and I have a feeling I won't be hearing from him!

Remsen1
03-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Tell him you just started a special of X% off for signing up now.

HOOLIE
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
If the second guy signs up, offer the first guy a "discount" since you won't have to move the truck.

Splicer
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Be honest. Call and tell him you were evaliating another home in the area and re evaluated his since you were there and are happy to inform him that you can offer a substantial price break if he is still interested in your services. The key here? BE HONEST!:usflag:

MMLawn
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Of course not always but....BEWARE of those "rich homeowners"....those are normally the ones that are only "rich" because they have every credit card maxed out and owe every bank in town. And guess what? When it comes bill time each month guess who "rich guy" pays first and last?

Sir mowsalot
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
If you get the guy across the street, then call the first guy and tell him you can give him a cheaper price since they will be grouped together, and that saves you time, which is true.

CAG
03-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Of course not always but....BEWARE of those "rich homeowners"....those are normally the ones that are only "rich" because they have every credit card maxed out and owe every bank in town. And guess what? When it comes bill time each month guess who "rich guy" pays first and last?

i so agree with that.. I had customers so many times with multiple benz's and bmw's in the drive way of a big beautiful house that i said to myself what am i doing wrong.. Then i find out I'm in a better financial position then them.. all they do is charge and charge they cant even pay the couple thousand dollar landscape bill but have 250,000 worth of cars and a million dollar home... I had one guy that every time i saw him he was dressed in a nice suit, had a rolex on and driving a benz, and get this always walking around the yard talking on two cell phones.. After a couple of thousand racked up he called me and said he wants his kid to start learning a lesson of what it is to work hard like he and i do so hes going to make his son cut the grass. So i still did the neighbors and when i wasn't busy i would go over their and see what was up with the money and he blamed it on his secretary's, wife , and book keepers. the thing was he would send me checks that were not signed, not made out to my business,parschal payments and such. Took him about 8 months to pay ..LOOSER...

T-Trim
03-13-2006, 11:50 PM
If your not worth a contract F them. I Go to the next one.
Your human too you need the money just as bad as the next person.
But the contract fixes most problems plus a lawyer you might know helps.
Just outline your work in the contract you're see.

Gatewayuser
03-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Be honest. Call and tell him you were evaliating another home in the area and re evaluated his since you were there and are happy to inform him that you can offer a substantial price break if he is still interested in your services. The key here? BE HONEST!:usflag:

I saw my customers in your pic again, the other street I have more. I will stop by and say hi tomorrow if your home. I would be willing to load everything up if you would like to see my equipment. :waving:

Splicer
03-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Hilarious! Excellent brother...Stop on by, love to met a cool enterprising young man. I think the rain stopped. Don't go outta your way but love to see the equipment.

topsites
03-14-2006, 12:58 AM
That craftsman won't last once used commercially, sears may even get tired of seeing you every 30 days for warranty issues.

Gatewayuser
03-14-2006, 01:14 AM
That craftsman won't last once used commercially, sears may even get tired of seeing you every 30 days for warranty issues.

Leave him alone he's got to start somewhere, I started with a mtd 38" in 1999 and used it until 2002 and it lasted just fine.

spoolinaround
03-14-2006, 01:39 AM
well atleast the motor will last a while considering that it is a kohler, and the hydro unit should go atleast a thousand hours, the only thing I would worry about is the spindles and blades